Dish Chicago HD Aspect ratio only 4:3?

jimphares

Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
I just bought a 622 from the Dishstore last week and signed up for the Chicago Locals with HD. The 4 locals that Dish is uplinking in HD I ONLY get in 4:3 aspect on my HD set. The other HD programming that I get from Dish.. the old HD package and HBO which are broadcast in mpeg 2 all fill the screen and the people look normal size. It seems that the only channels I am having a problem with are the mpeg 4 channels. I was on the phone with the upper level Dish tech support and their only solution other than watching square HD pictures was to stretch the pictures when I go to local HD from Dish. When I watch the same channels OTA they come in fine and fill the entire screen with stretching using the 622.
Tech support said there was no way to see if the other mpeg 4 channels would also be 4:3 aspect only without losing my grandfathered HD mpeg 2 package. Is Dish only broadcasting the Chicago HD locals in 4:3 or is it a bad receiver?

The Dish Network HD Chicago locals are on channels in the 6500's I believe. SD locals are also in the lineup around the 8500's. Make sure you're tuning in on the right channels.

Nope, it's the same for me, it seems that only selected programs are available in widescreen, but most of the local broadcasts are 4:3.

CubsWin said:
...it seems that only selected programs are available in widescreen, but most of the local broadcasts are 4:3.

This is certainly true. Tune to networks during primetime...many of those are HD/Widescreen, especially on CBS.

Maybe it paid to talk to the tech support people for such a long time about the 4:3 aspect problem. Tonight the same programs that were 4:3 are now 16:9 (wide screen) and NOT stretched. Is it possible that they didn't have their setting right at dish or it my memory foggy. Letterman and Leno are both like they should be in HD.

The problem is most likely at the local station. During non-hd times, the stations will send a up-converted program in full or partial bandwidth (depending if they are using multi-channels or just one) and have to switch during network HD programming. If they did not switch (manual or via their automation), the programming would remain the same. Note that all prime time is NOT in HD. About the best bet is via CBS, as they have the most, including one daytime soap. ABC is the only one in the morning with Good Morning America, with CBS and NBC joining, this fall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts