DISH Buying TIVO?

Other site?

WOW if this is true!

I wonder how long it will take the other site to report this rumor? Oh that's right they don't discuss rumors over there. ;)

BTW did anyone notice it took them a day to acknowledge that Echostar 14 was launched? (And when they announced it on their homepage they called it Echostar IV instead of Echostar XIV?) (I thought that was funny!)

They aren't a site just JL blog. :D

I don't know. (And I don't own stock in eaither company) but Barrons is not really known for being rumor mongers.

are we sure it's even barron's that's reporting the rumor?

the bottom of that linked post mentions briefing.com

"Briefing.com noted the rumor."

Hell no! Throw the TIVO software OUT!

And bury TIVO for good.
I like both the ViP and Tivo DVRs...both have their strengths and weaknesses. Quick question...if E* buys Tivo do you really thing they are going to "bury" the Tivo software, patents, their team of patent lawyers and not pursue infringement litigation against AT&T and Verizon? I seriously doubt E* will pay billions for Tivo just so they can turn-around and dump Tivo's legacy and MSO customers, vacate their patents, and drop lawsuits against AT&T and Verizon. Just my two cents...

I like both the ViP and Tivo DVRs...both have their strengths and weaknesses. Quick question...if E* buys Tivo do you really thing they are going to "bury" the Tivo software, patents, their team of patent lawyers and not pursue infringement litigation against AT&T and Verizon? I seriously doubt E* will pay billions for Tivo just so they can turn-around and dump Tivo's legacy and MSO customers, vacate their patents, and drop lawsuits against AT&T and Verizon. Just my two cents...

I was referring to Bob's comment about adding it to Dish DVR's.

And yes, I'm sure Charlie would like nothing better than to bury them and spit on their grave.

He can keep collecting from the ones that have their current setups, he (and I) ain't stupid. But your suggestions are.

Unless they're in a position to use their patents and technology, I don't quite understand the move. An acquisition would be much much more expensive than all the legal fees they're going to pay when they're done with this silly legal battle they've lost over and over.

At least in an acquisition they'd be taking those legal fees and applying them towards a purchase instead of the penalty/infringement.

The only justification for a purchase would be if they genuinely believe they could have to pay a licesing fee every one of their DVRs to TiVO, but even then it would be many years of paying those fees before an outright of purchase of TiVo would become the lower cost option.

Like others have said, if this was a possibility they just look worse for not doing it earlier.

I'd have expected Amazon/Walmart/DirecTV to swoop in and acquire them first.

If this is true do you think that we would ever see the new DIRECTV HD TIVO?

Personally, I think DISH should NOT buy TIVO, I think that ECHOSTAR should. DISH can then pay fees to Echostar for the use of the Patents.

In addition this will get Echostars foot in the door of the cable operators, could you imagine a cable receiver with TIVO and Slingloaded?

This could be good for both companies.

Maybe you can clear this up..Echostar is dish network or rather one in the same.
Correct???

Parent company.
Why would it be better if Echostar baught Tivo??

i guess when you steal the technology, you need to buy the company. if dish buys it, i may have to ditch my tivo box....which i love.

That was my feeble attempt to see if the rumor has been confirmed via the SatGuys underground network (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• sgt_schultz.gif
    sgt_schultz.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 560