Dish Anywhere via Fire TV @ Home

cditty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Northeast Louisiana
So,

I've been using the Dish Anywhere app on a Fire TV stick and it's working quite well.

I'm using it within the home that the Hopper 3 is in for occasions I need the service on another TV for a while.

When the Hopper is on the local network, does Dish Anywhere realize this and stream locally or am I using broadband data as I watch via the app?

Just curious if this counts to my Terabyte data cap (Comcast).

Thanks!

IIRC, the initial authentication is out to Dish and back ,but the streaming is all between yourH3 and the Fire Stick.

So no internet data is involved, only intranet inside your local network.

Depending on your router, you should be able to watch the internet flow as it happens and see that internal streaming does not effect your used data for your ISP's purposes.

So,

I've been using the Dish Anywhere app on a Fire TV stick and it's working quite well.

I'm using it within the home that the Hopper 3 is in for occasions I need the service on another TV for a while.

When the Hopper is on the local network, does Dish Anywhere realize this and stream locally or am I using broadband data as I watch via the app?

Just curious if this counts to my Terabyte data cap (Comcast).

Thanks!

It shoudn't, unless your home network is segmented in an unusual way which would send the traffic to the outside port on your broadband gateway and then back in to go between the Hopper and the Firestick.

No segments...

Everything has designated addresses (based on MAC), so they get the same IP every time.

The traffic monitoring part of my router doesn't work so well. I tried that first.

I won't have my daughter this evening, so I'll experiment by pulling the WAN in the middle of a show. If it keeps playing, I suppose I'll have an answer.

I will report back on this one, though. The Fire stick and Dish Anywhere is way faster of a UI than I expected. If it's staying on the LAN after authentication, then they make a very good pair.

Reactions: ncted
Is Fire Tv just as good as the other smart sticks/boxes or do some work even better such as the shield if you download the app to it?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Is Fire Tv just as good as the other smart sticks/boxes or do some work even better such as the shield if you download the app to it?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I have Roku and FireTV Stick. I've tried the Chromecast and used to have AppleTVs. I still think Roku is the most reliable solution I've tried. All the others seem a bit (or a lot) buggy. Never tried the Shield, but I would think it should work fine if you can get the APK for DishAnywhere to install.

EDIT: I was speaking in general terms. AFAIK, the FireStick is the only supported DishAnywhere solution.

Last edited:
The Roku and Apple TV do not directly support Dish Anywhere. You would need to run the Dish Anywhere App on your phone and cast it to the Roku or Apple TV.
The Amazon 4K Fire TV stick works very well within my home (local network). My son has problems using Dish Anywhere on the Amazon 4K Firestick to connect to my Hopper3 receivers. He keeps getting buffering problems. Both of us have Spectrum internet with speeds of 100/10 Mbps. He is in Columbus, Ohio and I am in Plain City, Ohio so we are only 18 miles apart. My other son in Hillsboro, Ohio has no problems using Dish Anywhere. His Spectrum internet is 200/10 Mbps.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The whole reason I asked that question is that it works so well, I really want to drop a Joey from my account to save money.

The interface on Fire TV is very fast. I don't know if I watch TV enough in that room to justify its own receiver. I do highly recommend trying this if you want functionality on another TV in your home.

Exactly what I did, dropped 3 Joey's to save $27/mo and use a Firestick with Dishanywhere. I get buffering inside the house as well often. Spinning icon for no apparent reason while the show is playing smoothly on the screen, or it buffers/jitters???

The only problem I have encountered with my Amazon Fire Tv stick is that on random occasions my Dish anywhere account has to be re-authorized . I have to go to that website and plug in the numbers it says so I can turn it back on. Also sometimes I find that resetting the fire tv stick from its own settings will clear up problems too.

We use a couple of newer Fire Sticks with our 722 within our house with a fairly new dual band router (for what little we actually use Dish the 722 is still acceptable). While things will play pretty normally and live TV is ok, fast forward and rewind seems to confuse it and cause it to freeze up. I haven't found a way around that yet.

Reactions: TheKrell
I have Roku and FireTV Stick. I've tried the Chromecast and used to have AppleTVs. I still think Roku is the most reliable solution I've tried. All the others seem a bit (or a lot) buggy. Never tried the Shield, but I would think it should work fine if you can get the APK for DishAnywhere to install.

EDIT: I was speaking in general terms. AFAIK, the FireStick is the only supported DishAnywhere solution.
Officially supported on AndroidTV devices like the Shield and my Sony TV . No sideloading required. Makes sense since the FireTV stick runs a variant of AndroidTV.

Last edited:
Reactions: dweber and ncted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)