Dish Could Lose 12 Network Affiliates Tonight

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Washington, D.C. (January 16, 2017) - Dish tonight could lose 12 network affiliates in eight markets due to a fee fight with their owner, Bonten Media.

The stations have posted a notice at their web sites that the signals could be removed this evening if the two companies do not reach a new carriage pact.

"While both Dish and our stations are working earnestly to resolve this matter, there is the potential this could be a long interruption of service," the notice states.

The disagreement is over how much Dish should pay to carry the 12 local channels.

http://tvpredictions.com/dish011617.htm

Washington, D.C. (January 16, 2017) - Dish tonight could lose 12 network affiliates in eight markets due to a fee fight with their owner, Bonten Media.

The stations have posted a notice at their web sites that the signals could be removed this evening if the two companies do not reach a new carriage pact.

"While both Dish and our stations are working earnestly to resolve this matter, there is the potential this could be a long interruption of service," the notice states.

The disagreement is over how much Dish should pay to carry the 12 local channels.

http://tvpredictions.com/dish011617.htm
Isn't that what it is about most of the time?

Dish gets a 24-hour reprieve in Bonten fee fight. So 112 stations could be removed tomorrow by Bonten and Gray sounds like a "lawfirm"
Update: The deadline for the Bonten stations has been moved to Tuesday, the company has announced.

In related news, two Oklahoma CBS affiliates, KOTV in Tulsa and KWTV in Oklahoma City, have been returned temporarily to Dish's lineup. The two companies have been engaged in a fee fight since January 1, leaving the network affiliates off Dish until over the weekend. But their owner, Griffin Communications, asked Dish to restore them temporarily because the state experienced a severe storm and it wanted Dish's viewers to see their local weather coverage. Dish agreed to the offer

It's unclear when the temporary agreement will end.
http://tvpredictions.com/dishone011617.htm

My local CBS is effected - I hope they get dropped long enough for me to raise hell and get some kinda discount for a while.
The list is rather wrong though - mine isn't on the list which happens to be Roanoke VA WDBJ7

Reactions: trojan67
All my locals are affected by this as well, Harrisonburg, VA and Charlottesville, VA. Unfortunately due to topography I live in a dead zone to get OTA. It seems like almost every January there is some kind of local channel issue and it started in 1996 when I lost my national feeds. Does it really matter where we get the channels from if we consent to pay for them? I don't care if I get the national network feeds from any of the major cities as long as I get the channels.

All my locals are affected by this as well, Harrisonburg, VA and Charlottesville, VA. Unfortunately due to topography I live in a dead zone to get OTA. It seems like almost every January there is some kind of local channel issue and it started in 1996 when I lost my national feeds. Does it really matter where we get the channels from if we consent to pay for them? I don't care if I get the national network feeds from any of the major cities as long as I get the channels.
I have wanted this for a long time. Local tv is no longer local. Time to kill the protections it gets.

Does it really matter where we get the channels from if we consent to pay for them? .

YES, I goes by DMA. A media market, broadcast market, media region, designated market area (DMA), television market area, or simply market is a region where the population can receive the same (or similar) television. I think it goes back to advertising money and where you would likely shop.

In the old days if you had a RV you could get distant locals.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
We've continuously been with Dish since 1998 and had the distant channels until 1996. Unfortunately it's hard to get the network programming unless you either OTA or pay for programming with everything I've researched. We also only have one option for DSL and the max is 6 Mbps, streaming is difficult with all our tech items pulling on the wifi (2 teenage boys). I love where I live, but there are sacrifices we make for it as well.

Umm, Dish is raising my bill $5 due to locals increasing costs, yet wants to drop one of my local channels? You raised my bill so what the heck? What's the $5 for if your dropping the channels anyways? I want my $5 back and then some.

No. Your bill is increasing because many channels (not just locals) are having. Price increases (such as ESPN, CNN, FOX News, etc.)

This year DISH decided to break out the costs for locals so you can see what you are paying for them, with the eventual hope that in the future that if you don't want locals you can remove them and save $10 a month.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay and Bruno
Umm, Dish is raising my bill $5 due to locals increasing costs, yet wants to drop one of my local channels? You raised my bill so what the heck? What's the $5 for if your dropping the channels anyways? I want my $5 back and then some.
Don't worry you'll get a free antenna.

Dish is installing free antenna to those affected?
You get one of these,
1484670229855.jpeg

That's laughable I doubt that will bring it in here. I've seen some people have luck with them though. Location location location. I believe Dish installed free antennas in the past when locals blacked out but I think that's been a while.

No. Your bill is increasing because many channels (not just locals) are having. Price increases (such as ESPN, CNN, FOX News, etc.)
Agreed.

This year DISH decided to break out the costs for locals so you can see what you are paying for them, with the eventual hope that in the future that if you don't want locals you can remove them and save $10 a month.
I hope no one believes the locals are a combined $10/month. I'm guessing the true cost is $4-5 for most markets.

Reactions: Troch77

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts