DISH Buying TIVO?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If this is true do you think that we would ever see the new DIRECTV HD TIVO?

Personally, I think DISH should NOT buy TIVO, I think that ECHOSTAR should. DISH can then pay fees to Echostar for the use of the Patents.

In addition this will get Echostars foot in the door of the cable operators, could you imagine a cable receiver with TIVO and Slingloaded?

This could be good for both companies.

You should suggest this to them. :)

Yeah I told a friend about this that uses the Tivo he said if this did happen it would for sure move over to Dish Network. He also said the he liked the software layout allot better on the Tivo than the new 922 he said it was to clunky. Either way Dish might get some new Customers as well if this were to happen.

Scott,

I have to agree that I figured Dish was either trying to bankrupt TIVO with dragging out the Litigation or bleeding the value out of the company and then Buy it.

I always knew Dish couldn't afford to write off all of their DVR subscribers. TIVO is a well recognized brand name, but that is it. TIVO has been bleeding red ink for years, as well as losing subscribers at an alarming rate.

TIVO's company worth has been eroding for years, maybe now is the time to buy. This would also give Dish an in to the Cable DVR market especially with the new 922 "Cable version" coming soon.

John
Nothing like eroding the value of Tivo than losing a billion dollar lawsuit, being found in contempt of court, and placing a gun and the power cord to your DVRs in the hands of Tivo prior to buying them at a discount. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I don't buy that argument. If E* is going to buy Tivo, it will be at a huge premium... ;)

Strategically, E* buying Tivo made perfect sense a year or two ago...but not so much today - doubt "Cable" will embrace Tivo or their EchoStar T2200S. Tactically, E* buying Tivo will prevent their DVRs from being disabled---at a huge premium---and nothing more. The only way I see this being a "good investment" for E* is if the FCC requires Cable/Satellite MSO to install a "gateway" device based on open-standards in customers homes. We shall see...

One thing about DISH is they dont leave money laying on the table.

DVR fees are here to stay unfortunately.

One has to wonder if Dish will be more license friendly than TiVo. If they would settle with all the other DVR makers with a resonable license fee to generate good will? If they did, they would probably have a better chance with the 922 for cable.

Nope I have 2 tivo boxes sitting in the closet. the most I can get for a series 3 tivo box is about $30 dollars. I paid $200 5 yrs ago.

The question is would you like TIVO still if DISH owned them?
It wouldn't make a difference since I like both the Dish Network and Tivo DVRs, and hate paying annual subscription fees. If anything, I think we'll see creative new technologies...now, whether they are avaialble to the consumer market (or FiOS, in my case) is another story.

Naah, just to be stubborn Charlie is planning on continuing the lawsuit, alternately sitting in plaintiff's and defendant's chairs and paying both sets of lawyers and proving he would have won anyway. :)

You make him sound like the Mad Hatter at tea time. :D

I think this would be good for both company's. Echostar does DVR's Really Really Really well. Throw the Tivo software and features into the mix w/ sling loaded! Mygod that would be a monster dvr! Charlie, I need to go to the school of Erginnomics! I want to learn! LOL

i'm leaning towards the "wild speculation"

It's going to be insanely expensive to buy TIVO considering how strong their negotiating position already is with any licensing deal. Can Dish really take on TIVO at a price of maybe 3 or 4 billion dollars?

If it's true, this whole thing would look like desperation and horribly poor management on Dish's part. Last possible option where TIVO really gets everything they want.

I think this would be good for both company's. Echostar does DVR's Really Really Really well. Throw the Tivo software and features into the mix w/ sling loaded! Mygod that would be a monster dvr! Charlie, I need to go to the school of Erginnomics! I want to learn! LOL

Hell no! Throw the TIVO software OUT!

And bury TIVO for good.