Dish Appeal against TIVO denied

Given the size of Marshall TX, I doubt they have a lot of attorneys who reside there and more likely, DirecTV hires "big-time" lawyers from NY, Chicago, etc, etc.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I have been talking with folks from Dish who have been taking notice of some of the stuff posted here, some of the stuff which I am told has never been made public and has only been mentioned in court.

So if your wondering where some of these guys are pulling their facts from, I believe we may now have our answer.
There are many places the documents produced from this proceeding are available. So if something was mentioned in court, it is more than likely public, unless it was a proceeding in chambers that had to be left off the transcript.

Of course, we'd need examples of what Dish Network believes what stuff "has never been made public and only been mentioned in court" in order to prove or disprove the theory.

I have been watching for the past few days and have been watching the Pro Tivo folks that just signed up here in the last few days. What I find interesting is all of them are from the same area in Texas...

Isn't that where the Tivo Trial and lawsuit has been taking place?

If thats the case then I guess I would like to welcome the Tivo legal team to SatelliteGuys. ;)

I just find it funny that all of these guys are coming out of the woodwork since the injunction has been announced as experts. I have been talking with folks from Dish who have been taking notice of some of the stuff posted here, some of the stuff which I am told has never been made public and has only been mentioned in court.

Maybe it is some jury members trying to justify their decisions. Perhaps they thought they would get a high 5 when coming here to have put down the big bad E* and instead found opinion against them...

I don't think that is the case at all. As a matter of fact, I went back through this thread, and I don't see a mass standup from people in and around Marshall, TX. I think it is mainly people that have a legal background that actually took the time to read the case transcripts, as opposed to the people that simply believe DISH's statements.

After all, this is the only thread in the Dish Network forum dedicated to the TiVo v. Echostar lawsuit. There cannot be that many people arguing about this injunction and suit, since this thread is only 63 replies long now, and the only one in existence.

Or maybe there are people that are simply trying to show everyone here the record of the court documents. Analyzing those would tell us more of the story than just what one side says.
Scott Greczkowski said:
have been talking with folks from Dish who have been taking notice of some of the stuff posted here, some of the stuff which I am told has never been made public and has only been mentioned in court.
And that concerns Dish Network? Court case transcripts are public, by nature. As one of the biggest fanboy sites (and that is a compliment), did Dish Network believe no one would ever look back at the court transcripts?

And that concerns Dish Network? Court case transcripts are public, by nature. As one of the biggest fanboy sites (and that is a compliment), did Dish Network believe no one would ever look back at the court transcripts?
I'm sure Dish would rather customers, employees, etc believe their re-wording of the decisions so that their "spin" is what most people see/read. I'm not saying Dish's version is a flat-out lie either but they do do it to put it in more understandable language.

After all, this is the only thread in the Dish Network forum dedicated to the TiVo v. Echostar lawsuit. There cannot be that many people arguing about this injunction and suit, since this thread is only 63 replies long now, and the only one in existence.

The thread everyone is talking about was moved to the Dish/DIRECTV warzone. There is a poster that comments on every other post. The poster does it in batch, will go away for hours and comes back and posts like 20+ posts quoting other posters in a few minutes.

Oh, it's over there? As Elvis said, it may as well be, "In the Ghetto".

It isn't every day a company gets hit with an injunction in full force and effect, yet there is only one active post covering it in the Dish Network forums.

Truth is, legally, DISH/SATS has a long road to travel. The question is whether or not the judge will give DISH/SATS enough time to prove their case.

A) Again, you DVR functionality isn't going anywhere and
2) You won't get out of the contract no matter how much you cry. You might want to go back and read the thing you signed.

Signed what? You think they have my signature on a paper agreeing to 18 months? Last time my contract got extended they didn't say 1 word about it during my dish-n-itup and it wasn't on ANYTHING when the 722 arrived. I only know my contract exists because I read here. Let them bring up a voice log showing that I was informed and agreed to a contract or they can fight my AMEX CSR for disputing the charge.

Signatures are not a requirement anymore for service agreements/contracts. The fact that you use the service, pay your bill, and so on imply that you agree with the contract.

It isn't every day a company gets hit with an injunction in full force and effect, yet there is only one active post covering it in the Dish Network forums.

Truth is, legally, DISH/SATS has a long road to travel. The question is whether or not the judge will give DISH/SATS enough time to prove their case.

Well if you go read the thread it goes round and round in circles, and yes I have pushed the merry go round a few times in there. Not much is going to happen until May 30 when the District Court has a hearing scheduled. Only news I see between now and then would be a settlement, other than that both parties probably will refuse any comments on the case.

That thread is nothing more than a big circular argument over legal minutia, if you want to engage in that type of thing your free to post there to your hearts content, but it doesn't belong in the Dish forum. Kudos to the mods for moving it. :up

Until we get some more real news this is pretty much a dead issue

NightRyder

Last edited:
Until we get some more real news this is pretty much a dead issue
Well, NightRyder, I'll be inclined to agree with that. We shall see what TiVo files sometime just after 16 May. That's when things will get interesting.

Well you and the other guy are doing a hell of a job SPAMMING it to death, so there's really no need for another one.

We should start a letter writing campain to Judge Folsum. We should present the issue that we bought the DVRs personally (for those not leasing them) and why should we have to suffer a personal loss because Dish has to disable them. If you buy any other item where there is a patent dispute they do not come to your house and take it away, or disable it.

Spamming? If it weren't for a few people, most here would believe an injunction is nothing important. :rolleyes:

I try give my opinion, and am met with attacks and misunderstandings of the law.

Truth is, I fully believe that there will be a settlement of some kind. It is the next scenario that bothers me.

Everyone here who believes Dish Network is suiciding this case, like someone who applies to only one college with no safety school, raise your hands.

I sincerely hope there are no hands raised. To the casual viewers of this thread, RELAX. To all the posters having fun with the debate, continue the fun.

We should start a letter writing campain to Judge Folsum. We should present the issue that we bought the DVRs personally (for those not leasing them) and why should we have to suffer a personal loss because Dish has to disable them. If you buy any other item where there is a patent dispute they do not come to your house and take it away, or disable it.

When you buy a computer the majority of the software, if not all of it, belongs to the manufacturer, i.e. Microsoft, who can revoke the license and leave you with just the hardware. I believe is it the same with Dish software.

When you buy a computer the majority of the software, if not all of it, belongs to the manufacturer, i.e. Microsoft, who can revoke the license and leave you with just the hardware. I believe is it the same with Dish software.

That might be, but if you do not apply Windows updates you would never lose functionality you paid for even if Microsoft lost a patent dispute. Is Dish going to make the update that disables DVRs and optional update?

Now again, if you do windows update you can lose functionality, like when Microsoft lost the active X patent fight. Now you have to click to activate a control on a web page since someone patented the concept of downloaded content can automatically activate new controls on a web page (how they won that is another one beyond me). You did not have to apply that patch, you did not have to take any new software updates beyond that date.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts