Dish doesnt support Marriages

netwerkthis

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
FTWorth Tx
My girlfriend and I both have Dish. We both lease a 622 and 222 each total of four boxes under our own accounts. We are going to get married in last 2008 after our home is built. I called dish and ask what should I expect when we get married. I want to merge the accounts into one with the four boxes. This is against policy and not an option. One of us will have to close our account and give back the boxes. At the new home we have a max of 4 tv's or two leased boxes. Addtl boxes would have to purchased in full and still pay the extra box charge. I flipped. I asked for a supervisor. They said the same thing. I asked for the retention dept. He said this issue come up and didnt know of any other way to handle it other than opening a case and sending it up the chain.

I have the oldest account which they say will drop the contact late this year. They said we could both both accounts under one address and reduce services on one which is a joke. I said Im not running two boxes in cripple mode.

I cant believe Dish would do this.

Oh..then I called the Other network. for New accounts you get a discount on the 1st hd-dvr and slight on the next but each HD receiver is full price at $99ea. Having her two kids, two rec rooms fam etc.. it adds up to about 8 HD tvs total.

Im hoping that IF they call back they will allow us to merge.
Its not like there loosing business esp if my contract is up anyways
but Ill be damned if I have to re-buy back boxes that are new.
Anyone else heard of this sorta mess happening.

If you owned the boxes you could do it - I think the problem is you cannot take over a lease that is in someone elses name. I am confused as to how many tv's you are trying to service.

No need to "merge" accounts. Simply have her close her account - or you close yours - then add those boxes to the one existing account.

Thats what I asked for up front. They dont allow it.
If I close my account being the oldest and will be at end of contact
I have to turn my boxes back in to Dish..then to get the same back
Buy in FULL new units at Full price.

Moving from one to another Im told is not an option.

I think the problem is that dish only allows one account to have so many leased boxes and if you BOTH have 622's and 222's i think that is over the limit of leased boxes

I think the problem is that dish only allows one account to have so many leased boxes and if you BOTH have 622's and 222's i think that is over the limit of leased boxes

Yes thats exactly it. 4 Tv sets which is what you get when you have
the dual tuners. Tho I will have a combined total of 6 HD TVs so why should I have to pay for all those sat boxes.

We all know in 2009 its all going to HD. Am I breaking new ground here
for Dish to re-write the policies when households go 100% HD. There are going to be those SD tvs out there and thats what Dish can deal with today. But when homes dump the old sets and get HD in even just 5 rooms
Either they will need to change there own rules and support ALL tvs in HD
or come up with new boxes to support 2 HD TV outs.

This already has me thinking that among pulling 2 RG6 and 2 Cat5E I perhaps should leave a pull string or just put an addtl HDMI cable in and take it back to my structure wiring panel in the new home. This might let me consolidate 2 HD boxes in a central place and use some HDMI switcher to push the HD sig to any TV I wish via remote. Some tvs will just have to watch the same sig tho.

Dish needs to get rid of arbitrary and illogical limitations from its software, period. Such as the nonsense about having to have your 622 plugged into a phone line because it's two tuners -- it's not like you're going to give one of the tuners to someone else! They could rewrite their system to recognize that a 622 isn't the same as two single-tuner boxes.

Yes thats exactly it. 4 Tv sets which is what you get when you have
the dual tuners. Tho I will have a combined total of 6 HD TVs so why should I have to pay for all those sat boxes.

We all know in 2009 its all going to HD. Am I breaking new ground here
for Dish to re-write the policies when households go 100% HD. There are going to be those SD tvs out there and thats what Dish can deal with today. But when homes dump the old sets and get HD in even just 5 rooms
Either they will need to change there own rules and support ALL tvs in HD
or come up with new boxes to support 2 HD TV outs.

This already has me thinking that among pulling 2 RG6 and 2 Cat5E I perhaps should leave a pull string or just put an addtl HDMI cable in and take it back to my structure wiring panel in the new home. This might let me consolidate 2 HD boxes in a central place and use some HDMI switcher to push the HD sig to any TV I wish via remote. Some tvs will just have to watch the same sig tho.

Dish is going all HD next year? Really!?!?!?! That must be news to the 11+ million of their customers that only SD service.
Dish isn't saying you can't do it. They are saying that if you want to have more receivers beyond what they allow leased per account (and that goes for everyone married or single, rich or poor by the way) then you have to buy them. I don't see the problem there.

Dish is going all HD next year? Really!?!?!?! That must be news to the 11+ million of their customers that only SD service.
Dish isn't saying you can't do it. They are saying that if you want to have more receivers beyond what they allow leased per account (and that goes for everyone married or single, rich or poor by the way) then you have to buy them. I don't see the problem there.

What I mean by going ALL HD is thats what the networks and locals are doing.. You know about that. There wont be any SD locals anymore. TVs are getting cheep in the HD format so its just time when people trash the SD Tubes for HD. Then just wait till all those home users want more than 2 HD tuners from Dish.. Direct is the same. 1st two boxes at discount. Then pay for the extras.

Its just a rip.

What I mean by going ALL HD is thats what the networks and locals are doing.. You know about that. There wont be any SD locals anymore.

Sorry but this information is not true. They are not all going HD. The only thing that is special about 2009 is they have to broadcast in digital OTA not analog. The 2009 date has nothing to do with HD.

Last edited:
Over the air broadcasts are going digital in Feb 2009, meaning the only people that are affected by this are the ones that still use rabbit ears. If you have cable or a satellite provider you have nothing to worry about.

What I mean by going ALL HD is thats what the networks and locals are doing.. You know about that. There wont be any SD locals anymore. TVs are getting cheep in the HD format so its just time when people trash the SD Tubes for HD. Then just wait till all those home users want more than 2 HD tuners from Dish.. Direct is the same. 1st two boxes at discount. Then pay for the extras.

Its just a rip.

There is a difference between digital and HD. You know all about that don't you!?! :rolleyes:

Don't over complicate this. When you move, keep both accounts. Make the address of yours:

your name
123 any street
your town

and make hers:
her name
123 any street Apt 2
your town

done deal.

It doesn't make them one account but it DOES keep all of the receivers.
I have no idea what you will need to distribute the signal to that many receivers, but I'm sure someone else here will know.

SD TVs will still receive programming from Dish, Direct & cable. THey will not be able to receive over the air brodcasts after The change over in 2009. Only people with outside antenna hooked to SD TVs will need to get converter boxes or new tvs.

Broadcastr channels are going digital (not HD). There will be not any more broadcast analog programming.

You guys are not seeing my point..Im being to think your all DISH staff or something.. haha

Ok 1.. Yes I know there will be SD broadcast on other channels for a long time to come. Years..Old programming well call it.

But IF you want HD at all..say on any possible TV IN HD say, FOX 24 or What ever you need an HD TV at each possible viewing location to view it and you need an HD BOX to get it.. Ok are we all on the same page.. ?? This means I need/Want an HD box in every room that I have an HD TV.. say 7 TVs ok???? dont think I need to explain this anymore.

Now.. In order to get an HD BOX in every room, Dish will only discount
the 1st and 2nd box if I buy new..every box after is full price.
IE: HD Receiver vip222 at full cost times the number of Tvs I want on HD.. possible 4. (less the 2 she has already)

All I want to do is close my account.. keep hers since its still in contract
Move MY HD Boxes to her account. Then I dont have to PAY for new boxes which DISH wants me to do. I already paid for them under the lease contract.

As I stated above.. They did say I can keep both accounts under one address.. HELLO.. Why the hell would I do this.. I have to pay for double service with for the same programming.. Stupid.. $85/for each account vs pay for just 2 addtl box connects at what $5 or $6ea. Im not going to do as they offered and put less of an account on those(my) old boxes. Then I cant get all the programming she has at each location.

Worse comes to worse. I just walk away from my account and split the HDMI signals to multiple TVs with a distribution switcher. It might cost the same but at least I wont be paying for the month sub fee's

Dont get me wrong. I want Dish to have my money but not where Im paying $500 for new boxes when mine already work.

Don't over complicate this. When you move, keep both accounts. Make the address of yours:

your name
123 any street
your town

and make hers:
her name
123 any street Apt 2
your town

done deal.

It doesn't make them one account but it DOES keep all of the receivers.
I have no idea what you will need to distribute the signal to that many receivers, but I'm sure someone else here will know.

Issue with this is Im paying double the monthly.

ie: $80 for 2 boxes and another $80 for the other two. Not going to happen.

Under the terms of 'Leased Receivers', once the account is closed, they must be returned to Dish Network. They cannot be transfered to another account. You actually agreed to this when you set up your account as you do not own them and never did. There is a limit to the number of leased receivers as well as the number of leased tuners. Your choices are either to keep both accounts or return any leased receivers. You do not have to buy new receivers from Dish, so if you can get a better price somewhere else on Dish receivers, you are more than welcome to purchased them there and add them to one of the accounts. The fact that you are getting married to someone who already has dish has nothing to do with the rules Dish has pertaining to leased receivers.

You guys are not seeing my point..Im being to think your all DISH staff or something.. haha

Ok 1.. Yes I know there will be SD broadcast on other channels for a long time to come. Years..Old programming well call it.

But IF you want HD at all..say on any possible TV IN HD say, FOX 24 or What ever you need an HD TV at each possible viewing location to view it and you need an HD BOX to get it.. Ok are we all on the same page.. ?? This means I need/Want an HD box in every room that I have an HD TV.. say 7 TVs ok???? dont think I need to explain this anymore.

Now.. In order to get an HD BOX in every room, Dish will only discount
the 1st and 2nd box if I buy new..every box after is full price.
IE: HD Receiver vip222 at full cost times the number of Tvs I want on HD.. possible 4. (less the 2 she has already)

All I want to do is close my account.. keep hers since its still in contract
Move MY HD Boxes to her account. Then I dont have to PAY for new boxes which DISH wants me to do. I already paid for them under the lease contract.

As I stated above.. They did say I can keep both accounts under one address.. HELLO.. Why the hell would I do this.. I have to pay for double service with for the same programming.. Stupid.. $85/for each account vs pay for just 2 addtl box connects at what $5 or $6ea. Im not going to do as they offered and put less of an account on those(my) old boxes. Then I cant get all the programming she has at each location.

Worse comes to worse. I just walk away from my account and split the HDMI signals to multiple TVs with a distribution switcher. It might cost the same but at least I wont be paying for the month sub fee's

Dont get me wrong. I want Dish to have my money but not where Im paying $500 for new boxes when mine already work.

I'm starting to think you aren't seeing anyone's point.
That are the rules in place.
So when do you think enough discounted/free equipment is enough. 10 receivers, 15 receivers 20 receivers? At some point the line has to be drawn and the company drawing the line has to start making money (you know the reason they do business).
Would you be okay with six leased HD receivers and a 48 month commitment?

Under the terms of 'Leased Receivers', once the account is closed, they must be returned to Dish Network. They cannot be transfered to another account. You actually agreed to this when you set up your account as you do not own them and never did. There is a limit to the number of leased receivers as well as the number of leased tuners. Your choices are either to keep both accounts or return any leased receivers. You do not have to buy new receivers from Dish, so if you can get a better price somewhere else on Dish receivers, you are more than welcome to purchased them there and add them to one of the accounts. The fact that you are getting married to someone who already has dish has nothing to do with the rules Dish has pertaining to leased receivers.

Yes they did say that on the phone..It really is a lame rule dont you think
I could see why they wrote it to prevent Non-married couples from sharing boxes but if you able to prove with a copy of the marriage license you THINK they would make an exception.

On the other hand I could take a shot and say.. Ok.. send me a copy of the contract I signed with my sig and your statement. Just in case the installer didnt send it back after I connected or they lost it in there filing system.. They might have it..then again they might not.

I'm starting to think you aren't seeing anyone's point.
That are the rules in place.
So when do you think enough discounted/free equipment is enough. 10 receivers, 15 receivers 20 receivers? At some point the line has to be drawn and the company drawing the line has to start making money (you know the reason they do business).
Would you be okay with six leased HD receivers and a 48 month commitment?

ALL Im asking is that WHAT I already paid for I should be able to move them UNDER a marriage.

Think about the flip. Couple married.. has 4 boxes.. gets divorced
and they want to split up the boxes they paid for... Not going to happen is it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts