SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Anyone know where you can buy these? Talking about the ones you screw into wood

Thought you meant these anchors. :biggrin
I'm here all week.

1656724108932.png

Thought you meant these anchors. :biggrin
Brings back memories. "Send in your paychecks!" Those were the days.

But you are doing better than me since I drew a blank. I have no idea what "Dish cable anchors" might be. Is he talking about coax clips? Here's something that coax doesn't need. Am I the only one who knows what these are for?

s-l1600.jpg

Brings back memories. "Send in your paychecks!" Those were the days.

But you are doing better than me since I drew a blank. I have no idea what "Dish cable anchors" might be. Is he talking about coax clips? Here's something that coax doesn't need. Am I the only one who knows what these are for?

s-l1600.jpg
Back in the day I installed more twinlead standoffs than I care to remember! ;)

NYDutch knows this well. But for the young 'uns, the old TV antenna signal lead was called "twinlead" and it was unshielded. I can't tell you how many times I saw ignorant people STAPLE across those two leads! The signal spreads out from the two conductors, so a staple across the twinlead will short out the RF. And you also don't want to run it right next to an conducting material, such as a gutter, or that shorts it out too. That is the "why" for these standoffs.

NYDutch knows this well. But for the young 'uns, the old TV antenna signal lead was called "twinlead" and it was unshielded. I can't tell you how many times I saw ignorant people STAPLE across those two leads! The signal spreads out from the two conductors, so a staple across the twinlead will short out the RF. And you also don't want to run it right next to an conducting material, such as a gutter, or that shorts it out too. That is the "why" for these standoffs.
Exactly, and standoffs come in a variety of types for screwing in wood to strapping on large pipes and chimneys. The one pictured snaps on a typical 1-1/4" antenna mast.

And the good installers would “twist” the 300-ohm twin lead to minimize the possibility any movement caused by the wind blowing would change the impedance of the wire as it moved around any metallic items like gutters, siding, antenna tower, etc. This also minimized induced noise in the balanced transmission line.

I am reminded of something I did while in the Air Force in 1962-65. We had CATV in our barracks day room. I had a Curtis Mathis 27" CRT in my room. We were specifically warned that it was illegal to direct tie into the CATV coax on the roof so I did this: With 300 ohm twin lead I wire wrapped the outer sheath of the CATV wire for about 10 feet. Then continued that twin lead to my room bringing it in a window. I had a perfect inducted picture on my TV of all of the 10 or so channels. I was challenged and won. Because I used induction I did not make a wire to wire connection so I was legal! :)