Dish Anywhere App Remote

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jimmost

Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
How exactly does the dish anywhere app remote control work to control your TV volume and power with an ipad? How does it communicate to the TV to control feature when the ipad does not use IR? Does the hopper itself send an IR signal to the TV? I have an ipad with the dish anywhere app and it will not control the TV volume or power.

Thanks

The App communicates to the Hopper using the internet. Your Hopper and iPad would both need to be connected to a network.

The Dish anywhere app doesn't control the TV power or volume, the dish explorer app does.
It works because the Hopper like all previous dish receiver models has an IR blaster built in.

The Dish anywhere app doesn't control the TV power or volume, the dish explorer app does.
It works because the Hopper like all previous dish receiver models has an IR blaster built in.

So, the hopper must be in range of the tv or the transmission of the IR signal from the hopper won't reach the tv. Correct? My hopper is behind a cabinet and has no direct or indirect line of sight for an IR blast to reach the tv. Could I use an IR repeater to get the signal from the hopper to the tv? Thanks for the response.

It now can with the update for the iPad app that just came out a few days ago.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It now can with the update for the iPad app that just came out a few days ago.

Yes now it can, at the time of my post it couldn't. My answer was still correct though it controls TV and in my case audio system by an IR blaster.

I realize that. That's why I put "now" in my post. I wasn't saying you were wrong, just getting the word out to the folks that may not know there is an update.

Last edited:
I've installed the latest version of Dish Anywhere despite not having a Hopper w/Sling (have original Hopper). I was wondering what the app could do without Sling. Specifically, I was wondering if the remote control functionality would work. Unless I'm missing something, the remote control feature won't work without Sling. Is that correct or am I possibly just not seeing how to do it?

I've installed the latest version of Dish Anywhere despite not having a Hopper w/Sling (have original Hopper). I was wondering what the app could do without Sling. Specifically, I was wondering if the remote control functionality would work. Unless I'm missing something, the remote control feature won't work without Sling. Is that correct or am I possibly just not seeing how to do it?
Without Sling, the app has no way to communicate with the Hopper.

It can communicate without sling, as long as a broadband connection. The sling is only to transmit the video online. ie before the new app, you could set up and edit/delete recordings from DA with only a bb connection and no sling.

I have never been able to get the Dish Anywhere App to control my TV. I have the latest Hopper with Sling and broadband connected. I also have the latest version of the dish anywhere app, but the on screen remote will not control anything on the tv. Does the hopper need to be in line of site to the tv IR to work?

What device are you trying to use? If I understood Scott's original post correctly, it is only iPads and android tablets right now.

Short of uninstalling and reinstalling the app, no. I still have a Gen1 iPad. Until it is out for iPhone 5, I don't get to play with it.

I don't have Sling but my Hopper does have a broadband connection. I just don't see the remote icon, in the upper right hand corner, that I've seen in some screen shots. Is 4.0.21 the current version (I'm running it on an Android tablet)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts