Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Thought you meant these anchors. :biggrin
I'm here all week.

TheKrell

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
Thought you meant these anchors. :biggrin
Brings back memories. "Send in your paychecks!" Those were the days.

But you are doing better than me since I drew a blank. I have no idea what "Dish cable anchors" might be. Is he talking about coax clips? Here's something that coax doesn't need. Am I the only one who knows what these are for?

s-l1600.jpg

NYDutch

NYDutch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 28, 2013
Where our wheels go
Brings back memories. "Send in your paychecks!" Those were the days.

But you are doing better than me since I drew a blank. I have no idea what "Dish cable anchors" might be. Is he talking about coax clips? Here's something that coax doesn't need. Am I the only one who knows what these are for?

s-l1600.jpg
Back in the day I installed more twinlead standoffs than I care to remember! ;)

TheKrell

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
NYDutch knows this well. But for the young 'uns, the old TV antenna signal lead was called "twinlead" and it was unshielded. I can't tell you how many times I saw ignorant people STAPLE across those two leads! The signal spreads out from the two conductors, so a staple across the twinlead will short out the RF. And you also don't want to run it right next to an conducting material, such as a gutter, or that shorts it out too. That is the "why" for these standoffs.

NYDutch

NYDutch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 28, 2013
Where our wheels go
NYDutch knows this well. But for the young 'uns, the old TV antenna signal lead was called "twinlead" and it was unshielded. I can't tell you how many times I saw ignorant people STAPLE across those two leads! The signal spreads out from the two conductors, so a staple across the twinlead will short out the RF. And you also don't want to run it right next to an conducting material, such as a gutter, or that shorts it out too. That is the "why" for these standoffs.
Exactly, and standoffs come in a variety of types for screwing in wood to strapping on large pipes and chimneys. The one pictured snaps on a typical 1-1/4" antenna mast.

Foxbat

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
And the good installers would “twist” the 300-ohm twin lead to minimize the possibility any movement caused by the wind blowing would change the impedance of the wire as it moved around any metallic items like gutters, siding, antenna tower, etc. This also minimized induced noise in the balanced transmission line.

Bobby

Bobby

Publican
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Rohnert Park, CA
I am reminded of something I did while in the Air Force in 1962-65. We had CATV in our barracks day room. I had a Curtis Mathis 27" CRT in my room. We were specifically warned that it was illegal to direct tie into the CATV coax on the roof so I did this: With 300 ohm twin lead I wire wrapped the outer sheath of the CATV wire for about 10 feet. Then continued that twin lead to my room bringing it in a window. I had a perfect inducted picture on my TV of all of the 10 or so channels. I was challenged and won. Because I used induction I did not make a wire to wire connection so I was legal! :)