Dish dispute with local TV

fatpug

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Here
50% of the local channels in Joplin MO/Pittsburg KS market may be lost if Dish is not able to work out an agreement with them. The following was posted on the local TV website:

Dear Viewer,

Thank you for your interest in our carriage on Dish and thank you for calling them. We've been told there have been many different comments from Dish. Many who have called twice, received completely different stories each time. I believe if this continues, Dish will get better at coming up with just one story, hopefully the truth.

Here's the truth. KOAM and KFJX are carried by every Cable Company and Satellite Company in our market. After many years of being carried by Dish, they have decided they cannot continue to carry us if we want the same relationship we have with every other provider. In fact we were told, as were some of you, that "our market is insignificant," "that our station is insignificant" and that "no one will even care when they stop carrying us." I hope you do not agree.

We are only seeking fair treatment from Dish, the same treatment we receive from every other provider, nothing more, nothing less. I feel it is a shame if Dish sees you, their customer, as insignificant as a resident of this market and if they feel KOAM is insignificant as well.

I am hopeful Dish will see fit to treat us as fairly as other providers and treat their paying customers with enough respect to provide you what you want. After 50 years of serving the Four States, to be removed from any provider is a slap in the face. Fortunately, only Dish has taken this position, but one is too many, especially when they are your provider.

We understand your frustration and hope that Dish changes their position soon. We're doing everything we can for that to happen.

Best regards,

Danny Thomas
President / General Manager
KOAM-TV

Darren Dishman
General Manager
FOX-14

As a new subscriber to Dish what are my cancellation options if they do not work this out? Is the early termination fee waived if Dish is not able to provide 1/2 of the local TV channels?

Thanks

50% of the local channels in Joplin MO/Pittsburg KS market may be lost if Dish is not able to work out an agreement with them. The following was posted on the local TV website:

Dear Viewer,

Thank you for your interest in our carriage on Dish and thank you for calling them. We've been told there have been many different comments from Dish. Many who have called twice, received completely different stories each time. I believe if this continues, Dish will get better at coming up with just one story, hopefully the truth.

Here's the truth. KOAM and KFJX are carried by every Cable Company and Satellite Company in our market. After many years of being carried by Dish, they have decided they cannot continue to carry us if we want the same relationship we have with every other provider. In fact we were told, as were some of you, that "our market is insignificant," "that our station is insignificant" and that "no one will even care when they stop carrying us." I hope you do not agree.

We are only seeking fair treatment from Dish, the same treatment we receive from every other provider, nothing more, nothing less. I feel it is a shame if Dish sees you, their customer, as insignificant as a resident of this market and if they feel KOAM is insignificant as well.

I am hopeful Dish will see fit to treat us as fairly as other providers and treat their paying customers with enough respect to provide you what you want. After 50 years of serving the Four States, to be removed from any provider is a slap in the face. Fortunately, only Dish has taken this position, but one is too many, especially when they are your provider.

We understand your frustration and hope that Dish changes their position soon. We're doing everything we can for that to happen.

Best regards,

Danny Thomas
President / General Manager
KOAM-TV

Darren Dishman
General Manager
FOX-14

As a new subscriber to Dish what are my cancellation options if they do not work this out? Is the early termination fee waived if Dish is not able to provide 1/2 of the local TV channels?

Thanks

Unfortunately, the contract you signed said programming is subject to change. You might get them to throw you a bone with some free programming or a couple bucks off, but don't count on it. Also this is boilerplate from the TV station management. We see it all the time. Chances are they are asking for a carriage fee increase from Dish and Dish has said no.

Whenever they (local stations, content providers, content distributors) put in "Here's the truth..." you can bet that it isn't the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth...It is their version of what they think the truth is supposed to be in their eyes.
Oh yeah, and no you won't get out of your contract.

Surprise these same two stations were battling with Directv last year. Being CBS and Fox affiliates that are wanting to jack the rates so they can pay the higher affiliation fees that CBS and Fox are asking from the affiliates.

Listening to both sides of a story is the surest way of learning there is more to a story - than both sides.

Bottom line, this happens all the time, in virtually every case if the channels are taken away by the station (and it never is taken away by Dish) then they will be back. And, as the others said, can't end the contract over that. Can you get those channels with an antenna?

Thank you for all of the information. I will wait and see what happens now. Hopefully they will work out a deal.

I Hope so fatpug because i do not want to put up an antenna or switch over to directv that is now carrying the FOX & CBS stations now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts