Dish DVR512 recording to Dish DVR625

mickey53usa

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
Yes, we are talking old SD DVRs. Currently have a DVR512 that is making noise like a failing hard drive. Of course it has about 75 hours of shows on it. I am looking to purchase a DVR625 and would like to transfer the recordings from the 512 to the 625.
Now, I stay SD as I take the extra receiver (311) with me in the RV, which does not have an HD antenna, on top of that, SD is just fine for us - don't want to pay more for HD.
So, to the question - possible to move the recordings, or am I going to have to go through the pain of moving them all to DVD before I take the 512 out of service.
Thanks

Michael

Not sure if a external drive can be hooked up to a 512 or a 625. you could buy a 722/722k and not activate HD, then if you ever decide you want HD you will be ready. probably can be had for about the same money.

Just to be clear, HD does not cost more if you do autopay and paperless billing. Just don't want new people to think they have to pay more for HD.

And no, according to the DISH site, there is no way to transfer those programs since you can not use an external hard drive. As you said DVD is the only way.

Yep. DVD is the only realistic way.

Dishes are dishes. Each satellite can transmit SD and HD and if you're aimed at that sat, you can get both. Of course, SD & HD move around and you must have the correct LNB and an HD capable receiver. SD still has life left in it. Keep in mind, you can buy a ViP211 series receiver for about $100 and have SD & HD capability, and for the purchase of an EHD and one time $40 fee, it will be a DVR too.

Enjoy your 625.

Yes, we are talking old SD DVRs. Currently have a DVR512 that is making noise like a failing hard drive. Of course it has about 75 hours of shows on it. I am looking to purchase a DVR625 and would like to transfer the recordings from the 512 to the 625.
Now, I stay SD as I take the extra receiver (311) with me in the RV, which does not have an HD antenna, on top of that, SD is just fine for us - don't want to pay more for HD.
So, to the question - possible to move the recordings, or am I going to have to go through the pain of moving them all to DVD before I take the 512 out of service.
Thanks

Michael

You can upgrade your equipment to HD and still keep your 311 for the RV. If you do auto pay and paperless billing you wouldn't see any kind of increase in your bill. The only thing you would have to do is renew a 24 month contract.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)