Dish audit and VOIP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sharper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Got an audit call today. No problems passing, but a note of warning to those (like me) using free VOIP for your receiver to access Dish's 800 numbers.

Because free VOIP typically uses a free gateway to the phone system to call 800 numbers, you have no control over what phone number your call appears to originate from. "pay" VOIP will usually display your number in caller-id, but "free" typically means you don't have a POTS number associated with your VOIP account.

This can lead to a call from the audit team as their computers notice that your number isn't originating even in the same state as your service address.

The Dish auditor doesn't care once the reason for the discrepancy is explained to them, but be aware that this will increase your risk of an audit.

Care to share what provider you have? I have vonage and have never had a problem (yeah, I know it's a pay service) and I know you said FREE provider so I am just curious what you are using.

Sharper said:
Got an audit call today. No problems passing, but a note of warning to those (like me) using free VOIP for your receiver to access Dish's 800 numbers.

Because free VOIP typically uses a free gateway to the phone system to call 800 numbers, you have no control over what phone number your call appears to originate from. "pay" VOIP will usually display your number in caller-id, but "free" typically means you don't have a POTS number associated with your VOIP account.

This can lead to a call from the audit team as their computers notice that your number isn't originating even in the same state as your service address.

The Dish auditor doesn't care once the reason for the discrepancy is explained to them, but be aware that this will increase your risk of an audit.

Actually most providers will show their ANI of their switch instead of your number to Dish, so it's not just the free ones doing it.... believe it or not, even some cell phone providers exhibit this same behavior.

Vonage seems to be okay with Dish, I've never had a problem with 4 recievers.
There system even recognizes my number when I call tech support.

vonage here also. no problems yet. per audit team its ok they cannot charge you the phone fee. they are aware and are looking into this problem. i do not think that will change the audit calls.

voip question

I am unable to get my 501 to call VIA my voip even with the *99 code added. Tech support suggested a DSL filter (i do not have DSL). Does anyone else use a filter. Anyother suggestions. voip service is Nuvio. Thks.

I believe the DSL filter only keeps the DSL from dropping when you pick up the phone line, it won't somehow 'improve' the connection for the satellite reciever.

No suggestions though

Jahntassa said:
I believe the DSL filter only keeps the DSL from dropping when you pick up the phone line, it won't somehow 'improve' the connection for the satellite reciever.

No suggestions though
DSL filters remove the high band used by DSL so a phone only sees the normal "Telephone" frequencies. Eliminates all kinds of problems.

Us Vonage folks with DirecTiVo have been using a DSL filter for years to help connect. Not for DSL, since I have cable HSI, but to filter out some noise so the modem can communicate. That's all the suggestion was for.

Care to share what provider you have?

Currently using a free account on sipphone.com. I only use it for my recievers to call out to 800 numbers and to occassionally call into the house using a gateway, as there isn't a POTS number associated with it.

Generally speaking, my wife and I only have our cell phones for regular calls. I didn't see spending any money on a POTS line or pay VOIP just to save $5/month on my Dishnetwork bill.

Put the DSL filter backwards and this seems to help for some reason, especially on Vonage.

Just another FYI guys.... VoiceStick is offering FREE incoming unlimited numbers all across the US in tons of area codes. FREE! It isn't supported but you can set the account up on a Sipura. Tie in your receivers for free 1-800 outbound calls and have all of your friends and neighbors call you with a local call in your home without burning up your cell phone minutes. Nice! If you want details on setting this up feel free to PM me or maybe we can move this to another section of this site.

digiblur said:
Put the DSL filter backwards and this seems to help for some reason, especially on Vonage.

Just another FYI guys.... VoiceStick is offering FREE incoming unlimited numbers all across the US in tons of area codes. FREE! It isn't supported but you can set the account up on a Sipura. Tie in your receivers for free 1-800 outbound calls and have all of your friends and neighbors call you with a local call in your home without burning up your cell phone minutes. Nice! If you want details on setting this up feel free to PM me or maybe we can move this to another section of this site.

That would be awesome if you could put a tutorial on how to accomplis this. I am paying Dish $5 per month for no home phone (cell phone housesold) and would live to beat this fee!

Thanks
Jason

jericko said:
That would be awesome if you could put a tutorial on how to accomplis this. I am paying Dish $5 per month for no home phone (cell phone housesold) and would live to beat this fee!

Thanks
Jason

It might not be a bad idea to do a tutorial, as it could help out quite a few people here. What forum should this tutorial be in? You do have the up front cost of the Sipura 1001 for around $60-$70 but you also gain the ability to have incoming phone calls not cost you one single minute on your cell phone.

digiblur said:
It might not be a bad idea to do a tutorial, as it could help out quite a few people here. What forum should this tutorial be in? You do have the up front cost of the Sipura 1001 for around $60-$70 but you also gain the ability to have incoming phone calls not cost you one single minute on your cell phone.

I think a tutorial would be a great idea. Alot of people now are just using cell phone and no longer have a need for a LAN line. I was not even able to get Direct TV due to the fact they require they HD Tivo to be hooked up to a phone line. I was looking at getting Sunrocket, but I really dont want a home phone service. If I could show people how they could get around the $5 month charge, I am sure alot of people would take advantage of this information.

jericko said:
I think a tutorial would be a great idea. Alot of people now are just using cell phone and no longer have a need for a LAN line. I was not even able to get Direct TV due to the fact they require they HD Tivo to be hooked up to a phone line. I was looking at getting Sunrocket, but I really dont want a home phone service. If I could show people how they could get around the $5 month charge, I am sure alot of people would take advantage of this information.

First you need to pick up a Sipura 1001. I highly recommend this device. It's small, reliable, and has a very powerful feature set. You can also run 2 VoIP lines on it with a single line phone. I recommend this vendor as I've had excellent service from them:

http://store.voxilla.com/customer/product.php?productid=16150&cat=263&page=1

While you are waiting on your device go to FreeWorldDialup.com and sign up for an account. You don't need their software, just get an account with a number. This six digit number will be your "phone number".

Once you get the device. go to http://www.sipura.com/support/index.htm , and download the latest firmware for your device.

Hook up the device to your network and plug in a phone to the box. Pick up the phone and dial * * * * 1 1 0 # The device will read out it's IP address. Open your browser and browse to this IP to determine if your device needs a firmware upgrade or not. Upgrade it if needed.

Pick up your attached phone handset and type the following:
****73738#
Press 1# to confirm. Hang up.
The device will reboot with a factory-default configuration.

Use Voxilla's configuration tools to set up the Sipura, these tools are awesome since they do all the work for you!

http://voxilla.com/ataconfig.php

That's it... try to dial a few FWD numbers to see if your service works. You can even try mine, it's in my signature. Dial 613# and this will call the echo test.

If your device cannot dial a * as a prefix to the numbers you might want to put in a dialplan like this on the Sipura.

(*x.|**x.|*xx|[3469]11|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|<:*>1xxx[2-9]xxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

Remember... you still have a second line you can configure on the Sipura 1001. You can set up another free VoIP service if you want, like VoiceStick to get a free local number to you. You can also visit IPKall.com and sign up for a free number on WA State that will point to your FWD number.

It sounds like a crazy process but it's actually very easy and rewarding after you are finished. You can always PM me for help when you get stuck.

Question for you folks with voip. I have Vonage and RoadRunner as my ISP. I just had Dish installed this past weekend. In order to test the phone situation, I tried to retrieve my billing statement from Dish. It successfully dials and connects (the message changes from Dialing to Please wait.. could be a few minutes). Then I get the error stating unable to connect to Dish. Is it too soon to retrieve my billing statement or do I have a problem with the phone. I use *99 as a prefix. From the previous postings it seems a DSL filter may help... is this true despite not having DSL? Any other ideas? Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)