DISH Comm Power-Line Link

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
Well, we might as well get started. Hopefully someone at Dish will read this and staple it to the "DISH Comm" Chief Engineers forehead.

My big concern is whether this will interfere with all the other power line comm stuff out there such as X-10 and certain phone jack repeaters, along with some security systems, etc., etc. There's already too much competition for power-line bandwidth, and interference on the lines.

Given Dish's history, even if they allow it to be disabled, the option probably wouldn't work. Therefore, some kind of filter will be needed to prevent the new "feature" from interfering with the homeowner's other devices.

Of course, it's entirely possible (but far from certain), that RFI filters in a typical surge protector or UPS will stop this "feature" from working anyway. This will give Dish the opportunity to tell you to NOT use power-line protection, and then charge you for replacement when your box blows up from a surge - ad even if you have a warranty, they'll say it's not covered because you didn't use a surge protector. Catch-22!

Hopefully, they will use the PowerLink (sp?) standard for Ethernet over powerlines. That would at least imply some LAN connectivity, and maybe folks with cable/DSL ISPs could use that method for Dish receivers validating a location. But, now that I think about it, that wouldn't guarantee that all the receivers were at a given address.

Yeah - regarding use of CallerID to validate a location - it's far from foolproof.

Now that phone number portability is in effect (let alone the fact that cellphone CallerIDs can be easily hacked) and things like the CellSocket exist, it's almost trivial to put a receiver anywhere - even an RV - and have the phone-home be whatever you want, whenever you want.

Can I dream and let them add a slot for wireless internet since they're finally using the USB ports? maybe external USB wireless connection?

SimpleSimon said:
Yeah - regarding use of CallerID to validate a location - it's far from foolproof.

Now that phone number portability is in effect (let alone the fact that cellphone CallerIDs can be easily hacked) and things like the CellSocket exist, it's almost trivial to put a receiver anywhere - even an RV - and have the phone-home be whatever you want, whenever you want.

Except that CallerID is not used to validate location, ANI is. LNP doesn't really effect the situation, as the original phone numbers are still used in call routing by the SS7 network.

I was looking at the VOOM DVR thread and this caught my attention...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya
I mean that DVR doesn't seem to be connected to anything but the power outlet. Did they have another one there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Mota
Not that I am aware of. When the guy tried to move it, so that I can take the picture, they were very adamant about not disconnecting the DVR. When I took the pictures, I could not see with my eyes the connection. I took the pictures by just pointing the camera without looking. Now that I see it I also wonder how it was connected. Personally I do not think this one was connected. I think they had a model behind the scenes (or behind the wall). I don't recall seeing the model blink... Maybe when Bob goes on Sunday he can look at this more closely.

From this it seems possible that Motorola got a head start on this power-line networking technology.

MikeD-C05 said:
ANI - translation Please. I have no idea what that one is can you explain?
ANI=Automatic Number Identification. I think "Automatic" is right, but the concept is.

Anyway, I guess this old dog just learned a new trick - I didn't know that the 800-number call data would do that. Not sure if I like it - unless the actual callback (CallerID) number is also there.

MikeD-C05 said:
ANI - translation Please. I have no idea what that one is can you explain?

Automatic number identification
Automatic number identification is a feature of Inward WATS Service (Wide Area Telephone Service) which permits subscribers to display or capture the telephone numbers of calling parties. Inward WATS Service is purchased by businesses so that prospective customers (for example) can call the business toll free. The business is issued a distinctive telephone number beginning with a special area code such as "800" or "888".
A related piece of information conveyed to the "800" service subscriber is the DNIS or Dialed Number Information Service. This is the number that the caller dialed when accessing the "800" service. With the information, the service provider can have several "800" numbers directed to the same call center and provide unique service based on the number dialed.

Privacy note
It is very important to realize that, when calling an "800" or other toll-free number, your telephone number and telephone line type can always be captured by ANI equipment at the "800" number site -- whether or not you would otherwise be able to "block" transmission of your telephone number via Caller ID. ANI overrides Caller ID blocking.

Bill collectors and private investigators have often conducted skip tracing of missing people by sending them postcards, enticing them to call their "800" numbers. The "skip" reveals his or her whereabouts by dialing the number.

Thanks for the information. I guess Dish will be using this new link with all their newer receivers which will keep people from stacking their accounts in the future. This is what we have been speculating on in the past about the phone line connection. Now Dish will be doing this to eliminate the multiple phone line problems. OF course this will only work if you have one of the receivers hooked up to the phone line.

Dish Comm uses Intellon's HomePlug 1.0 technology. It's the same chips that are in the HomePlug powerline to Ethernet bridges that are out on the market from Netgear, etc.

I have heard reports that the homeplug technology has been causing GFCI breakers (not receptacles) to trip unnecessarily. I can't see why unless your receiver itself is grounding out for some reason and leaking voltage.

No it will not interfere with the X10.

Actually I was told at CES that the DishCOMM stuff has been put on hold for awhile as there are not enough receivers out there at the moment to really use the technology.

I would not be surprised if it is never used, in speaking with some of the Dish guys at CES, it seems as though the next generation of receivers will have WIFI built into them, so if you look at it that way who needs DishCOMM.

Scott Greczkowski said:
... in speaking with some of the Dish guys at CES, it seems as though the next generation of receivers will have WIFI built into them, so if you look at it that way who needs DishCOMM.
Ummmm, WiFi. :hungry: Move receivers around, no more wires. ATT buys Echostar, provides content via DSL/fiber. No more dish. :)

man, wifi might be interesting in an apt/mdu setup, everyone's receiver seeing each other in a mesh topology.

mdonnelly said:
Ummmm, WiFi. :hungry: Move receivers around, no more wires. ATT buys Echostar, provides content via DSL/fiber. No more dish. :)
att was bought out by comcrst in my area, seems like a conflict of interests
i had att phone and internet now i have comcast

Scott Greczkowski said:
No it will not interfere with the X10.
Actually I was told at CES that the DishCOMM stuff has been put on hold for awhile as there are not enough receivers out there at the moment to really use the technology.
I would not be surprised if it is never used, in speaking with some of the Dish guys at CES, it seems as though the next generation of receivers will have WIFI built into them, so if you look at it that way who needs DishCOMM.
They are now building and shipping receivers with DishCOMM in volume (250k/month), so I doubt they are going to can the technology.

They do not feel there are enough units in the feild nor do they feel the technology is where it should be yet. At the moment they are not working on DishCOMM software.

They will work on it again when a larger number of homes have DishCOMM equipment in place.

Scott Greczkowski said:
They do not feel there are enough units in the feild nor do they feel the technology is where it should be yet. At the moment they are not working on DishCOMM software.
They will work on it again when a larger number of homes have DishCOMM equipment in place.
Right, but your earlier post indicated that it would probably never be used. I don't think they would be spending as much money as they are on the hardware just to never use it. He's another take from someone at CES: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/01/07/dish_network_dual-signal_hd_receiver/

I have seen the DishCOMM technology demoed for almost 3 years now. The neatest use for it was sending audio to anywhere in your house. I actually wish they would release this feature. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)