DISH Buying TIVO?

http://www.tribunemediaservices.com/about-us/clients/48190892.html

Oh dear. What's that logo near the bottom of the page? Now, about tivo supposedly using superior guide information. You were saying?

If this is directed to me . . . No. I was never making any comparison on the guide content. If anything only that DISH sucks. My only comparison is the GUI. As you can see DISH is in that list too. So that means they both suck. I am hoping that DISH, once out from under the burden of suits from TiVo, might direct their attention to more accurate information in the guide, descriptions and show dates/NEW. Maybe with TVGuide or TitanTV. Along with a better look.

I have never seen so much erroneous information being openly disseminated and ignored by its recipients.

I don't need any fancy fonts with goofy colors on my guide. I like Dish basic guide just fine. I like the options they offer in layout too, especially with the video window, HD info, quick info screen and I could go on and on. I like the color coded for favorites guide gui. Heck I just like it so much better than TIVO!

And while we're at it, Google can stop the fancy fonts for Holidays too.

Tribune = Zap2It the worst of the programming providers. If only they got it from TVGuide like the logo on the page would infer. But that is only there for visual info presentation copyright purposes.

The new 922 GUI would be great. Fingers crossed that we get it. Or at least something like it. And if DISH buys TiVo that would make it easier to migrate new GUI's like that across all of their holdings without the fear of infringement.

What issues are you having with the guide? Other than last minute changes that result primarily from sporting event overruns I haven't seen any issues.

If this is directed to me . . . No. I was never making any comparison on the guide content. If anything only that DISH sucks. My only comparison is the GUI. As you can see DISH is in that list too. So that means they both suck. I am hoping that DISH, once out from under the burden of suits from TiVo, might direct their attention to more accurate information in the guide, descriptions and show dates/NEW. Maybe with TVGuide or TitanTV. Along with a better look.

I have never seen so much erroneous information being openly disseminated and ignored by its recipients.

You mean like TiVO incorrect and virtually 0 description for BBC NewsNight that is so bad my TiVo series 3 insists on recording the same episodes at all its airings because the guide data is both incorrect and insufficient for the TiVo to prevent recording repeats when the timer was set for New Episodes?

True, there have been and will still be errors on Dish guide data (most often the fault of the channel, not Dish nor TiVo that often has the exact, same erroneous guide data, but not always), but TiVo has at least its share of poor guide data that is nearly as bad as Dish's in my experience of using my first generation Series 3 (2006), keeping in mind that they are provided guide data from the same source: Tribune Media. IMHO, overall, both Dish and TiVo rate about the same--very good-- in the quality or reliability of the guide data.

There is no doubt the TiVo has probably among the best looking backgrounds on its interface, and so does the Moxi HD. Yes, the prettiest colors and fonts that TiVO and Moxi HD have blow away any other DVR's out there. However, overall, as a functioning DVR with features and superior solutions, I still rate the Dish HD ViP boxes easily superior to my beautiful TiVo Series 3. The list item by item list of how the Dish ViP's are superior is too long to get into here, but the point is made.

I will say that the Moxi HD with its 3 tuners and far superior multi-room viewing solution along with its far greater external HDD capacity blows away not just the old Series 3/HD/HDXL, but even TiVo's just revealed TiVo Premier. I like my TiVo series 3, but please make your way to the TiVo forums where you will see TONS of post from TiVo fan boys who are extremely disappointed and upset that TiVo has done almost nothing the last 10 years to bring up to par with Moxi, etc., and many TiVo fan boys no longer like the GUI TiVo has had the last 10 years and find the new Premier GUI not what they thought is should be.

Last edited:
So what does the 922s GUI look like? Pics anyone? P.S. I have no idea what a GUI is.

Someone will surely place the link to Scott's photos and videoin this thread for you, but it is fair to say that the 922 guide based on the SlingGuide resulting in a substantially different GUI from the ViP's. Among the major enhancements is the channel logs on the EPG and the ability to find a channel by its name instead of having to remember the channel number of scroll through hundreds of channels to find the one you are looking for.

You can also got to YouTube where Scott uploaded some videos of the 922 and the GUI.

There is a new HD gui in the new TIVO premiere, but most reviews of it so far are not favorable. Some screens are nice and new and in HD while other screens still look like the old regular TIVO and are not in HD.

A number of them said they feel they sent the new unit out without it being finished. And they also say that the speed issues that TIVO's are know for still exist in this new model, which is a shame, as they could use the speed increase.

The times I did play with a TIVO the thing I liked most about it was the peanut remote, a real nice easy remote to use.

Interesting findings in TiVo's 10-K. The shoe is now on the other foot. AT&T, VZ and MS all suing over multiple patents each.

http://www.multichannel.com/article...Infringement_Countersuits_By_AT_T_Verizon.php

6 VZ patents, 4 AT&T patents and 2 MS patents.

One thing the phone companies know how to do is field a courtroom full of lawyers.

Perhaps TiVo now needs a buyer, since even the Dish 300million will not be enough to pay the coming legal bills...

Interesting findings in TiVo's 10-K. The shoe is now on the other foot. AT&T, VZ and MS all suing over multiple patents each.

http://www.multichannel.com/article...Infringement_Countersuits_By_AT_T_Verizon.php

6 VZ patents, 4 AT&T patents and 2 MS patents.

One thing the phone companies know how to do is field a courtroom full of lawyers.

Perhaps TiVo now needs a buyer, since even the Dish 300million will not be enough to pay the coming legal bills...
Yep, AT&T and Verizon's patent claims are in reply (counterclaim) to infringement cases filed by Tivo against both Telcos. Microsoft filed suit on behalf of AT&T since their DVR products are being used with U-Verse. These cases are probably a wash, but who knows. One thing is for sure...Tivo will not be pushing around the Telcos like they did Dish Network.

Once again, it seems Tivo may soon be a carcass that other companies will feed off of. I certainly hope so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)