Dish dispute with Cox Media Group

Our local CBS is affected by this (the OP and myself are both in the Dayton market) and they are re-posting the same story on the Facebook page each day. The comments are pretty much split 50/50 - not what they expected, no doubt. They're telling people to call Dish to complain and once or twice, I've posted their phone # (their "breaking news" number actually) and told people to call the station and tell them not to be greedy. :p I'm surprised they haven't deleted my post(s).

Here's is what the local FOX affiliate is claiming. I think they might be blowing a bit of smoke. The national leader in sports gets less ratings than one of four local news teams? By the way, WCVB, Boston's local ABC affiliate, had the highest rated news in the area.

What does DISH pay for other channels?

Based on publicly available information, DISH pays over $6 per subscriber per month for ESPN. In other words, $6 from your monthly bill goes straight to ESPN. Our ratings are much higher than ESPN’s! Yet, we are asking for less than one-third of what DISH pays to ESPN. More importantly, ESPN has NO local programming, NO local employees, NO local investments, and a very small local audience – unlike FOX25.

Cox has owned it since October 2014.
The FOX agreement has no merit as the station is owned by Cox. Same for Memphis's FOX station

Thanks Ice. I wasn't sure, as it wasn't until recently that WFXT was redesigned to not be that of the other local FOX O&Os. However, hypothetically, if Cox bought the station just after the latest negotiation with the previous owner, I thought that the carriage agreement would still have to be honored.

Well they was not kidding about taking the stations away,i have lost 2 local stations as of 6:59 pm... Update...lost the stations for like 5 minutes and there back on.Dish was granted another extension.

WHIO-TV, DISH reach deal to avoid blackout

UPDATE @ 7:22 p.m.: WHIO-TV and DISH have reached a deal to avoid a blackout that threatened to drop WHIO for Dish subscribers.

The re-transmission deal means WHIO-TV, the No. 1 CBS affiliate in the country and the home of News Center 7, will continue to be carried on DISH (Channel 007).

Word of the deal with the pay TV provider came shortly before a Thursday night deadline for a carriage agreement.

“We’re very pleased that CMG [Cox Media Group] and DISH were able to reach this agreement without interruption to our viewers,” said Rob Rohr, WHIO-TV general manager.

“I’d like to thank those Channel 7 viewers who expressed their support for keeping WHIO available for DISH customers,” Rohr said.

Terms of the deal have not been announced.

http://www.whio.com/news/news/local...t/nqxBc/?ecmp=whiotv_social_facebook_2014_sfp

Here's is what the local FOX affiliate is claiming. I think they might be blowing a bit of smoke. The national leader in sports gets less ratings than one of four local news teams? By the way, WCVB, Boston's local ABC affiliate, had the highest rated news in the area.

What does DISH pay for other channels?

Based on publicly available information, DISH pays over $6 per subscriber per month for ESPN. In other words, $6 from your monthly bill goes straight to ESPN. Our ratings are much higher than ESPN’s! Yet, we are asking for less than one-third of what DISH pays to ESPN. More importantly, ESPN has NO local programming, NO local employees, NO local investments, and a very small local audience – unlike FOX25.
I think it would depend on how you look at the ratings... do you look show to show? I have no doubt a local newscast would blow out ESPN (except maybe the 11p). The average for the week? For a month? If ESPN has a marque event the ratings will be high, their viewership is slipping, hard. Just google ESPN and Ratings.

"You may not be able to watch KIRO 7 live because Dish is threatening to drop the station"
This is our CBS station!! Yikes! I'm about ready to move closer to Seattle so I can go back to an antenna!

KIRO has a sizeable translator network. I get the one in Burlington where I live. Good thing, seeing as that feeds my computer in a back room.

Moral: Before the next spat comes down, and you know sooner or later you will be affected by one, buy a suitable antenna and get it hooked up as your backup to dish (or DIRECTV or cable) for locals. Gets you those subchannels dish isn't obligated to carry, too.

BTW: Seattle has been through this stuff five times over the last six months. All four network affiliates (owned by Sinclair, Tribune, Tegna and now Cox) and a CW independent owned by CBS all whined for more money and wanted viewers like us to whine to dish about it, even though it's OUR money they wanted.

Reactions: xfoneguy
KIRO has a sizeable translator network. I get the one in Burlington where I live. Good thing, seeing as that feeds my computer in a back room.

Moral: Before the next spat comes down, and you know sooner or later you will be affected by one, buy a suitable antenna and get it hooked up as your backup to dish (or DIRECTV or cable) for locals. Gets you those subchannels dish isn't obligated to carry, too.

BTW: Seattle has been through this stuff five times over the last six months. All four network affiliates (owned by Sinclair, Tribune, Tegna and now Cox) and a CW independent owned by CBS all whined for more money and wanted viewers like us to whine to dish about it, even though it's OUR money they wanted.
Well, KIRO (CBS) is still up-and-running this morning (April 1) and there's no propaganda banner from them on the bottom of the screen so I'm guessing all is well - for now, anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts