Moving

thesmith7

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Is it possible to 'move' to an area not covered by locals and then get the east, west feeds of the major networks?

It's better to 'move' to a specific urban area that has HD locals conus from the satellite.

SD locals are nearly if not all on spot beams, meaning that you must fall within that oval covered by the spotbeam or you get no signal at all.

Right now I get the Scranton/Wilkes Barre locals though I'm in Central Pa and are compltely useless to me. No HD locals of course, and probably many moons away from getting them. If I moved to my friends "upstairs apartment" would I be able to get the NY HD locals they get? Thanks.

Hello,

I live in Norfolk and want to "Move". If I move to Atlanta, can I get their locals in both SD and HD" (one of my receivers is SD, and one is HD).

If Atlanta is not doable....where would i need to go to pick up both SD and HD? I did check TP15 on 119 and the signal is OK.

Thanks in advance.

Conus HD locals:
New York City - 61.5
Boston - 61.5
Philadelphia - 61.5
Wash. D.C. - 61.5
Los Angeles - 129
Chicago - 129
Albuquerque - 129
Denver - 129
Nashville - 129
Minneapolis - 129
Salt LAke City - 129
Atlanta - 129
Fairbanks AK - 148

Conus SD locals:
Denver - 110 (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC only)
Chicago - 110 (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC only)
Los Angeles - 119 (KTLA only)
New york City - 119 (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, MY, CW))
All SD locals on 129 are conus
All SD locals on 148 are conus

Source: EKB.DBSTAlk.com.

Last edited:
Hmmm....thanks.

so it looks like I am out of luck to get both HD and SD locals unless I "move" to Chicago.

Guess I read the Atlanta chart wrong.

Atlanta HD locals are on 129 - I missed that one (corrected).

Atlanta SD locals are on spotbeam on 110.

I would not bet on locals remaining CONUS long term, especially on the east coast. It is better to find a large city where you are in the footprint of the spotbeam.

General procedure:

Go to The Echostar Knowledge Base on DBSTalk

Click on Programming/locals page (SD)/detailed info and look for a local city near you.

go back to programming page and look for Dish Channel Chart at the top of the programming section. Select the sat that has the locals for each SD and HD. These are often on different satellites.

Search the satellite list for the cities you are interested in. When you find them, look at the transponder number(s). If it is something like 12s5, this means it is on a spotbeam. The first number is the transponder, the second is the spotbeam. Note spotbeams are currently only on 110 and 119, but are starting to happen on 61.5 as well. We expect them to be happening late this year on 129.

Finally, go to the technical section and click on Individual Maps of 110 and 119 spotbeams. This will take you to JL's pages where you can click on an individual spotbeam for a map of its coverage. (You must link to JL's pages from EKB, as he has locked out direct links from Satelliteguys.)

Look and see if you are in the coverage footprint.

If you can find a spotbeam that has locals you like, you will be fairly future-proof.

Looks like I'm out of luck, since my dish covers 110, 119, and 129. Raleigh looked good for a second (SD spot overlapped with Norfolk), but the HD locals covering Raleigh are at 118.

Guess I'll wait (or upgrade 2nd TV to HD receiver).

Sure seems like a lot of trouble just to get HD locals from Dish! My OTA doesn't work good where I live because of multipath issues (I'm a mile from the TV towers)

Sure seems like a lot of trouble just to get HD locals from Dish! My OTA doesn't work good where I live because of multipath issues (I'm a mile from the TV towers)

I saw a guy who had severe multipath. He put a small uhf yagi inside a metal trash can and turned the opening toward the station he wanted, bingo no more multipath.

Thanks....perhaps I'll try that. (tried most everything else)

Also can't hurt to face toward the East and mumble a couple of chants as I hook it up. :D

ok I'm retarded am considering doing the moving thing and lost the last set of posts on the how to part. Am in CO but want the LA area can someone help???? Thanks in advance

Call Dish, tell them you want to change your service but not billing address.

If you receive the satellite that has the locals you're "moving" to get, you'll lose your current locals but be able to watch theirs, provided they're either conus or you're in their spotbeam.

Can anyone in the Cleveland area that subscribes to the multi sports pack tell me if they get the Penguins games. I'm going to move to Cleveland but I will wait to the end of hockey season if I need to.

I changed my plan today to save about 50 dollar and that my service address changed and asked about the locals for that area (Denver area) she told me to call the All American for the Atlanta or West coast feed. I don't think she understood about changing my service address, then again it was on the online chat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts