Dish Anywhere won't play any recorded shows

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
I have been away from home for a few days. The first night, Dish Anywhere worked great. However, for the past few days, I cannot play back any of my DVD recorded events. Live TV continues to work in HD with no problems at all.

When I try to play back a DVR recording, the Dish Anywhere player just sits there with a blank screen. Sometimes, it causes the Dish Anywhere player to freeze up.

DIsh Anywhere is really nice when it is working, but it seems as if I always have some problem or other with it.

What ever device you are watching it on, you need to reboot it. Wouldn't hurt to sign out and in again on your app as well.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: KAB
Gotta say, Slingbox has come to my rescue when DishAnywhere is not working as advertised. I will share that today, when I tried to playback a DVR recordings, the DA just went to LIVE TV instead. I repeated the process to playback my recording several times with the same result. Then I closed and then relaunced the app, and then it played back the recording as commanded. BUT, an hour later I closed the app to do some other things away from the device, and when I returned and launced the app, instead of playing back the recording I selected, it went to LIVE TV. I repeated the process a few times with no change. Finally, I closed and then relaunched the app, and then it played back the recording as selected. I was using my Fire HDX 8.9. I seem to have fewer issues with DA on my Samsung Android tablet, but I've had a few bad behaviors with DA on that device, too. Meanwhile, Slingbox just seems to WORK and work as expected. I've had very few issues with it. Although, on the PC, the I change to a web player instead of the browser has killed my ability to keep the Slngbox window/tab Always on Top using the browser extension. I can't figure out how to keep that stupid web player Always on Top. Yes, DA seems flakey and not nearly as reliable as Slingbox, but DA seems a far more complicated app with all those thumbnails and aceess to content related to our subscription, etc. The Slingbox adds an EPG and just streams from the source, so its duties are far more simple.

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks for the replies guys!

When I returned home last night, I found out what the problem was. When I turned the TV on, the Dish receiver was displaying the dreaded "Your timers have been saved but any recordings have been lost" message on my HWS. I tried resetting, and unplugging/re-plugging the receiver but that did not help. I was forced to reformat the drive, losing all of my recordings.

This same thing happened on August 15, 2016, and I posted about it on this forum:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...dings-lost-message-today.362918/#post-3945087

For the 5 months since that problem occurred, the HWS has been working fine, so I thought the problem was just a one-time glitch, but now it has occurred again. If the drive was really bad, would it work correctly for 5 months and then fail, or is this another Dish programming failure?

I posted this in the thread I referred to above, and I will repeat it here: I wonder if it was really necessary to reformat the whole drive. The reformat occurred quickly, so it was a quick format rather than a complete reformat. A quick format will not repair bad sectors, so why would Dish do a quick format if it had detected bad sectors? If there was file or directory corruption, it most likely could be fixed with something like Windows chkdsk. Did Dish take the easy way out by just reformatting the whole drive instead of repairing the drive? Maybe it was impossible to repair whatever caused the problem? We will never know!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)