Dish Content and 61.5??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mark_AR

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
North Arkansas
Is it worth a second Dish to pull the 61.5' satellite?

I looked at: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishlist.htm

I have Almost Everything Package and HD.

61.5 would give me access to the following additional channels:

General Interest:
Health TV
Classic Arts Showcase
Educating Everyone
Familynet
Good Samaritan Network
Panhandle Area Ed. Consortium

HD:
Dish HDTV Demo Channel
WCBS-DT 56 (CBS - New York)

Business:
Business TV
BTV/Educational Channel

SkyAngel:$11.99mo/119.90yr
20 SkyAngel Video Channels
16 Skyangel Radio Channels

If you don't get CBS-HD OTA, you might want it for that.

Otherwise, I wouldn't watch any of those channels even if they were on 110/119, were free, were the only available channels, I was tied to the couch, and had my eyelids pried open.

I love the "Alost Everything Package" ref - priceless.

It's been said by many people here that having a 61.5 "future-proofs" you, especially if E* and V* do any shared programming / mergers.

No extra locals? I *could* get 61.5 for free because of this, but I have line of sight issues to the south.

I just added a 61.5 dish (my 5th) to get one local channel
KAWE (PBS).....hey, they show the same PBS programming as one of the other 2 PBS stations in the market, but KAWE shows different episodes of "The Red green Show" than KTCA

That right there is why I put it up (and to make the head of our HOA shake his head)

GaryPen said:
If you don't get CBS-HD OTA, you might want it for that.

Otherwise, I wouldn't watch any of those channels even if they were on 110/119, were free, were the only available channels, I was tied to the couch, and had my eyelids pried open.

LOL, that was about the only reason I would do it was for CBS-HD. My local CBS isn't HD and is 75 miles away and I should qualify for it.

Iceberg said:
I just added a 61.5 dish (my 5th) to get one local channel
KAWE (PBS).....hey, they show the same PBS programming as one of the other 2 PBS stations in the market, but KAWE shows different episodes of "The Red green Show" than KTCA

That right there is why I put it up (and to make the head of our HOA shake his head)

Too bad that show doesn't get aired out here on the left coast. It looks like a real hoot! None of our four PBS stations air it. :(

hancox said:
I love the "Alost Everything Package" ref - priceless.

It's been said by many people here that having a 61.5 "future-proofs" you, especially if E* and V* do any shared programming / mergers.

No extra locals? I *could* get 61.5 for free because of this, but I have line of sight issues to the south.

Just got off the phone with Dish.

They are going to charge me $324.00 to add the 61.5' pointing dish.

$99 for the dish
$99 for install
$126 for the DP-34

I was told by my local retailer that I could get it for free cuz of CBS-HD. The CSR basically called the retailer a LIAR.

*sigh*

I'm not shelling out any more money. They are nuts!

I would just do it yourself if you can. There are plenty of places to get that equipment much cheaper (if you don't mind used equipment). There's tons of info here and how do install it. It would probably cost you less than half the amount DISH would do it for.

Yes ebay is a great place to buy used equipment...And it's not really hard to install this stuff yourself..There is alot of good info here and on the net

dfergie said:
If you had legecy equipment a D* dish and lnb would even work.

I'm cornfused... or the drugs are working.... Whats the difference between DP Quad and Legacy? I can't get up on the roof to check. I know its a quad 'something' though and it ins't 90 days old yet.

All 4 outputs are being used. 2-522 and 2-921.
I would have 5 cables to run to the input, but only 3 connections on the DP-34.

I've got D* and another E* Dish500 quad in the shed for parts. Its at least a few years old though.

Anywho.... The point is that I was told it would be a 'freebie' install and NOT 300+ bux.

I'll start looking on ebay for dp-34's. There are a bunch of em...

dfergie said:
If you had legecy equipment a D* dish and lnb would even work.

You don't have legecy equipment so you can't use that, but since you have a dish, all you need is the DP34 switch and a single DP LNB. Two of ouputs (one from each side) from your DP Quad LNB would go into the INPUT of the DP-34 switch. Your second 61.5 DISH would go into the third INPUT of the switch.

Mark
Do you have locals through Dish?
If so, are there any channels on the side satellite? If there is, then Dish has to give you the equipment for free.

I don't think CBS-HD qualifies for the free install

GaryPen said:
It's very funny. (especially for PBS.)

Some of the stuff he thinks up has me damn near on the floor laughing.

Its nice between the 2 systems being able to see it almost everyday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)