Dish doesn't want me back, here I come Direct!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pfan1981

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Green Bay, WI
Short story, had dish for 5ish years. Sold house. Apartment didn't have line of sight. Had charter (YUCK!) for three weeks. Another apartment became available with line of sight. Moving into new apartment on 12/1/10. Called DISH to reactivate account and stuff, says it hasn't been 90 days so I would have to buy equipment, which is no benefit other than not being under contract.

So...............................DIRECT here I come. We are going to have HD DVR in the living room and just HD in the bedroom. It's all free!?!?!?!?! that is pretty amazing and cool. I am going with Choice since I don't need encore channels since I have netflix.

1. My bill according the website is $50 for the first 12 months, what thereafter?

2. What are the big things I will notice from DISH?

Thanks everyone,

pfan

I noticed a better HD picture, and as much as everyone harps about dish networks equipment, I like the HR24 and H24 much more (this is the setup you are going to want as well). Also, get Whole house DVR function activated and your bedroom TV will have access to your DVR as well. You will also be able to schedule recordings from there.

Go To Directv site

If you go to Directv site and go thru ordering process (you dont have to complete order if not ready ,just delete)but the Directv site should tell you in a chart they have on their site what you will be paying for up to 2 years.It breaks it down Month to Month.

So if I understand this right...........I don't need HD DVR in our bedroom? If I go HD DVR in the living room and only HD in the bedroom...........I can still watch DVR material in my bedroom? That would be stupendous if so.

So if I understand this right...........I don't need HD DVR in our bedroom? If I go HD DVR in the living room and only HD in the bedroom...........I can still watch DVR material in my bedroom? That would be stupendous if so.
Yes, that's correct and that's how MRV works.

pfan1981 said:
Short story, had dish for 5ish years. Sold house. Apartment didn't have line of sight. Had charter (YUCK!) for three weeks. Another apartment became available with line of sight. Moving into new apartment on 12/1/10. Called DISH to reactivate account and stuff, says it hasn't been 90 days so I would have to buy equipment, which is no benefit other than not being under contract.

So...............................DIRECT here I come. We are going to have HD DVR in the living room and just HD in the bedroom. It's all free!?!?!?!?! that is pretty amazing and cool. I am going with Choice since I don't need encore channels since I have netflix.

1. My bill according the website is $50 for the first 12 months, what thereafter?

2. What are the big things I will notice from DISH?

Thanks everyone,

pfan

You ordered Whole Home DVR service right?

yes it is. I just got installed about 2 weeks ago., but I paid a little upgrade fee so I have a pair of HR24s instead of 1 HR24 and 1H24.

I am going with Choice since I don't need encore channels since I have netflix.

OK, but you ARE aware that there IS another pkg between Choice & Choice Ultimate (which is the only base pkg below Premier to have them as well) called Choice Xtra. You are also aware that there are many channels NOT on Choice such as WGN America, Bio, Hist Int, DIY, G4, both Nat Geo's, Nicktoons, Ovation, Oxygen & Versus, among others, which ARE in Choice Xtra.

But the other reason to tell you this is - as a new cust, if you went with Choice Xtra, you would get FREE HD access - it's $10 on the pkg you're taking. So, common sense would tell you that you would ultimately still save $5 by going w/Choice Xtra.

Yes, I believe whole home DVR is included in my initial install. According to the website, with the initial install I get whole home DVR, HD/DVR in living room, HD in bedroom, free install, and $50/mo for the first year.

After a year, 63.99 for choice, $7 for DVR service, $3 whole-home DVR, Receiver lease fee $5. For $78.99 before taxes.

I like these prices, very similar to my days with DISH and a 622 in the living room and 612 in the bedroom.

My last question, is there differences in the receivers the installer might bring out? I know with DISH, you always wanted a 722, instead of the 622. A 722k for over the air channels vs. a normal 722.

Thanks, pfan

OK, but you ARE aware that there IS another pkg between Choice & Choice Ultimate (which is the only base pkg below Premier to have them as well) called Choice Xtra. You are also aware that there are many channels NOT on Choice such as WGN America, Bio, Hist Int, DIY, G4, both Nat Geo's, Nicktoons, Ovation, Oxygen & Versus, among others, which ARE in Choice Xtra.

But the other reason to tell you this is - as a new cust, if you went with Choice Xtra, you would get FREE HD access - it's $10 on the pkg you're taking. So, common sense would tell you that you would ultimately still save $5 by going w/Choice Xtra.

My bad, yup choice extra is what we would be going with on December 1st. Thanks, pfan

Cool, I'm on the same exact pkg (the old Total Choice +) & the majority of my D* clients are as well. Most don't really care about the Encores.

BUT as far as your receiver question, you should know there is NO guarantee of what receivers you'll get - other than 1 HD DVR & 1 HD receiver, sorry.
Since you are getting MRV, most likely though you will NOT get H/HR 20's - it'll be xx21's or above. Right now there is an HD receiver shortage, & I'm seeing several folks getting installs/upgrades with the likes of 21's, etc...

I got Direct service 2 weeks ago and got whole home service. it is great record my shows in the living room and watch them in the bedroom. You should get the most up to date receivers also i got a HR24 and a H24. As said before i think the picture is a lot better compared to dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts