Dish copy protection

I have not (as of last week) had any problems transferring from my 622 to my DVD recorder.

Maybe it is my recorder then, in bed with the copy protection. What brand is yours? Mine is a Philips that I have had for about a year since my old Panasonic unit (which was great) broke down.

I just think no matter how well they 'protect' the drive that someone is going to hook it up to their XP machine, write a few lines of C++ and voila, the "Dish to PC" utility appears that allows you to copy mpg4 vids to your PC for back-up.

I'm sure they have taken measures to dissuade this capability..but there are too many DISH geeks out there with nothing but time on their hands...

I've had a PocketDish for over a year and haven't seen one program that does this yet. Not that it isn't possible, I just haven't seen anything like it or even talked about being available down in the fog of the internet.
I can copy the show files over no problem - playing them on the pc is a different matter.

All in time, my friend. As TiVO and Replay go away and the momentum behind DISH's "external HD" option gains strength, I think you'll start to see stuff appear. ;)

I've had a PocketDish for over a year and haven't seen one program that does this yet. Not that it isn't possible, I just haven't seen anything like it or even talked about being available down in the fog of the internet.
I can copy the show files over no problem - playing them on the pc is a different matter.

Do you have to pay additional fees monthly for the PocketDish or do you buy it outright and that is it? I can't find anything on the website about a monthly fee but seems like I have seen one on there before. The AV700E device has been "Sold Out" on the pocketdish.com website for the last six months.

I have a Samsung DVD Recorder. I have burned from HBO, SHO and Monsters among others without any issues.
Maybe it is my recorder then, in bed with the copy protection. What brand is yours? Mine is a Philips that I have had for about a year since my old Panasonic unit (which was great) broke down.

No actually most people who post here arent full of it as far as Im concerned but looking more at what your saying you do come across that way. You state that you read our forums so if you really do read it more than say once every couple of months then you would know that what your experiencing hasnt come up with anyone else here. You also say you dont have the time to watch movies but you do have the time to post the thread and return to it to reply to it. Did you bother to look through the threads to see if anyone else was experiencing this problem or did you just imediately asume that it was something that the provider was doing to you just as so many other people do when something happens that they cant readily explain within 15 seconds?

The Phillips recorders are known for being sensitive to the copy protection flags. I use some older Lite-on recorders that if you know where to look can be made region and macrovision free with some remote control keystrokes. These were also sensitive when I first got them, so much so that they blocked my camcorder when trying to copy home videos to dvd, which was the only reason I got them in the first place. They are going the way of the vcr now with the advent of Blueray and HD-DVD.

Are you for real? Unbelievable.

No actually most people who post here arent full of it as far as Im concerned but looking more at what your saying you do come across that way. You state that you read our forums so if you really do read it more than say once every couple of months then you would know that what your experiencing hasnt come up with anyone else here. You also say you dont have the time to watch movies but you do have the time to post the thread and return to it to reply to it. Did you bother to look through the threads to see if anyone else was experiencing this problem or did you just imediately asume that it was something that the provider was doing to you just as so many other people do when something happens that they cant readily explain within 15 seconds?

The Phillips recorders are known for being sensitive to the copy protection flags. I use some older Lite-on recorders that if you know where to look can be made region and macrovision free with some remote control keystrokes. These were also sensitive when I first got them, so much so that they blocked my camcorder when trying to copy home videos to dvd, which was the only reason I got them in the first place. They are going the way of the vcr now with the advent of Blueray and HD-DVD.

No such luck turning off the Macrovision or region with my Philips. At least not that I have found yet online. That was the first thing I looked for before starting this thread.

My Philips works great for recording home videos to DVD. As a side business to my computer business I offer VHS-C, 8mm tape, VHS, etc transfer to DVD-R for my customers. I have never had a problem with the Philips on any of these transfers, thankfully. Now that the set top DVD burners are so cheap, I don't do too many anymore. My customers could just transfer their own tapes in most cases.

I record everything off of the DVR, not live. Maybe I have just had good luck :) When I try to copy DVDs or VHS tapes, I get the copy protection error and cannot copy them to DVD.

Just curious, do you record live off Monsters or DVR it first? I have not tried live, as the movies I had problems with were DVR recordings.

Do you have to pay additional fees monthly for the PocketDish or do you buy it outright and that is it? I can't find anything on the website about a monthly fee but seems like I have seen one on there before. The AV700E device has been "Sold Out" on the pocketdish.com website for the last six months.
It was an outright purchase. I got it when they had the rebate going. It has been very useful for SD programming and all the shows play back directly to a tv from the PocketDish. I have the 700E.

Dish lost a lot of revenue when allowed to connect PD to DVRs for free.

Not hardly, those PDs cost 4 times what they should have.

Your sarcasm is slipping... Get on one side of the fence or the other and then contribute to the conversation.

I record everything off of the DVR, not live. Maybe I have just had good luck :) When I try to copy DVDs or VHS tapes, I get the copy protection error and cannot copy them to DVD.

I also have a Samsung recorder DVD-R157. No problems yet recording off DVR or live using S-Video input.

NightRyder

I had the same problem with my Philips. Fortunately, I have an older Magnavox (DVD+R that's incompatible with nearly every standalone player out there) which likely won't care. I have some SD PPV that I want to dump onto DVD, so the Magnavox will be the carrier.

What's a nightmare is getting the HD PPV onto a computer or DVD (yes, DVD5/9 can hold HD content just not as much as HD-DVD/Blu-ray). I'll save that for another thread.

At this point I am only pretty much buying new movies as they come out. Obviously, if I see an older movie on HBO that I didn't know about and enjoyed, I would then buy it on DVD.

Buy used! Stop throwing away your money. The movie you drop $15 for on release day can be had second hand in about 30 days for ~$8.

Buy used! Stop throwing away your money. The movie you drop $15 for on release day can be had second hand in about 30 days for ~$8.

I've been known to partake in the Blockbuster sidewalk sales (4/$20), buying used. Eventually even most new movies fall to $6.99-$9.99 so I have bought some that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)