Dish Anywhere on Apple TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

40pirate

Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Does anyone know if there are plans to add the Dish Anywhere app to Apple TV? Or is there a reason why i can get it on my iphone, ipad, firestick and fire tablet - but not AppleTV.?

Does anyone know if there are plans to add the Dish Anywhere app to Apple TV? Or is there a reason why i can get it on my iphone, ipad, firestick and fire tablet - but not AppleTV.?
You need to understand the working of how Apple operates.....They have the only say and control of their apps....Android is open source which makes anyone who wants to write the opportunity.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
In the same way that Apple tightly controls the App Store, it also controls what can and can't be done to the iPhone. These controls include preventing users from modifying some parts of the iOS, the operating system that runs on the iPhone.

Some people remove those controls by jailbreaking their phones, which allows them to install apps that are not available in the App Store, among other things. These apps aren’t in the App Store for various reasons: quality, legality, security, doing things that Apple wants to prevent for one reason or another.

Want to Get Apps That Are Not In the App Store?

The iPhone and iPad DishAnywhere apps do have an easy to use Mirroring option built right in to the app that works fairly well.

In the same way that Apple tightly controls the App Store, it also controls what can and can't be done to the iPhone. These controls include preventing users from modifying some parts of the iOS, the operating system that runs on the iPhone.

Some people remove those controls by jailbreaking their phones, which allows them to install apps that are not available in the App Store, among other things. These apps aren’t in the App Store for various reasons: quality, legality, security, doing things that Apple wants to prevent for one reason or another.

Want to Get Apps That Are Not In the App Store?

What does this have to do with Dish submitting an app for the App Store on the Apple TV?

You can’t run a FireTV app (android) on Apple TV regardless if it’s jail broken or not. All jail breaking does is install Cydia and get past the permissions so you can install apps in Cydia. They are still iOS apps.. just not approved by Apple.

To answer the OP.. I doubt it, but I think they should release apps for all the streaming platforms. Not sure how the Dish receiver transcodes shows.. but that can be a reason for just having a fireTV app.

Reactions: ncted
What does this have to do with Dish submitting an app for the App Store on the Apple TV?

You can’t run a FireTV app (android) on Apple TV regardless if it’s jail broken or not. All jail breaking does is install Cydia and get past the permissions so you can install apps in Cydia. They are still iOS apps.. just not approved by Apple.

To answer the OP.. I doubt it, but I think they should release apps for all the streaming platforms. Not sure how the Dish receiver transcodes shows.. but that can be a reason for just having a fireTV app.

Yes, there is no DA on AppleTV because Dish either hasn't submitted an app for it or hasn't been able to get one approved. I know that Amazon really wants FireTV to be successful, and they are willing to give away development resources to make it happen which may or may not have happened in this case. (hey, it worked. I bought one) Apple is not likely to offer a company like Dish such a deal. However, given they already wrote an iOS app, you wouldn't think it would be that hard to port it over to tvOS. I suspect the real reason is probably some exclusivity agreement with Amazon. e.g. Amazon develops the app for FireTV on behalf of Dish, and, in return, FireTV is the only streaming device that has a native app for X number of years.

Anyway, it is all just speculation, unless someone around here has access to Dish's confidential contracts.