Dish doesnt support Marriages

netwerkthis your heading is what threw me, but I do see what you are saying. Dish is geared to you having one - maybe two HD TV's. You are saying that soon people will have all HD TV's and will need an HD box for all of them. In your case, I would not threaten, but suggest to them that they are forcing you to go to cable where you can indeed get HD for as many TV's as you have. (At least with may local Charter) And you would not have to buy anything.

netwerkthis your heading is what threw me, but I do see what you are saying. Dish is geared to you having one - maybe two HD TV's. You are saying that soon people will have all HD TV's and will need an HD box for all of them. In your case, I would not threaten, but suggest to them that they are forcing you to go to cable where you can indeed get HD for as many TV's as you have. (At least with may local Charter) And you would not have to buy anything.

Well Im not threatening them at all.. Im just asking for exception..
Actually I wonder if there rule states specifically..Marriages do not allow
for combining equipment.

Cable blows. Yes free boxes but the signal is lacking even in digital.

FIOS would be the only exception but Im under the att cloud.

ALL Im asking is that WHAT I already paid for I should be able to move them UNDER a marriage.

Think about the flip. Couple married.. has 4 boxes.. gets divorced
and they want to split up the boxes they paid for... Not going to happen is it.

Sounds to me that you still don't get it.
What exactly have you paid for and own here. Do you own the receivers? If you did, there wouldn't be a problem here and you can take them and put them on any account you want. Have you paid for your programming for the next couple years in advanced?
As far as your "example". Do the divorcing couple OWN the boxes? If they do, the judge gets to decide. If they are leasing the boxes then the boxes stay with which ever person gets the account and the other person gets to start their own account with new receivers at their new place of residence.

Yes they did say that on the phone..It really is a lame rule dont you think
I could see why they wrote it to prevent Non-married couples from sharing boxes but if you able to prove with a copy of the marriage license you THINK they would make an exception.

On the other hand I could take a shot and say.. Ok.. send me a copy of the contract I signed with my sig and your statement. Just in case the installer didnt send it back after I connected or they lost it in there filing system.. They might have it..then again they might not.

The Dish contracts are wording is such a way as they do not need your signature, acceptance of the service constitute a legal contract. What you should do is figure out which TV's need a dvr and also figure in if all the TV's will be in use at the same time. You can wire two HD TV's to one HD receiver (on via component and the other by HDMI) and share the HD on two TV if you don't mind both having the same program at the same time. Also, if you have any TV's that do not need a dvr, buy a 211 (a lot less money) for that TV.

ALL Im asking is that WHAT I already paid for I should be able to move them UNDER a marriage.

What you paid for is a lease fee to lease the receivers not own them, if you had tried to get all the receivers you want on your account now (before being married), you would have been denied as well if you were single. I agree with the other posts, the rules are there for a reason, preexisting account do not facilitate a changing of the rules everyone else has to follow.

Yes they did say that on the phone..It really is a lame rule dont you think
I could see why they wrote it to prevent Non-married couples from sharing boxes but if you able to prove with a copy of the marriage license you THINK they would make an exception.

On the other hand I could take a shot and say.. Ok.. send me a copy of the contract I signed with my sig and your statement. Just in case the installer didnt send it back after I connected or they lost it in there filing system.. They might have it..then again they might not.
Contracts are kept on file for the duration of the time frame plus an additional year atleast as are the work orders.

Nope I dont think its a lame rule, you lease something then it has to come back when you close out your account, it could be more like leasing a new car and you have to return it and end your service with them wether you want to or not.

Couple splits up then one has to get a new account simple as that and really it ends up being a better deal for one of them anyways if you think about it.

I understand what your saying in all of this but its in the contracts fine print and if you find it so lame then really you should have not signed the contract or did as some others here have done and amended that part out and signed it. As it is you should close out the oldest account, let the other one mature and then look at a dishin it up upgrade but really what your asking for them to do your not going to find any company to do that.

I can't believe no one's suggested this yet !! The answer to all of the world's problems....

E-mail "ceo@echostar.com" and explain what's going on.

Well Im not threatening them at all.. Im just asking for exception..
Actually I wonder if there rule states specifically..Marriages do not allow
for combining equipment.

Cable blows. Yes free boxes but the signal is lacking even in digital.

FIOS would be the only exception but Im under the att cloud.

Oh, for God's sake! Give it a damn rest! If you don't like the leasing rules then find another provider! :river Geeez, enough already!!

you keeping using the term to "combine my equipment". its not your equipment. its dishes. and dish leased you the equipment with in mind it would be used for your account only, and when that account was to be terminated then the equipment would be returned. its no surprise, its in your service aggreement. i bet you also expect your landlord to let you out of your lease or let her out of her lease if you were renting homes since you are getting married, and merging your households too. and even if they did merge the equip, then imagine the hassle this will cause dish if/when you divorce. puts dish in a custody battle of leased equipment that im pretty sure no company would want to deal with.

There is no reason to contact the ceo email. This is so black and white its amazing this is still going on and on. First off netwerkthis you dont own anything. You signed a lease agreement to have dish installed and rent the receivers for x number of months. When you cancel they will send you a box which you must ship the receivers back, otherwise you will get a nice bill.

Now you want out of what you agreed to because you dont want to pay for anything and it benefits you. Not going to happen. Dish only allows a set number of leased tuners, 6 I believe, and no more unless you buy the bo:mad:s).

Cancel your contract, and then use DIU to add more receivers on the other account or simply buy the receivers yourself. If you really have that many tvs and need HD so bad then be prepared to pay for it. If it were that cheap then I guess we all would have 8 HD tv's.

OP is a crybaby. The terms were set in writing and now he wants to throw a tantrum until he gets his way.

Watch out for falling beer cans. Men should act like men.

I can't believe no one's suggested this yet !! The answer to all of the world's problems....

E-mail "ceo@echostar.com" and explain what's going on.

Not in an issue of mingling equipment. If it was a straight cut and dry "one account under contract, one not, one purchased equipment, the other not" I'd agree. But in this case you're mixing and matching leased equipment.

They won't touch this because is raises legal complications they won't know how to address...and in truth asking them to try might make things worse.

As I've said before...anything is possible within the system. But he isn't going to get that far. (CEO COULD try, but the instant they disable one of those receivers it'll charge the account...)

The Wizard could do it... but no one gets in to see The Wizard!

my girlfirend and i are both leasing two cars from toyota. i wonder if when we get married if they will allow us to merge both the cars onto one lease payment that does not come near equaling the cost of two lease payments, you know, charge only 5 bucks extra a month for the second leased car. i dont see why they wouldnt go for it....

Just have your wife change her address to the same as yours and include apt # 2 or a. there should be no problem, but there will still be two accounts. . . but if you want all those receivers i think its the only way

This is one of those things in life that doesn't seem fair or logical, but from the point of view of the business, it is something that they likely can't or won't do anything about. How do they really know that the marriage claim is true? Combining accounts? I don't know if their software can even do that? Even if they did consider marriage and consolidating an account when purchasing their account system/software, Dish probably thought it wasn't worth the trouble of software demands from the vendor nor the nightmare of others attempting to abuse such a scenario by claiming to be getting married, just as there those who "move" don't really move. Heck, this would create a new mission for auditing! How can that be good. While there may be some industries that can consolidate accounts, it has been my experience that many companies don't, and when they do, they often screw it up. Far easier to drop one account, nice employees often advise, to avoid nightmares. In fact, it may not be right, but it probably isn't worth Dish's trouble-hassle. And I know from personal experience that MANY successful companies would rather lose a customer here and there rather than try hassle a nightmare for the company and their computer system and the way they do things because, in the end, it would cost them too much money in labor (expensive IT labor) to accommodate you. Far easier for them to say close one account and leave one open, and buy additional boxes if you like and not have to ask you for proof marriage--that is somewhere Dish simply won't go in regards to personal questions to its customers. This would become a headache for Dish. But that's life. Now, move on to the really important things in life, like enjoying your new life partner. Don't let the Dish thing ruin it for you.

Last edited:
This would be like each of you having 5 cell phones on an account. and want to combine both accounts totaling 10 cell phone on one account. NOT GONNA HAPPEN the limit there is 5 PER ACCOUNT. get over it and face it your not gonna get 8 leased boxes on one account.

This would be like each of you having 5 cell phones on an account. and want to combine both accounts totaling 10 cell phone on one account. NOT GONNA HAPPEN the limit there is 5 PER ACCOUNT. get over it and face it your not gonna get 8 leased boxes on one account.

Actually the limit is 6 receivers, 4 lease tuners, but who's counting?

I agree with DISH on this one...

You have a 622 and a 222, and you soon to be wife also has a 622 and a 222. Thats a total of 8 leased tuners!!!!!

The business rules state that there is a maximum of 4 leased tuners per account, so if you combine the 2 accounts then thats 8 leased tuners.

Now if you had a 622, and your soon to be wife had a 622 and you wanted to put both 622's on the same account I could see your argument, but your both already at the 4 tuner limit!

You can surely keep both accounts and pay 2 seperate bills, but if you want to combine them then the other 4 leased tuners must go, and you'll need to re-purchase them as owned tuners!

Directv aint gonna treat you any better, your still gonna have to spend severl hundred dollars to buy/lease all new equipment to give you something close to what your trying to accomplish with DISH.

BTW, if DISH allowed everyone to do what your trying to get them to do, then everytime someone wanted to upgrade equipment they would have their wife call in and open a 2nd account, wait till its installed and try to combine the 2 accounts!

BTW, Dish does not have a problem with Marriage, the problem is divorce because when 2 people get divorced the first thing to go is the DISH! I couldn't count how many times I have been charged back when a couple splits up or gets divorced and nobody wants to keep the Dish, or move it to their new home!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts