Dish Completes EchoStar DBS Asset Transfer

So the new owners of Dish will only have a 10% stake in SlingTV. Hmm, this leaves Charles large and in charge of SlingTV on the Echostar side. I suppose at some point the new owners can buy a controlling stake in SlingTV when it gets bigger and becomes more important than Dish is today. Of course, the term "new owners" is merely my IMHO.

Dish is dead, sling is the way of the future.

Once everyone can get a super fast internet connection, where data usage is no longer an issue everything will be over the internet.

The writing is on the wall for Dish, as it has been for the past 7 years.

Dish would have been in a much much better position today if they developed their LTE assets and used all the spectrum they are sitting on.

People no longer want Tv, they want internet.

You can't even force people to take a home phone these days. It's becoming the same way when it comes to Tv.

Claude, I still want my OTA TV signals and Dish. That's where many of the good shows are.

Larry

Yea you might.

I sell this stuff for a living. I sold 48 Comcast sales today. Only 12 of them had a decent television package that included basic channels like discovery, espn or CNN.

The rest was internet only packages or internet with limited basic which was local channels and HBO.

The only reason why we sold limited basic at all was because it's being forced upon customers because they price the internet with limited basic cheaper than getting just internet.

Video is just as hard to sell as home phone these days.

Oh yea, 2 of the 12 sales included home phones.

All I really want is something like SlingTV with locals and cloud DVR (I know, it is coming soon). PS Vue has the locals and DVR, but not in my market yet.

So the new owners of Dish will only have a 10% stake in SlingTV. Hmm, this leaves Charles large and in charge of SlingTV on the Echostar side. I suppose at some point the new owners can buy a controlling stake in SlingTV when it gets bigger and becomes more important than Dish is today. Of course, the term "new owners" is merely my IMHO.

No, this is not correct.

Dish already owned 90% of Sling TV. Echostar owned the other 10%. This transaction means Dish owns 100% of Sling. That's what "fully consolidated" in the linked article means.

100% of the "old" Sling (meaning Slingboxes) is now within Dish, whereas before it was within Echostar.

Echostar now only owns satellites and the internet services. It doesn't own any TV related stuff at this point

Yea you might.

I sell this stuff for a living. I sold 48 Comcast sales today. Only 12 of them had a decent television package that included basic channels like discovery, espn or CNN.

The rest was internet only packages or internet with limited basic which was local channels and HBO.

The only reason why we sold limited basic at all was because it's being forced upon customers because they price the internet with limited basic cheaper than getting just internet.

Video is just as hard to sell as home phone these days.

Oh yea, 2 of the 12 sales included home phones.

What are the demographics of the area you are selling to, age, income, ethnicity, education, etc...?

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Dish is dead, sling is the way of the future.

Once everyone can get a super fast internet connection, where data usage is no longer an issue everything will be over the internet.

The writing is on the wall for Dish, as it has been for the past 7 years.

Dish would have been in a much much better position today if they developed their LTE assets and used all the spectrum they are sitting on.

People no longer want Tv, they want internet.

You can't even force people to take a home phone these days. It's becoming the same way when it comes to Tv.
Actually, they don't want internet; they want TV/Movie content, but they don't care how it is delivered so long as it is a reliable and high picture quality experience. How it gets to them be it CATV, MSO, satellite, internet, wireless, WiMax, 5G, OTA antenna--nobody really cares as long as it can bring them the channels they want and the content they want in high quality people will glady allow refelctors, yagi's, neon signs, tin hats, giant donuts, wires, or a scarecrow on the roof or patio, just as long as they have access to the magic and entertainment and sport they love to watch and whichever of those methods is the right price. Remember: "Content is King," not the method of delivery.

And BTW, I presume you also mean DirecTV is dead, as well as the cable company's TV offerings as Netflix, Amazon, SlingTV, DirecTV NOW, Sony VUE, and now YouTube's not so easy for the masses to watch on the BIG TV service are killing the cable Cos. TV service, as well. Of course, the bad news for you is Dish re-invented itself as SlingTV, so they won't really die after all (and neither will DirecTV). They are the same companies, but with a different BRAND, just like even the big wireless carriers also own and operate thier own MVNO's because they don't want to miss out on that market (people not stupid enough to pay the higher bills for the same service), and if consumers start leaving big carriers for the MVNO's, the big carriers own and operate those today, as well. So, Verizon, et al. aint going anywhere anytime soon so long as they, like DISH, are working both sides of the street. Sorry, Dish will just change its clothes, but the same person--Charlie--underneath them. Of course, the point you're making about Dish nearing the end is why Charlie is--IMHO--selling Dish to--IMHO Verizon--almost any day now, and Charlie keeping 90% interest in SlingTV.

AFWIW, Ergen was smart to wait as long as possible because it was not clear what or how 5G was really going to be used becasue we do KNOW it was never going to be JUST for wireless carriers like Verizon for mobile phone, but for many other uses, and only the last several months has it become more clear as to how that future looks and how best make more money with it. In such situations, it is always best to wait as long as possible. It seems from his comments that he has a clear vision of what they are going to do with the spectrum, and, finally spending the money and building it out. We shall have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)