Dish Blocked With Snow, How to get to OTA on 722

AJF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
I can't seem to get to my OTA channels, I keep getting "Error 024" .
Oh and Happy Thanksgiving lol!

Snow on the satellite dish would not affect OTA channels that would be received by a terrestrial antenna.

How is your system configured? Do you have a terrestrial antenna for your OTA channels?

I never had an OTA setup, but I certainly do remember reading complaints here that the ViP series receivers would have a fit if they didn't have a satellite signal and wouldn't let you watch OTA. (One of those things that makes you wonder why Dish doesn't just fire its entire engineering team and start over.) I seem to remember that there's some way to cancel it. Try searching on the forum.

I think the OP is talking about not being able to bring up the guide, buy hitting Guide button, to select the OTA channels due to signal loss. What you need to do is press menu, then Guide...that will bring it back.

I think the OP is talking about not being able to bring up the guide, buy hitting Guide button, to select the OTA channels due to signal loss. What you need to do is press menu, then Guide...that will bring it back.
Looks like the first knowledgeable answer.

I never had an OTA setup, but I certainly do remember reading complaints here that the ViP series receivers would have a fit if they didn't have a satellite signal and wouldn't let you watch OTA. (One of those things that makes you wonder why Dish doesn't just fire its entire engineering team and start over.) I seem to remember that there's some way to cancel it. Try searching on the forum.

Exactly. And I tried that KAB, thanks. The guide won't come up at all I think because it does get that info from the sats.

I have 4 722k receivers, all have OTA modules, all hooked up to antenna for years. I've always been able to get the OTA channels during rain fade or blockage but now I can't seem to get it to work, and I've tried everything I could think of (soft and hard resets, local channel scan etc.) I was on chat with Dish tech, lower level and then supervisor for over 1/2 an hour and they haven't a clue. They insist the dish must get a signal for OTA which is incorrect . One of the reasons I added OTA is for just this situation. So annoying.

Well, just take your antenna cable straight to TV I guess. The menu...guide sequence always worked on my 722s. Can you get to the dish to clear the show, or shoot some water to it?

Exactly. And I tried that KAB, thanks. The guide won't come up at all I think because it does get that info from the sats.

I have 4 722k receivers, all have OTA modules, all hooked up to antenna for years. I've always been able to get the OTA channels during rain fade or blockage but now I can't seem to get it to work, and I've tried everything I could think of (soft and hard resets, local channel scan etc.) I was on chat with Dish tech, lower level and then supervisor for over 1/2 an hour and they haven't a clue. They insist the dish must get a signal for OTA which is incorrect . One of the reasons I added OTA is for just this situation. So annoying.

That bold part is only partly true. I've noticed this problem too if my receivers reboot and decide the guide is stale, e.g. after the nightly reboot. If you get no signal from satellite, you will have no guide and nothing to display even when using KAB's technique to get to it. Bottom line: do not reset your receiver when you have no signal on the satellite, or you're (probably) toast on your OTA signals as well.

I remember from my 722k that if it is starting to rain and you turn to an ota channel right then, you will be able to watch ota. But if you wait till the satellite signal is gone and a message comes up that says "acquiring satellite signal" , your screwed. From that point on , you had to wait for the rain to pass in order to establish a sat connection once again to see anything live: sat or ota. Don't try to run a check switch during no satellite connection time like during heavy rain or heavy snow,because you will lose all your sats in your configuration.

I'm handicapped so I can't get up on the roof. I have a fairly complicated set-up: all 4 receivers in a utility closet and distributed out to 8 TV's modulated on different channels , so I don't want to start changing the wiring and how the modulators are set on each of the TV's etc. It's warming up a bit so I'll just wait for the snow to clear (of course the hoses are put away and my wife gave away the Super Soakers lol). Mainly I just thought I was missing something in not being able to watch OTA and it's frustrating since I know the feed is there .
Thanks for your help guys.

That bold part is only partly true. I've noticed this problem too if my receivers reboot and decide the guide is stale, e.g. after the nightly reboot. If you get no signal from satellite, you will have no guide and nothing to display even when using KAB's technique to get to it. Bottom line: do not reset your receiver when you have no signal on the satellite, or you're (probably) toast on your OTA signals as well.

Ahhhh that explains why I was getting OTA channels were working yesterday but not today since they reboot overnight. Thanks, at least I know I wasn't imagining that it did work even when the sat signal is lost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)