DISH dropped WBAY-TV (ABC in Green Bay)!!!!

pfan1981

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Green Bay, WI
Team,

Just wanted to express my disgust for no longer having WBAY-ABC out of Green Bay Wisconsin. I did not have any warning except a message on the bottom of the screen last night saying their broadcast on DISH will be ending at midnight December 10th.

Time Warner Cable lost WLUK-FOX for several weeks before they reached their contract agreement. They carry Green Bay Packer games, so you can imagine how people in Green Bay felt about no longer having these games.

Is this a normal thing to lose channels??? This whole concept is new to us in Northeast Wisconsin, but I imagine it's not to uncommon.

How long do these "holdouts" normally last??? I watch a decent number of programs on ABC. Also, they'll broadcast Packers Monday night games on ABC if you don't have ESPN (not really applicable in this case).

I am kinda freakin :eek: after seeing that message last night.

pfan

It is very normal on Dish, but it also happens at Directv,just not as often. Expect a long holdout. Some markets have never had all local channels.

How long do these "holdouts" normally last???

Well, in our case, when we lost our ABC affiliate (KLKN), it was 1-2 months before they got things sorted out. In this case, if you really want it, I'd look for a good antenna/installer and get that set up. I had that done when I started out and have been very pleased.

Of course, I still sent a nastygram to both Dish and the affiliate telling them to get the stuff together. I don't think it probably helped, but at least it made me feel better. :)

I personally have an antenna and love it :D My mother and sister rely on DISH for the locals and I'm mainly looking out for them. Could they call and get their bills lowered due to the lack of service?

This is an entire broadcasting group involved. Look at the WLNS thread here or yesterday's uplink thread in the uplink section for more details.

Sorry to say that these things can drag on for years.

I say get an antenna. WBAY and their broadcast group is completely at fault and is being unreasonable with what they are asking for rebroadcast pricing. They are being greedy, just like every other station that is financially hurting today. Do you want your Dish Network price to go up because of local stations like WBAY and their broadcast group?? I am GLAD Dish is holding out and I am glad Time Warner held out. If I were you, write a nice nasty letter to WBAY and complain. They are being the idiots in the whole deal.

By the way, Time Warner was so mad, they actually were giving away antennas during their hold-out!!! That's how bad the rebroadcast deal is.

I personally feel these are people looking to line their pockets. I agree they have bills to pay, but just like the BIG 3, you don't have to pay your CEO millions.

When will they figure out how to charge for an over the air signal????

pfan

It is very normal on Dish, but it also happens at Directv,just not as often. Expect a long holdout. Some markets have never had all local channels.
It does? I am not doubting you, I just don't remember this ever happening in the 10 years I have been with Direct (at least not in my area).

I remember ON TV TNGTony, Over the Air service which you had to use there antenna. I had it when I Lived in Calif, completely forgot about that service, that has been a good 25 to 30 years ago.

Must be an issue with Dish and ABC, they haven't had the local affiliate carried on the Locals here since I signed up years ago.
$$$, it's all about the money. :mad::mad:

so how do you get your abc down there??? Is everyone expected to have an OTA antenna? What would be the purpose of paying for locals, to have the guide info?

I'm disgusted with this.

pfan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts