Dish & Apple?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Saw this today...

I haven't been to DishOnline.COM in a long time so today I punched it into my browser and say something interesting...

Dish is telling people to get their HD movies from Apple via iTunes.

It could just be ads on the site, but I find the number of "download from iTunes" ads to be just standard ads.

Anyone notice this before? I wonder if this means something?

I haven't been there in forever myself. To me, it had the distinct feel of the 922, with tiles and what not. I wonder if the 922 has some Apple TV features in the works, allowing itunes content to be played. I highly doubt it, but it would be an explanation.

Hmm imagine a 922 with built in AppleTV features... now that would be COOL.

The 922 Menus and Tiles do look a lot like Apples icons and iPhone buttons.

Something to make you go hmm. :)

(NOTE: no I don't know anything here, but did find it odd that Dish was sending its PPV viewers to buy / rent their movies from Apple.)

I just went there and it had a banner that had the front of the 922 just above the iTunes HD banner ad.

Attachments

• apple.jpg
    apple.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 320
Here is a screenshot of the page...

I don't know I just find this VERY interesting...

Attachments

• dishonline.jpg
    dishonline.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,053
Saw this today...

I haven't been to DishOnline.COM in a long time so today I punched it into my browser and say something interesting...

Dish is telling people to get their HD movies from Apple via iTunes.

It could just be ads on the site, but I find the number of "download from iTunes" ads to be just standard ads.

Anyone notice this before? I wonder if this means something?

Well, that stinks. We'll never get adult PPV/VOD movies in HD now. :eek:

Hmmm. That could bring Dish a lot of business, especially if there were some exclusive aspects to the deal.

That could also help Apple sell a lot of AppleTV's as well. What if AppleTV's added software support so you could use your AppleTV as a Slingbox.

Just something to make you go hmmm...

I've been mulling over the idea of buying Apple TV for a while, something like this might just push it over the top, if only they had some (if not all) movies in 1080p. And maybe a standard version to watch on the laptop and iPhone when I'm away from the Television.

Isn't Apple TV's highest rez locked at 720p?

In the current generation, yes, but if they move to an Atom/Ion platform, like the Mac Mini is supposed to, it'll be capable of 1080p with 8-channel audio.

Regardless, even 720p content is a big improvement over the 480i that all previous ViP receivers do on TV2.

This would be great!!! There really is not a lot of PPV or on demand on Dish. I was thinking about either a appletv or even a roku player. I really hope something is coming down the pike soon with like this.

This would be great!!! There really is not a lot of PPV or on demand on Dish. I was thinking about either a appletv or even a roku player. I really hope something is coming down the pike soon with like this.

Dish Online has a good bit. I've found the free stuff to have glacial download speeds. I can't speak for the pay stuff.

HD movies via AppleTV stink. It's 720p resolution mercilessly squeezed into a 4GB to 6GB file size, less than what a 480p SD DVD requires. The video quality is hardly any better than SD DVD either. That, combined with the 24 hour viewing window and $7 rental price is a big turnoff.

I'd rather get a PPV movie through Dish, or better yet rent the movie in far better looking and sounding form on Blu-ray. The video stores in my town don't charge anything near $7 for BD rentals, and you can keep them for 5-7 days. Netflix is another alternative.

Maybe when average broadband connections for most people are sustaining bit rates of 20 million bps or better then a device like AppleTV may be able to deliver high quality straight through the Internet. Until that day, physical media like Blu-ray will still offer the highest viewing standards available to the general public. As it stands, I think Apple is fighting a losing battle against Netflix for on demand movie streaming. A growing number of BD players are bundling in Netflix movie streaming, so it may end up being a standard item in most BD players pretty soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)