Dish Bird Droppings!

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
How do you prevent bird droppings on the dish? Birds in our neighborhood perch upon the top edge of the dish and make nasty deposits all over the lnb side. Is there a way to put something on the top edge to prevent birds from landing there? Does their droppings reduce the signal strength?

Put a cat up there.

No..... Are tehy pooping right on the LNB lens? I thought those were hooded.

Just went and looked at mine. A bird sitting on the top of dish would not be able to hit the LNB. Although they COULD get the dish itself and the LNB arm. You can PAINT a dish and not hurt it it. So my guess is that a little bit of bird droppings shouldn't be detrimental.... except it probably looks like ... well..... anyways.... rain SHOULD wash it off sufficiently.

If you have pigeons or something up there all the time and there's a real buildup happening, you might have issues. Is it that bad?

No, they aren't dropping on the lnbs. It is just all over the middle face of the dish. It really looks bad. I would think there would be something to mount on the top edge of the dish to prevent them from stopping by.

22-2.jpg

:D

My wife just gave me an idea. Put some two sided carpet tape, maybe about 12" long at the top edge of the dish. On the tape put some thumb tacks. I don't think the birds would like that. What do you think! That wouldn't cause any signal issue would it?

I've seen alot of places (not dishes) use long metal or plastic skewers in a star burst type of shape and that keeps them from getting close enough to grab onto something and land.. and it doesn't hurt them..

Hit the Lowe's or HD and look for anti-bird perching. needed some recently for a project down here in south fla. asked in the garden center and they had it.

it's basically the double sided tape with lots of thin metal spikes on it. it doesn't impale the birds, but they don't like the things on their feet.

Be aware that part of the signal comes in right over the top of the lnb's. So that little rats nest of wires might reduce your signal a point or two.

Maybe like the sometimes-recommended snow deterrent, use PAM sprayed on the dish. Just hose the droppings off. A thought.
-Ken
P.S. avoid spraying the plastic on the LNB.

I haven't used one yet but what about one of those Dish covers you can do a google search
to find many retailers even e-bay

Attachments

• a3_1.jpg
    a3_1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 192

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts