Dish customers with DSL

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It also means the DSL signal isn't going through your entire house which can also decrease total attenuation in both directions. The DSL signal is pretty fragile.

I have one of these -
DSL POTS Filter/splitter Indoor/Outdoor Whole House - eBay (item 350040113181 end time Mar-30-08 11:50:09 PDT)

EDIT: The problem is that most Telcos won't install these unless you make a really big scene. I installed my own. But it does require you to run your lines into the DSL box (either using taps or putting the filter closer to the wiring entrance) and it requires you to install a jumper from the NID into the filter. It's pretty trivial, and it's only 50V, so it won't really zap or harm you, but it does require some time and effort, especially running the new line into the house for your DSL feed. You can put the DSL signal on the outside (yellow/black) pair, but you don't REALLY want to do that.. :)

In the early days of DSL.... The phone company would install THE filter in the junction box and run a separate wire to the DSL modem (unfiltered). This is much better for several reasons.

* one filter for all phone outlets means fewer dangley bits to get unplugged
* a new continuous phone line for the DSL modem
* one place to trouble shoot for filter issues

Talon Dancer

Ameritech didn't work that way, always just sent a bunch of filters. The exception was if you said you had a security system on the line or if you had a static IP service, then they sent out a tech for a few hundred dollars and did the filter in the NID.

TalonDancer said:
...The phone company would install THE filter in the junction box and run a separate wire to the DSL modem (unfiltered). This is much better for several reasons...
Not to mention that they're probably using a better "telco" grade component as well...

I have DSL, and I installed a whole-house filter. This of course didn't come with the package, I had to buy it myself. Our DSL is advertised as "up to 6 Mbs". With individual filters, my measured speed was about 4.8 Mbs. After buying and installing the whole-house filter and removing the cheap individual filters, my measured speed jumped up to 5.9 Mbs, just about as good as you can get.

I'm at 15000 feet.. My 'max speed' before was 2.5 mbit actual, 3.2 mbit potential. After whole house filter I have 3.58mbit actual 5.2mbit potential.

Needless to say it helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts