Dish Anywhere on Toshiba Thrive

kcburk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Mississippi
I have Android on the Toshiba Thrive. I have an app to test my internet speed and it says my connection is running upwards of 5Mbps. When I use the DA app it says the connection is only 200 Kbps and gives an error message that says my Android device has a slow connection. Any explanation for the discrepancy? Web pages load easily and quickly. But the DA app for my Android device is slow...like dial-up. What gives? As an aside...I have around a 5M connection at home too. Any thoughts welcome.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I occasionally see this pop up on my Thrive, but it is rare. I have Cox 15/2 Mb on my home internet connected to a 722 with sling adapter. I am in my home office with my Thrive connected to my windstream business dsl 6/768k and I'm getting 1425Kbps slinging live tv to my Thrive over wifi. I normally get about the same from the Windstream dsl 6/768k at my lake house.

If he's comparing his home network speeds to the speeds that the app is showing, I guess I'll take a risk and assume that its connected to the same home network. Because comparing his home network speed to his speed on 3/4g away from home wouldn't make much sense.

If he's comparing his home network speeds to the speeds that the app is showing, I guess I'll take a risk and assume that its connected to the same home network. Because comparing his home network speed to his speed on 3/4g away from home wouldn't make much sense.

The speed at home using the same router my 722k is connected to is something like 2000K.

I at first thought it might back a processor limitation. But it streams YouTube videos no problem. But DA is always choppy when away from home.

New development...logged onto DA with my wife's laptop using Firefox. 228k was the Max speed DA achieved. I used speedtest.net to check the speed and again achieved 5+Megs on the laptop as I had on my Thrive. As another check I logged into my Amazon Prime account and was able to stream Fringe in HD on the laptop over the same internet connection. It was flawless.

DA needs a serious rework...

where are you trying to connect from?

I have problems with hospitals as it is slow like you describe or blocked. My stepmom is in the hospital right now and it is blocked and won't work on tablets, phone or laptop thru the hospital wifi, even though Hulu Plus works fine and they have several 20meg public wifi spots throughout the hospital. If my dad switches to LTE Sling works again. I tried to use my Thrive and Galaxy S3 at a different hospital while my mother was there a month ago and I could connect but at 200-300kbps only and it would buffer and eventually disconnect. I couldn't even use WatchEspn or Hulu at that hospital. Otherwise since the last DA android app update I have absolutely no problems with sling on my Thrive or Laptop when at my Lake House or the Condo my dad just bought in Vegas. We connect on many devices, 2 Toshiba Thrives, an iPad 4, Iphone 5, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S3, laptops, desktops.

EDIT: What is your upload speed on your home internet, where the Sling is connected to the receiver?

where are you trying to connect from?

I have problems with hospitals as it is slow like you describe or blocked. My stepmom is in the hospital right now and it is blocked and won't work on tablets, phone or laptop thru the hospital wifi, even though Hulu Plus works fine and they have several 20meg public wifi spots throughout the hospital. If my dad switches to LTE Sling works again. I tried to use my Thrive and Galaxy S3 at a different hospital while my mother was there a month ago and I could connect but at 200-300kbps only and it would buffer and eventually disconnect. I couldn't even use WatchEspn or Hulu at that hospital. Otherwise since the last DA android app update I have absolutely no problems with sling on my Thrive or Laptop when at my Lake House or the Condo my dad just bought in Vegas. We connect on many devices, 2 Toshiba Thrives, an iPad 4, Iphone 5, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S3, laptops, desktops.

EDIT: What is your upload speed on your home internet, where the Sling is connected to the receiver?

Well duh. That's it. The upload speed is slow where the dvr is located. Thanks for that.