Dish Distress

I actually got more help here than at Dish! So I appreciate all who answered. At least I know which direction to go now. (Looks like it might be east!)
The free Signal Finder app from Winegard is a good way to see if you have a clear line of sight to the satellites using augmented reality.

He may have been setup from well before the EA was open
Possibly. It was a very long time ago. I can't remember when I upgraded to the 722k, but it was brand new back then. Now it's almost obsolete. It's been a while. I'm sure they did what they thought was best for my location and to be honest, I really didn't know a lot about it back then. (And as you can see, I really don't know a lot about it now, either!) That's why I appreciate all the help. A techie I'm not. I just want to watch TV!
Well I do work for DISH ;) - but understandably the experience with our customer support reps fell short in this situation.
I appreciate all the help. It wasn't my intention to denigrate Dish. It's just that the guy I finally reached after waiting for an hour on the phone didn't really seem to know anything about receivers or reception issues.

I asked him dozens of questions and his answers weren't at all helpful. At times, it seemed like I knew more about my equipment (which was actually Dish's equipment) than he did. Eventually, whether it was him or a glitch, we got disconnected and I wasn't about to wait on hold again to try and get back on the line with anyone else.

So I ended up here and I'm glad I did.

I'm considering an upgrade to the Hopper, but it seems like my real problems may be more out at the dish itself than the receiver that displays the signals. I doubt the Hopper will improve my reception problems. I might wind up right where I was, but paying more for the privilege.

Possibly. It was a very long time ago. I can't remember when I upgraded to the 722k, but it was brand new back then. Now it's almost obsolete. It's been a while. I'm sure they did what they thought was best for my location and to be honest, I really didn't know a lot about it back then. (And as you can see, I really don't know a lot about it now, either!) That's why I appreciate all the help. A techie I'm not. I just want to watch TV!

I appreciate all the help. It wasn't my intention to denigrate Dish. It's just that the guy I finally reached after waiting for an hour on the phone didn't really seem to know anything about receivers or reception issues.

I asked him dozens of questions and his answers weren't at all helpful. At times, it seemed like I knew more about my equipment (which was actually Dish's equipment) than he did. Eventually, whether it was him or a glitch, we got disconnected and I wasn't about to wait on hold again to try and get back on the line with anyone else.

So I ended up here and I'm glad I did.

I'm considering an upgrade to the Hopper, but it seems like my real problems may be more out at the dish itself than the receiver that displays the signals. I doubt the Hopper will improve my reception problems. I might wind up right where I was, but paying more for the privilege.

I was only joking! But to be completely transparent - the cyber attack basically destroyed all routing and agent tools...so you may have been speaking to someone with less than ideal amounts of training about our equipment because they may actually a billing agent, or a boost mobile agent prior to all of these calls being thrown in the same bucket. This is all being rebuilt and I completely understand that it is making troubleshooting equipment infinitely more difficult for both parties. Teams are working around the clock to get everything back to normal which should bring our customer service back to our original standards.

Speaking to your equipment - if you are satisfied with the interface you have now, and don't have any desire to be able to record more things at once, or a bigger hard drive, or the use of apps like netflix etc - then you are in the right box. I would DEFINITELY request an arc swap to EA because your local experience will improve greatly and you'll probably see a slight improvement in core channels as well.

I was on the phones a long time ago...maybe we spoke at some point!
Possibly. But the guy I spoke to seemed completely unaware of what receiver I was talking about or whether it was necessary to upgrade to a Hopper. I have to say I really didn't get any of my questions answered. So I doubt it was you. You helped me more in a few sentences more than he did in a 20 minute phone call! Thanks for that, by the way.

I was on the phones a long time ago...maybe we spoke at some point!
You know, I was just thinking that when I disconnected the service some years ago, I think the guy I talk to his name was Josh. And had a great conversation. I even educated him on a lot of things that would make life better for both customer service, and the technicians. Of course, I can’t remember what any of those things are anymore lol.

wtl:dbtr: Is there a New Phone Number for Retention?

With all the Cyber Fun that is going on, is there a new number for Retention? I called last December to drop Showtime that was erroneously sold with an unbelievable follow up package that was not true. When I called Retention I got a "Fantastic" Rep. She took time and spent time with me and we went all through my account to see what and where it is these days. Gotta take advantage when you get someone that knows what they are doing. I was told that my account was a mess and that I have not been getting the discounts and everything I should for being a (many things) 30 year customer. She typed a billion notes, that are probably gone after the attack, so that this situation could be taken care of when the time came. But the notes have never seemed to stay anyways. She said to check back the beginning of March when my contract is expiring. Oh, Joy! Right in the middle of the festivities.

In the meantime, my account pricing jumped three, four times and is now $80 more a month!

So I tried to call many times since the beginning on March and couldn't get through, got people that told me to call Retention of which I thought I was, got people that I could barely understand and so on . . . Since all this we have been seriously looking at Streaming Services, of which we have most everything "add-on" as stand-alone packages you can have that I grabbed at great deals during the onset of COVID. We've got so use to them and hooked on programming that we've kept them. Although I have always had a big d¡sh set up, it's becoming irrelevant in many ways. And at the price they want now, I no longer have that "FOMO or FOLO" feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think of not having them around anymore. Anyone may be want to buy a very well cared for H3?

</book></rant></test of my real inner feelings>

Reactions: charlesrshell
wtl:dbtr: Is there a New Phone Number for Retention?

With all the Cyber Fun that is going on, is there a new number for Retention? I called last December to drop Showtime that was erroneously sold with an unbelievable follow up package that was not true. When I called Retention I got a "Fantastic" Rep. She took time and spent time with me and we went all through my account to see what and where it is these days. Gotta take advantage when you get someone that knows what they are doing. I was told that my account was a mess and that I have not been getting the discounts and everything I should for being a (many things) 30 year customer. She typed a billion notes, that are probably gone after the attack, so that this situation could be taken care of when the time came. But the notes have never seemed to stay anyways. She said to check back the beginning of March when my contract is expiring. Oh, Joy! Right in the middle of the festivities.

In the meantime, my account pricing jumped three, four times and is now $80 more a month!

So I tried to call many times since the beginning on March and couldn't get through, got people that told me to call Retention of which I thought I was, got people that I could barely understand and so on . . . Since all this we have been seriously looking at Streaming Services, of which we have most everything "add-on" as stand-alone packages you can have that I grabbed at great deals during the onset of COVID. We've got so use to them and hooked on programming that we've kept them. Although I have always had a big d¡sh set up, it's becoming irrelevant in many ways. And at the price they want now, I no longer have that "FOMO or FOLO" feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think of not having them around anymore. Anyone may be want to buy a very well cared for H3?

</book></rant></test of my real inner feelings>
There is no direct number or Loyalty/Retention yet

Just call and tell the voice police, "Cancel Service". Trust me the next person on the line will be retention.
Did that once and it turned into a fight. I’m tired of fighting with these guys. Called in December and got “The Dream Rep”. The instructions she gave me sounded like she knew she wouldn’t be there long. Or was on her way out the door then. I nee to do something. It’s costing us a lot and I didn’t just install a new UniFi WiFi 6e system for nothing.

Spend a whole night moving TVs around and have it mostly set up to officially move to Streaming Only. I have noticed that I only used my H3 for one channel that I can easily get elsewhere where I spend more time.

The hard part is going to be getting the family reacclimated to a new way of do things that have been basically the same for 30 years.

But Rest Assured, I won’t be leaving SatGuys. You guys are my connection to what little sanity is left in the world.