Dish charges shipping for broken receivers? And, other musings on my super-dead 722K.

A little odd to me was they use UPS (2 day) to get the receiver to you. Return shipping is via FEDEX Ground. Seems like they could leverage the whole shipping account...
They don't want to put all of their eggs in one basket ;) Eventually, they may swap things around and FedEx will bring the replacements and returns will go back via UPS.

I do recall a time when UPS handled both though.

I understand how the EHD works - but it's not the same as a backup. With Dish's system, it's either on the DVR or on the EHD, not both. If it were a true backup, I'd always be doing it, but as it is now it's only one one HD or another, and in either case it's a single-point failure away from being lost.

Welcome to the insane world of DRM. Anyway, I get around this by recording movies to the receivers hard drive then transfering them to my EHD. I then disconnect the EHD which allows me to record the movie once again to the receivers hard drive. Even if you reconnect the EHD, it doesn't check for multiple versions of a particular recording. I have a number of EHD's that mostly remain disconnected until i want to record or watch something on the drive.

The op wasn't complaining about losing recordings, but about the shipping charges. Why pay to get a new receiver when the receiver is owned by Dish? Like I said, if the provider wants to be a jerk about this, then switch. It's really easy to do since it seems providers would rather spend a lot of money getting new customers than spending a little to retain customers. If my family wasn't so resistant to it, I would be playing this game, getting new deals every two years. I use a couple of dvd recorders with hdd's instead of an ehd now anyway. So it doesn't matter what provider I have.

I couldn't agree more. I will not pay for a protection plan to protect equipment that I do not own. If it breaks, they can replace it at their cost. If they don't want to pay the cost , well, the competition will gladly accept a new excellent paying account.
I recently upgraded to a hopper/joey and received my return boxes for the 722/211, as Mochuf stated, they want to charge my account $17 per box, I immediately called dish and told them if they charge my account, they have lost a customer. They agreed to remove said charges after I'm billed, I need to call.

Hmm. I upgraded to the Hopper last year and to the Hopper with Sling this year and never had to pay anything for shipping for the replaced equipment.

Reactions: ohioankev
The $15 return fee has been in place for years. I have no problem with that. I returned multiple 722's over the years. As far as the protection plan, I only activate it when I need a tech visit. I then cancel it after 6 months. Cheaper than the $95 for a visit. Only did that once when my lnb developed drift and had to be replaced.

I couldn't agree more. I will not pay for a protection plan to protect equipment that I do not own. If it breaks, they can replace it at their cost. If they don't want to pay the cost , well, the competition will gladly accept a new excellent paying account.
I recently upgraded to a hopper/joey and received my return boxes for the 722/211, as Mochuf stated, they want to charge my account $17 per box, I immediately called dish and told them if they charge my account, they have lost a customer. They agreed to remove said charges after I'm billed, I need to call.

Agreed... It's their equipment so why do we have to pay for it if it breaks? I still think charging 15 bucks for a tech visit is bogus. The money you pay toward that should be used for paying that tech visit fee and if you have a balance built up then it should be able to get used to cover the upgrade fees. They raised prices and I know a lot of my friends have ditched tv all together.

I replaced a leased 722 with a purchased Hopper. Dish is sending a box for retrieving the 722 but will bill me $17 if I use their shipping labels.

I just had a failed owned unit and had the same story. First there was going to be a courtesy one time no cahrge replacement and I would be charged $15 for shipping (a great deal). Then the bill came and it was outrageous. I was charged for the IRD and the shipping. The IRD fee was $75 and I could have bought a 612 for $69 and saved $6 and gotten a new remote AND batteries.

The CSR kept blabing that a "new" IRD was $more than $150 and I geve him the three authorized retailers sites where I could buy the 612s for under their $75 trade in price. They finally did give me the courtesy credit of $75 that was originally promised. I have been a customer for more that 12 years, never called for support or gotten any credits from Dish until this one, yet it was like pulling teeth.

Surprised no one mentioned to her that SHE COULD stop the rebooting and HAVE TV back ( No DVR) until her new box arrives by simply disconnecting the hard drive .

wow almost 5 years since i been back here , nice to be outta prison lol ( i did get to browse the forums once a month or so so it wasnt to bad on a celly )

Did I read that right? You were in prison for 5 years and browsed to Satelliteguys once/month on a cell phone? :eek:

i don't think E* has a solid policy on returned receivers.................i cancelled dish in Nov. and they sent the recovery boxes by UPS. i sent them back next day by UPS and they sent a e-mail when they received them. *NO CHARGE* to me.

If been with Dish about 10 years, I added internet and a DVR at a later date. I got roped into the protection plan by dish. I don't agree with having to pay to have the receiver replaced after 5-6 years of use. It seem i should under a lease be entitled to have a working receiver/dvr unit and have it replaced at some point since sooner or later its going to fail and yes ever at 95 dollars to replace it would be cheaper than paying 8 a month for the 5-6 years it laster. That said in the end what it seem to prove it is unwise to stick around longer than the 2 year contract period. Sooner or later the equipment will fail due to it aging and one can usually get a good price for the 2 years and after it it get raised significantly. So even thought i never wanted to play this changing every 2 years game it seems i am being forced into it.

You don't need the protection plan if you know what your doing in terms of tech troubleshooting and repair.

The shipping fee is only $15 without the protection plan.

Makes no sense to spend $8 per month to save $15 to avoid paying shipping on a receiver.

The show can only be on one HD at a time, so it doesn't matter if they both fail at the same time or not. If the wrong one fails, you've lost your stuff.
That is true, however, the internal hard drive is spinning and recording constantly whenever the receiver is on. The external hard drive spins down and goes into standby mode when you are not using it. The internal drive sees a lot more action than the external drive. Because of that, the external drive usually lasts a lot longer than the internal hard drive. I have been with Dish for over 18 years. In that time I have had the internal hard drive fail on 3 receivers, but I still have the original external hard drive that I bought many years ago.

If you have a recording that you want to save, I think you are better off storing it on the external drive. I still have recordings from the Voom channels that were on Dish many years ago. If I had left those recordings on the internal drive, they would be long gone by now!

Reactions: Tampa8
No question about it, the best chance of saving material long time is with an EHD.

If been with Dish about 10 years, I added internet and a DVR at a later date. I got roped into the protection plan by dish. I don't agree with having to pay to have the receiver replaced after 5-6 years of use. It seem i should under a lease be entitled to have a working receiver/dvr unit and have it replaced at some point since sooner or later its going to fail and yes ever at 95 dollars to replace it would be cheaper than paying 8 a month for the 5-6 years it laster. That said in the end what it seem to prove it is unwise to stick around longer than the 2 year contract period. Sooner or later the equipment will fail due to it aging and one can usually get a good price for the 2 years and after it it get raised significantly. So even thought i never wanted to play this changing every 2 years game it seems i am being forced into it.

You are posting to a dormant thread from over three 1/2 years ago. DISH does not require you to keep a protection plan, they don't even hide that fact. They have the rules that you can add the plan as needed, keep it for a few months and then drop it. If you kept it for your whole time with DISH that's on you. They do no more than what a new car salesman or an appliance salesman does, and offers the protection plan. It's up to you to decide if you want it or not and find out how it works.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Agreed... It's their equipment so why do we have to pay for it if it breaks? I still think charging 15 bucks for a tech visit is bogus. The money you pay toward that should be used for paying that tech visit fee and if you have a balance built up then it should be able to get used to cover the upgrade fees. They raised prices and I know a lot of my friends have ditched tv all together.

Like most other leases, maintenance is not included unless you pay extra for it. Lease a car sometime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)