DISH, DirecTV to merge?

Is that a grandfathered plan or is it still available?
Both... The original Connected Car (Mobley) plan that I have is grandfathered, but there's a current version that's only available for specific vehicles with specific equipment. The plan I have is classed as a hotspot plan, and as long as I use the SIM in a hotspot, which one apparently doesn't matter. I have the original limited Mobley device as a backup, but I've been using the SIM in Netgear hotspots for the past two years with no problems.

My brother's roommate got one of those before they ended up going with the WISP, and it really slowed down once they hit 22GB.
That doesn't sound like the Connected Car plan I have. It is subject to management on heavily congested towers, but that's never been a problem. Even streaming hasn't been affected...

My DSL promotional pricing is expiring on October 16th. It's going to jump from $80.52 to $111.52 and they don't offer any existing customer promotions. I love the reliability and speed of the plan, but that pricing is a lot to bite off. I'd be willing to try almost anything else to help reduce the cost. I briefly tried the Verizon unlimited hotspot, but it is subject to 24/7 congestion throttle and never worked well.
I also have the discontinued Verizon prepaid unlimited hotspot plan, but like our AT&T hotspot, I've not seen any speed differences between so called "management" and the normal slow downs I've always seen on heavily used towers even with no management. As we move around in our RV, one or the other hotspot has always given us reliable streaming, and often both.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
The truth is Charlie/Dish is seeking to merge with Directv, buy simply converting all Directv's current and former customers to Dish.
With the exception of one certain Michigan dealer, whom Dish still owes a couple of million dollars too.

The truth is Charlie/Dish is seeking to merge with Directv, buy simply converting all Directv's current and former customers to Dish.
With the exception of one certain Michigan dealer, whom Dish still owes a couple of million dollars too.
If DISH owed me a couple of million I would find me an internet forum and lay down some serious hate.

I thought that I read a long time ago, that Dish and Directtv dishes and receivers are not compatible. To convert one or the other would cost a billion dollars, probably.
Dish could operate the DTV side as a sister division initially, only converting the DTV folks to the Dish side during normal upgrades or service calls. Once that process plus normal attrition lowered the DTV subscriber count to a workable number, then a complete transition could be done over time. The Sirius/XM merger comes to mind...

Wait a minute here. I think SiriusXM is still operating both Sirius tech and XM tech in parallel. So how would your argument for a complete transition apply?
I was thinking more of a parallel Siruis/XM style operation for some period, with a slow transition as circumstances allow later on. Depending on the economics, it might be feasible to maintain the two separate divisions for quite a long time.

Dish could operate the DTV side as a sister division initially, only converting the DTV folks to the Dish side during normal upgrades or service calls. Once that process plus normal attrition lowered the DTV subscriber count to a workable number, then a complete transition could be done over time. The Sirius/XM merger comes to mind...

First of all, a merger is not happening.

But if it did, then this would be the only logical step.

Also all new customers would get a Dish to pick up 99/101/103/110/119 which would essentially be a slimline dish with a modified LNB to get all transponders at 110/119.

I think the key would to phase out 128 since that slot is being leased.

Then the question is do they continue to use that nagravision garbage or Directv’s encryption system.

Since we've never heard Dish's side of the issue, it's difficult to say if the hate is appropriate or not. At this point, all we have is an ongoing "He said..." rant.

Dish has never given me a reason besides exercising their right to terminate their contract of adhesion.

But that’s what I guess you get when you become a slave to the company like I was

First of all, a merger is not happening.

But if it did, then this would be the only logical step.

Also all new customers would get a Dish to pick up 99/101/103/110/119 which would essentially be a slimline dish with a modified LNB to get all transponders at 110/119.

I think the key would to phase out 128 since that slot is being leased.

Then the question is do they continue to use that nagravision garbage or Directv’s encryption system.

What do you do then for the folks with locals on eastern arc?

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: DWS44
Sadly, due to numbers, Dish might move to the lesser DTV equipment.

But honestly, I’m not sure there’s enough lifespan left for ANY consolation.

I hope Dish is here for many decades. But LEOand MEO service may doom them. Hence, Charlie moving to 5G. If it doesn’t get listed as a hazard

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts