Dish doesn't do metal roofs?

He says he's not allowed to "work" on a metal roof, saying that's Dish policy. Some installers are saying it is allowed, while others are saying it's not.

As the OP later added, it's a metal roof, three stories high, and a steep angle. No doubt every other installer would give it one look and say "No LOS". :D As is standard operating procedure, it would seem, get a 2nd installer out and he'll say "no problem".

You are correct. The second installer said 'no problem.' He replaced the failing LNB in my 61.5 dish, and signal strength on that satellite jumped from 10% average to 60%. He did however confirm that DISH inspectors are going around fining installers for rules violations, and that technically, replacing the LNB in a dish that is bolted to a metal roof is a rules violation.

He also looked over the property and said that he didn't see any place where a large dish could be placed; so, no 118.7 for me.

So, I got my most important goal -- fixing the failing LNB on which much of my HD depends. I am too relieved to be disappointed about not getting a bigger dish that would let me tune in to 118.7 and 129, in addition to the 110 and 119 that I get now.

I do think it's a shame that a well-intentioned installer who wants to please his customers should have to risk a fine to do it. That dish is anchored into pre-war 1x6's and 3/4" particle board, has never leaked a drop of water into the attic, and he did the whole job just by leaning out the window, and not that far either. Had he not done so, with only 110 and 119 left to choose from, DISH would probably have lost me as a customer.

I don't know what Dish's policy really is in regards to metal roofs and from the responses from installers so far, it seems no one else does either ! The fact that the installer put "no line of sight" on the work-order yet he told you it's because he isn't allowed to work on metal roofs, I'd be suspicious.... If he's not allowed on metal roofs, why didn't he put that on the work-order ? I say because he'd be dinged for not doing the job and that his excuse isn't actually valid.
The use of No line of sight is merely a term to give to the CSR so that they enter a reason for cancelling the W/o. The CSR's have codes with matching descriptions/reasons. There is no code for "metal roof" . So the closest thing is NLOS.

You might try to find an installer that could try to install it for you in your metal roof. Alternatively, you might have to think about installing it on some part of your house. This could make some possibilities.

You might try to find an installer that could try to install it for you in your metal roof. Alternatively, you might have to think about installing it on some part of your house. This could make some possibilities.

you do understand that this thread is over a year and a half old, right?

I am the original topic starter. As described in a separate thread, a long time ago, a subsequent installer bolted a DISH 500+ to a dormer and it has worked fine for me ever since. I only wish I had insisted on a DISH 1000, because I am in the 61.5/110/119 group.

This probably popped up today because I just finished recounting my experience on another thread ('Eurochannel') by way of suggesting that people who have a DISH configuration similar to the one I had two years ago (and who do not have a metal roof) could take advantage of the Eurochannel offer to get their DISH configuration upgraded without paying the $99 fee. The fellow who posted above probably got the two threads confused. Easy to do; I haven't posted in that many threads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts