Dish catches no breaks in Robocalling Fine

How doe something like this impact a company? Does DISH have insurance that will pay this fine? Will our bills increase? I hope DISH does not go away. I can't even imagine having to go back to cable or Direct!

Usually, big companies will set aside money to pay expected fines, although you'd have to dig through their SEC filings to know whether they have done so in this case.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The price always goes up. It went up before the Tivo judgement and after the Tivo judgement. It will go up whether they can get out of paying this or not. It goes up on DirecTV and Cable and Netflix too. That is just what happens.

If people really wanted to save money on entertainment, they would do what my super-frugal friends do and buy DVDs and Blu-Rays for almost nothing at discount stores or used ones on eBay. They have an entertainment budget of around $250/year, and they still cannot watch everything they buy. You just have to be ready to wait to see things until you can get it cheap.

The price always goes up. It went up before the Tivo judgement and after the Tivo judgement. It will go up whether they can get out of paying this or not. It goes up on DirecTV and Cable and Netflix too. That is just what happens.

If people really wanted to save money on entertainment, they would do what my super-frugal friends do and buy DVDs and Blu-Rays for almost nothing at discount stores or used ones on eBay. They have an entertainment budget of around $250/year, and they still cannot watch everything they buy. You just have to be ready to wait to see things until you can get it cheap.

Public libraries have a lot of shows and movies available too.

How does something like this impact a company?
No, it won't impact them. They'll spread the amount out over a few years in their 'books' on the accounting side. Check their stock price to see if the 'money' people care or are concerned. This was announced on the 4th. The stock price before and after:

Oct 2 - $53.83
Oct 3 - $54.32
Oct 4 - $54.09
Oct 5 - $54.03
Oct 6 - $53.33

That's a 0.9% decrease and is inconsequential.

Will our bills increase?
Yes. Business do not "pay" fines, pay for costs of regulations, higher taxes, etc, etc.

No, it won't impact them. They'll spread the amount out over a few years in their 'books' on the accounting side. Check their stock price to see if the 'money' people care or are concerned. This was announced on the 4th. The stock price before and after:

Oct 2 - $53.83
Oct 3 - $54.32
Oct 4 - $54.09
Oct 5 - $54.03
Oct 6 - $53.33

That's a 0.9% decrease and is inconsequential.

Yes. Business do not "pay" fines, pay for costs of regulations, higher taxes, etc, etc.
Thanks Hall. You would think companies would have some kind of liability insurance for something like this. I guess that would be too expensive to have.

Quick (so maybe wrong) research tells me that this is just for North Carolina. In June they got hit for $280 million in Illinois.

I picked your post to reply to because you at least seem to understand that there are no such thing as corporate taxes (or fines or blah, blah, blah). Whatever a company pays (for anything) goes on the top line. Revenues go below and if revenue is higher than costs, you've made a profit and you get to stay in business.

Now the awards are ludicrous. From the most recent case:
In January, a jury decided to give $400 to each individual on a registry impacted by a Dish telemarketing campaign. Dish was accused of illegally robocalling these consumers.

U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina Judge Catherine C. Eagles ruled in May that the award should be increased to $1,200 per person
$1200 dollars because you got a phone call?! I get spammed on my phone every day. If I don't know the number, it doesn't get answered.

If I knew I could get $1200 for saying, "Hello? No thank you" I'd start swiping to the right.

Now Charlie is a hard core Democrat, so I don't know how much love he will get with the new administration, but somebody needs to put a stop to the States and the courts lining their pockets on ridiculous rulings.

Reactions: HipKat
Robocalling is a serious problem, and these companies that participate in this crap need to be punished and be made an example of. I've taken every measure then I can on my landline and cell phone, but there are still calls that make there way though. Since nothing has seemed to work, on my cell phone, I started doing the thing you're not supposed to do, I answer and press 1 to speak to a live representative. I engage these scumbags and waste 15-20 minutes of their time by just spouting nonsense, pretending I can't here them and asking them to repeat and pretending I'm shuffling papers. I'm down from 3 - 4 spam calls a day to 1 or 2 every few weeks.

The problem with the if you don't know the number don't answer mentality is if you use your phone for business. Every call you don't answer could be lost money. And further more when did constancy being annoyed become acceptable. Getting junk via snail mail, email, fax, phone, text message, when will it end. We all have a right not be bothered. I don't know if this exists, but I would love it if there was a system where you could upload your contacts to a service, and they are whitelisted. For any number not on this list you either have to press a number or speak your name to get in contact with me. I tried whitelist only on my Spectrum home phone, but they only allow 30 numbers to be whitelisted and I have more then 30 numbers that could call me. I have NoMoreRobo enabled, but junk calls still come in, but just with one ring, and it doesn't help with spoofed numbers. On both the cell and home phones, I'll get calls with the same area code, same exchange and maybe 2 of the last 4 digits are different. If I could use Wildcards * in blocking numbers that would be great.

Last week I got one for a discounted stay in a resort. I thanked the kind fellow on the line and told him a nice trip is exactly what I need because my pet gerbil jumped out of his cage, ran out the door and got ran over by the garbage truck and my wife of 17 days ran off with the ice cream man and it's been a hard week and staying in a 5 star resort would make all the difference in my life so I can get away from it all. After the sales spiel and me expressing interest and asking random stupid questions like does the resort serve Diet Dr. Pepper and if there was a nude beach near by, he asked me for a valid major credit card number. I politely told him that due to the type of business that I'm in I cannot use credit cards and risk having my finances tracked. He again asked me for a credit card number incase I incur long distance phone charges or the hotel room gets damaged. I told him that I just got doing a job for Maria by 'taking care' of her now ex-boyfriend (if you know what I mean), and she paid me $50 large upfront and I'll get the second half of the payment after I swing by the lake. There was an awkward moment of silence and the guy said a credit card is still needed. I proceeded to ask him why the stack of $50,000 I was looking at wasn't good enough, and then asked if $100,000 would be okay. He said he still needed a credit card number to complete the transaction, I proceeded to ask him why my money green enough for him and tell him how offended I was. He then apologized a few times and told me sorry for the trouble and have a nice day. :) I haven't gotten a spam call on my cell phone since and it's been about 10 days, a new record!

I try the don't answer unless I know the number thing. When a call does get through, I often put them on hold until they finally give up. I seem to be getting less these days, but it is hard to tell for sure.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't think Dish will suffer too much from this wrist slap, nor should their subscribers. If my calculations are correct, $61 million spread over about 13 million subscribers for a year amounts to around 39 cents per month each. I'm pretty sure Dish could absorb that without anyone going without lunch money.

Reactions: littlecloud319
Yup, everyone will pay for this.

The will start by screwing the retailers as they where the ones Dish put the blame on.

After they are done with the retailers they will move to the sub contractors and eventually raise everyone’s bill.

Typical dish

I don't think Dish will suffer too much from this wrist slap, nor should their subscribers. If my calculations are correct, $61 million spread over about 13 million subscribers for a year amounts to around 39 cents per month each. I'm pretty sure Dish could absorb that without anyone going without lunch money.

Yea but Charlie Ergen is a penny pincher. He ain’t eating this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)