DISH Anywhere App Updated with New Interface, Enhanced Personalization Capabilities (PR)

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH Anywhere App Updated with New Interface, Enhanced Personalization Capabilities
  • Modernized design features image-driven user interface
  • Discover new shows using personalized recommendations
  • Update available on iPad, Android and Kindle tablets
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH rolled out the latest update for its DISH Anywhere™ app on iPad, Android and Kindle tablets. DISH Anywhere gives Hopper® with Sling customers the ability to view live, recorded and Video On Demand content at home or on-the-go from their mobile devices. The update delivers a modernized user interface and new capabilities that enhance the way customers discover, select and view entertainment.

iPad_Featured_Programs.jpg

DISH Anywhere, featured programs screenshot on iPad. (Photo: Business Wire)

The new DISH Anywhere shifts to an image-centric format featuring large programming thumbnails on a flat, dark background, making it easier for users to navigate to their favorite TV shows.

"DISH Anywhere has been embraced by DISH customers as the premier platform for watching television shows while on the go," said Vivek Khemka, DISH senior vice president of product management. "This is a powerful upgrade; the app's streamlined design creates a user-friendly experience while giving consumers a dynamic way to engage and discover new programs."

DISH Anywhere's added enhancements are detailed below.

Program recommendations: This feature enables customers to discover new shows based on what they are currently watching and what they have previously viewed.

Watchlist: Customers can add shows and movies to a "Watchlist," consolidating desired TV programs into an easily-accessible queue for future viewing.

Recents: This drop down menu gives customers the ability to quickly resume recently viewed recordings and Video On Demand titles.

Media page:This feature aggregates information from the Guide, DVR recordings and Video On Demand into one place so users can easily see all of the available ways to watch a specific program, including, if a show is currently on TV, when upcoming episodes are airing, and whether or not episodes are recorded on their Hopper or accessible within Video On Demand.

What's Hot: Previously available only on Hopper and DISH Explorer™, the What's Hot feature makes it easy to find a TV show, movie or sports event to watch by highlighting the most popular programs based on real-time data from viewers. Programs can be filtered by local or national viewership and different genres.

Remote: Customers can control their TV from their tablet using a built-in DISH remote. This includes the ability to turn a TV on/off, change channels, adjust volume, access the Hopper menu, and set and playback recorded content.

The updated version of DISH Anywhere is available on iPads, Android and Kindle tablets at no cost. It is expected to rollout to iPhone and Android smart phones later this year. For more information, please visit www.dish.com or call 1-800-333-DISH.

Another area where Dish continues to kick ass. Unlike some others where you have to be within your network.

Reactions: KAB
I really wish they would release something for those of us that don't care for Apple or Android. I have a Windows Phone and a Surface RT and can't watch ANYTHING on either of them. C'mon Dish!

I really wish they would release something for those of us that don't care for Apple or Android. I have a Windows Phone and a Surface RT and can't watch ANYTHING on either of them. C'mon Dish!
Unfortunately, you are in a very strong minority of owners of non-apple or Android products. Once the masses are appeased, then you MIGHT get some attention. But I would not hold my breath.

I noticed at the bottom of their promo email they said "Select recorded programs cannot be transferred." (in relation to the HWS transfer recordings feature) I wonder how/why they would do that? trying to appease someone? seems like if the show is on our DVR nobody else should have a say in what device I want to watch it on. just my op of course

Unfortunately, you are in a very strong minority of owners of non-apple or Android products. Once the masses are appeased, then you MIGHT get some attention. But I would not hold my breath.
How are the masses not appeased already? They already have had the Apps for a while now.

How are the masses not appeased already? They already have had the Apps for a while now.
The problem is enough of everyone is appeased that they would rather put more into what they've done than come out with something half-baked for Windows. If you've covered 94.2% of the tablet market with Android and iOS, how much is satisfying the remaining 5.8% going to get you?

Note: market share numbers from thenextweb.com Q1 2014 shipment data

On the old format, you could select the show from the guide and it gave you the option to watch on device or TV. Now if you select watch it starts on your device automatically. If you want to watch the show on the TV you must select more then watch before you get the option to watch on TV. It just added extra steps.

Installed the new version on a Nexus 7 and sadly, the missing channels in my DA guide are well, still missing. I tend to believe this is either a Hopper or a Sling problem. On the new version today, I noted that the PAC 12 (which is not in my subscription) showed up again & out of curiosity, clicked on it just to see - the app instead opened the LHN, channel 407 & began playing it. Not coincidentally, that is one of the channels missing in my guide. Go figure.

New Dish Anywhere app draws notice
Aug 8 2014, 08:40 ET

A new Dish Anywhere app from Dish Networks (NASDAQ:DISH) is creating a minor buzz due to its significant upgrades.
The app has become more personalized and powerful with an interface described as "Netflixier" for consumers.
What to watch: Dish is expected to be a major player in the upcoming online TV battle. The company's over-the-top TV service will include programming from A+E and Disney in a package that could offer consumers an alternative to Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/1918735-new-dish-anywhere-app-draws-notice#email_link

Looking forward to the updated app down the road for the iPhone it's a nice update for the iPad :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I noticed at the bottom of their promo email they said "Select recorded programs cannot be transferred." (in relation to the HWS transfer recordings feature) I wonder how/why they would do that? trying to appease someone? seems like if the show is on our DVR nobody else should have a say in what device I want to watch it on. just my op of course

It has always been that a few recordings can not be transferred. It isn't appeasing anyone - as an example PPV can not be.

It has always been that a few recordings can not be transferred. It isn't appeasing anyone - as an example PPV can not be.
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't the content owner decide whether a particular program can be transferred? Or is it just DISH rules that prevail?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App! Using my iPhone 5.

Depends on the specifics for DRM. It all comes down to content providers and contracts. I'm sure dish tightens down a little bit more just to be on the safe side and appease everyone, but can we all agree that "most reasonable programming can be transfered". Obviously not ppv, but some restrictions on premium content, and everything else is just free willy nilly!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts