Dish doing too well?

This is why I refuse to get in to commitments with these companies if I don't have to. You get MUCH better service when you can just up and leave if you are not happy. If they know they know they have you locked in, they really don't care if you are happy or not. They are getting their money either way.

After my first 18 month commitment with Dish (this is before they caught on and figured lets lock em in for 2 years instead of 1.5), I just purchased my own receivers when I wanted to upgrade. Now when I leave, I can sell them, get a few bucks back, walk away, and not have to deal with them anymore.

Sprint is another company that kisses your feet when you are not under contract. This past year I was up for renewal of my contract. They would call me weekly telling me about getting a new phone, asking if everything is fine, and when I called with a problem they would bend over backwards to fix it. One week into my 'new' agreement I had some issues and they pretty much blew me off.

The only reason I stay with Sprint is because i've been with them so long and get 27% discount off their plans because of my past employer. So I get a free upgrade each year.

DirecTV, Dish, Versizon-Fios. etc, etc, It seems like NONE of the lot know or care about "how to do customer service" . To them customers are little more than "milk cows" to be drained regularly and then thrown away when no longer productive. To me, that is the sad outcome of capitalism. Customer service is sacrificed on the alte of teh "bottom line". If losing customers along the way happens, it is ok with them so long as "the numbers" still look good from new suckers, oops I mean customers come along to replace the worn out milk cows.

I agree with many of the posters here, why should they let you out of your contract? You said you would return, which would mean you will get all the new customer deals and another new box. So you want them to let you out without ETF and then just a few months later return and get all the freebies on top? Like the other poster said, you have the option to put it on hold, if you really do want to keep it and install in the near future that is your best option.

Isn't this situation exactly why there is COMPETITION. I take no position on the OP's situation, but merely promote the idea that if--for any reason--someone doesn't like how a company does business--especially one that is following the terms of the contract, or otherwise is fulfilling its obligations per contract to the customer--HONOR your end of the stipulation and stop giving them your business and give your money to their competitors. In other words: if a company won't give your a "freebie" to which you are NOT entitled, then don't whine about it in public, just honor your end of the bargain and vote with your pocketbook by making cable, Uverse, Verizon, Direc TV, et al, richer with your business. That is usually the only way a company may change its ways. This situation is Dish Network's loss, if you will. That's the way things work in a free market society.

Can't you downgrade to the lowest acceptable (to Dish) programming level? Then when you return all (or all but a basic receiver) you will have no hardware costs. This over your remaining contract is usually al lot cheaper than even a couple of months of whatever service you will have had.
-Ken

I say quit giving him options and let him go.

Agreed.

We should all just keep our opinions to ourselves and don't speak up when we don't agree with what the big bad companies are doing to our pocketbooks. We should be happy a company like Dish Network is out there willing to bend us over while letting us watch TV. We should just trust that they are always putting their customer's interests first when reviewing our rates.:rolleyes:

All I can say is WOW. The poor guy come here to vent some frustration after getting dumped on by a billion dollar big company, and all he gets here is Big company butt kissers dumping on him again. WOW...

I for sure know that I am not made of money like these big companies are.

We do not know the situation he was in when moving. He may have not had a choice of location availability in his temporary housing.

At the very least dish could Have offers a Hold of service until his now digs were ready as an alternative to him leaving. But they, as all big company's do, truly believe they can get you on the rebound again for more money. They played the scare tactic to try and get him not to leave and it back fired on them.

I truly believe that all company's have forgotten that they work for the customer of there product, and things like this do nothing but cause a loss of not only this customer but the next one he ends up telling them about his bad experience. and now more than likely since the big company lost said customer there will be a charge back to the installer who is on the other end.

The cause of all this Big Business crap on the customer is caused by shareholders who expect a 5-10% increase year over year. They actually post a loss if they do not hit there outrageous projected goals even tho the company was made a billion dollars profit. It sickens me.

Last edited:
And to the other point, why should you pay them to fix their own box they lease to you? The cable company doesn't do that here. If you are happy with Cheap Chuckles, good for you.

Maybe you don't understand the difference between Lease and Rent. If you lease a car you are still responsible for the care and maintenance and repair of your leased vehicle. In the case of Cable, around here Comcast "rents" the boxes to you. Normally, the rentor is responsible for the maintenance. If I rent a house and the roof leaks, the landlord pays to fix it. If I rent a car and the ac quits, the rental company pays to fix it. Understand now?

A suggestion- I assume you made the decision that you were unable to get Dish Service yourself. Then you made the decision to cancel. How about you try a different approach and call for Dish to send out one of their employees who, according to your assessment will have to refuse you service. If Dish refuses you service, then they can't charge you an ETF because it is their decision, not yours. IMO, you just didn't play the game right if you made all the decisions. You will need to arm yourself with all the details like the dish move agreement, try to find if it requires you to move to a place with a southern LOS. If not you just may have a path to get out of your 2 yr contract because they choose to terminate it, not you.

Good luck to you! :)

Anybody can make up any excuse to try to get out of a penalty on a contract or ppv charges on their bill. This is why they make it nearly impossible to get out of those charges. For all that Dish Network knows, you could be making up an excuse and no proof that you ain't. Even if they did believe you, a deal is a deal, and both sides should obide by their contract.

I think it would be nice if satellite companies would waive ETF's if you move to an area that has no line of sight or not able to get the service. It would make it more attractive to go to their service. Business is business though and all companies have to make money to survive. They cannot survive if they let people out of their contracts.

No. But as a customer courtesy to a long time customer who would reup soon, it is just good customer service. The idea of ETFs are to recover money for a discounted box. They have made more off me than if I had just signed up a year ago. I never said I didn't owe it. It is just poor customer service and a good way to alienate a long term customer. Penny wise and pound foolish. Good companies know it is cheaper to keep these kind of customer happy than to go get new ones. Fifteen year loyalty should mean something. Companies drool to get this kind of customer.

The phone company on the other hand, gave me a waive on the DSL ETF and I only had if for a bit over a year.

BTW, it isn't that I didn't check for a southern view. I choose apartments by more important criteria than which way they face. Luckily my new employer will reimburse me, but dish showed me how they roll, and I will not be back.

And to the other point, why should you pay them to fix their own box they lease to you? The cable company doesn't do that here. If you are happy with Cheap Chuckles, good for you.

I don't think you'll get any sympathy here on your case.
The terms of the agreemnt are clear.
Dish is not an other compnay. And like Hemi stated, Directv would have crushed your bank account.
How ever you try to rationalize this with how much Dish has made off you and so on, does not matter. An agreement is an agreement.
I do not understand something. You acknowledge you owe the money for early termination yet you want Dish to cut you a deal?
What about all the other customers who through no fault of their own have to cancel and are summarily charged?

I don't know if they still do this, but when I moved in the middle of my agreement I couldn't get a dish installed for a few months until after I moved. It took 2 phone calls, since the 1st CSR was clueless, but Dish put a hold on my account for 6 months. My agreement didnt advance, I got to keep my equipment, and they only charged me a nominal fee each month until I was able to restore service at my new location...seems to me this is the option they should have offered you.

Otherwise, if Dish doesn't have any guarantee that you will be coming back to them why should they do you any favors in letting you go? That's like asking your wife to give you her wedding ring back when you get a divorce so you can give it to your new girlfriend. "Don't worry honey, once I'm through with her I'll bring it back to you when we get remarried." Yeah, right....

I have tried to get customers service "paused" on their behalf. That has been denied 100% of the time if those customers were inside of the 24 mth term.
You may have gotten very lucky.

you just answered what E*'s problems are, along with being quite greedy!

SO requiring a customer to live up to their end of the agreement is greed?...
Jeez.
Ok....Supose for a monet you are a private contractor that installs widgets in peoples homes.
You go to the home and meet with the customer.
You present him/her with an agreement form for them to sign. The agreement is a syandard work authorization agreemnt that includes payment information that indicates the charges to which the customer agrees.
You finish the job and the customer refuses to pay. He says he figured out he cannot use the widget.
He wants you to remove the widget and because he is not going to use the widget asks you to absolve him of financial responsibility to you.
Would this be ok with you? Or would you demand payment as agreed to by the parties?
What this boils down to is most people would answer yes to the latter question. But because the postions are reversed and it involves someone else's money( in this case Dish's) they think it is ok not to be obligated to the terms of the contract.

This is why I refuse to get in to commitments with these companies if I don't have to. You get MUCH better service when you can just up and leave if you are not happy. If they know they know they have you locked in, they really don't care if you are happy or not. They are getting their money either way.

After my first 18 month commitment with Dish (this is before they caught on and figured lets lock em in for 2 years instead of 1.5), I just purchased my own receivers when I wanted to upgrade. Now when I leave, I can sell them, get a few bucks back, walk away, and not have to deal with them anymore.

Sprint is another company that kisses your feet when you are not under contract. This past year I was up for renewal of my contract. They would call me weekly telling me about getting a new phone, asking if everything is fine, and when I called with a problem they would bend over backwards to fix it. One week into my 'new' agreement I had some issues and they pretty much blew me off.

The only reason I stay with Sprint is because i've been with them so long and get 27% discount off their plans because of my past employer. So I get a free upgrade each year.
It's called leverage.
I have Verizon, no contract. They send me stuff and email me all the time with all kinds of deals.
I can get a Blackberry Tour which is one of the higher end devices in the Balckberry line Verizon offers, for free...If I sign up for two years.
I also have Dish.. No contract. Now ,since I am a tech, I don't need their help.
One tome my older model DVR crapped out. I called them and got a replacement fro $20..Taht was shipping only. The reciver is mine. I own it.
If I go to HD , I will purchase any equipment I need to upgrade my own account.
Again, no contract means I have leverage.

All I can say is WOW. The poor guy come here to vent some frustration after getting dumped on by a billion dollar big company, and all he gets here is Big company butt kissers dumping on him again. WOW...

We do not know the situation he was in when moving. He may have not had a choice of location availability in his temporary housing.

At the very least dish could Have offers a Hold of service until his now digs were ready as an alternative to him leaving. But they, as all big company's do, truly believe they can get you on the rebound again for more money. They played the scare tactic to try and get him not to leave and it back fired on them.

I truly believe that all company's have forgotten that they work for the customer of there product, and things like this do nothing but cause a loss of not only this customer but the next one he ends up telling them about his bad experience. and now more than likely since the big company lost said customer there will be a charge back to the installer who is on the other end.

The cause of all this Big Business crap on the customer is caused by shareholders who expect a 5-10% increase year over year. They actually post a loss if they do not hit there outrageous projected goals even tho the company was made a billion dollars profit. It sickens me.
Hmm...Ok another anti free market individual..
Ok...DO you think it's ok for peole to throw a piece of paper out of their car window onto the highway? AFter all it's just ONE little piece of paper..Now suppose a section of roadway has 100,000 cars travel on it each day. Suppose every person in each one of those vehicles throws one little piece of paper out of their car window. Now we have a huge mess.
In other words every time a piece of paper hits the ground it make the mess larger. It adds up. Get it?
No one is "dumping" on the OP. We are stating our position. We understand the world of business. We also understand the defintion of a contract.
BTW how do you knwo the OP doesn't work for one "those big companies" ? The company that pays his salary and quite possibly could have paid for his move to a new location so they could use his services as an employee?
Or maybe he works for a small business that is strugglingot turn a profit?
Either way, most of us are employed. 40% of us work for one of those "big companies".

Ok...DO you think it's ok for peole to throw a piece of paper out of their car window onto the highway? AFter all it's just ONE little piece of paper..Now suppose a section of roadway has 100,000 cars travel on it each day. Suppose every person in each one of those vehicles throws one little piece of paper out of their car window. Now we have a huge mess.
In other words every time a piece of paper hits the ground it make the mess larger. It adds up. Get it?
No one is "dumping" on the OP. We are stating our position. We understand the world of business. We also understand the defintion of a contract.
BTW how do you knwo the OP doesn't work for one "those big companies" ? The company that pays his salary and quite possibly could have paid for his move to a new location so they could use his services as an employee?
Or maybe he works for a small business that is strugglingot turn a profit?
Either way, most of us are employed. 40% of us work for one of those "big companies".

I actually wish those littering fools including smokers with the cigarette buts would get fined the littering law...

I am one of them that work for one of those big companies who has taken the big pay cut, and yes I am glad to still have a job.

and as I stated we do not know the story of the op...

If he does that does not change that his current temporary situation does not allow him line of site, or so he stated, because we do not know. That is why i think all companies who require a contract should allow temporary suspension of service. not years but up to 6 months or so.

Ok...DO you think it's ok for peole to throw a piece of paper out of their car window onto the highway? AFter all it's just ONE little piece of paper..NNOw suppose a section of roadway has 100,000 cars travel on it each day. Suppose every perosn in each one of those vehicles throws one little piece of paper out of their car window. Now we have a huge mess.

the dha agreement does not let no line of site of void the ETF fee. if the customer chooses to relocate it is beyond dish's control. even those this OP says he is not choosing to relocate, no one has a gun to his head forcing him to. he is choosing to relocate to better suit himself when it comes down to it.

if you do not like the terms of the commitment, then you should have never signed it. there were plenty of other options available. he could have paid the 99.00 upfront and gone with the DHA with no commit and no monthly promotional discounts, but all he saw was the free free free discount discount discount and went for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts