Dish Earning Conf Call Monday 8/4/08

Verizon had a net increase of 176,000 FiOS TV subscribers, which was actually well below the pace that was predicted. However, the TV markets just opened in New York city so they should easily surpass adding another 500,000 customers from June-December.

AT&T reported addding 170,000 customers during 2Q

Revised Table:

Cablevision Add 260,000 video customers
AT&T Added 170,000 video (U-Verse) customers
Verizon Added 176,000 video (FiOS TV) customers
Comcast Add 320,000 Digital Video
Comcast Lost 138,000 Basic Video
Direct reports on 08/07
Echostar/DISH Lost 25,000

Not good for Dish Network...
Revised further:

Direct Added 129,000

Revised further:

Direct Added 129,000

So let's continue blaming the economy dish instead of looking at the real problem, The real problem is your business practices and the way you handle things. You dont have the packages that people want like Sunday Ticket, MLB, and continently drop channels with out no notification, example Goltv. ADD the HD everyone wants in Full Rez. Do you VOD like D* and Comcast. Then you would have a shot. Geeze Charlie Everyone can see it but you so damm blind and stubborn you wouldn't let us fix you unless you life depended on it. We are telling you what we want and all you care about is doing things the way you like and its tanking your company. Its time you get a set of fresh eyes in your group and let them run the show. :)

So let's continue blaming the economy dish instead of looking at the real problem, The real problem is your business practices and the way you handle things. You dont have the packages that people want like Sunday Ticket, MLB, and continently drop channels with out no notification, example Goltv. ADD the HD everyone wants in Full Rez. Do you VOD like D* and Comcast. Then you would have a shot. Geeze Charlie Everyone can see it but you so damm blind and stubborn you wouldn't let us fix you unless you life depended on it. We are telling you what we want and all you care about is doing things the way you like and its tanking your company. Its time you get a set of fresh eyes in your group and let them run the show. :)

If we still had the "Thank you" button I would press that. Goaliebob succinctly summarizes some of the main issues.

So much for the "economy" or even "piracy". Evidently those two things had no effect on D* actually ADDING 129,000 customers for the second quarter...

DirecTV Adds 129,000 Subs In Q2 - 8/7/2008 8:57:00 AM - Multichannel News

Interesting note in the article...Direct makes reference to "quality customers". I wonder if part of the problem, in addition to the wonderful points GB brought up, is the fact that E* needs to be a bit more selective in the qualifying criteria.

To think, that this was the first quarterly loss of subs ever reported by a DBS company and that I was part of it!

I went to D* for the better HD. I was thinking about it for a while, then when E* dropped VOOM, that pushed me over the edge.

I would think that I am one of D*'s new "quality customers" as I signed up for a $120/month package.

The only reason why I haven't jumped ship (as an installer AND customer) to Direct is due to the promise/hope of what the EA offers to potential customers.

EDIT: totally off-topic tangent...just noticed my post count is 4..5...6...7. Ok...at least I feel it's pretty cool. :)

Were any of you aware that Dish paid a dividend early in the year of $3.78 a share. That is about the highest dividend of any communications stock. What did DirecTV pay? Nothing!

If you are correct about this dividend payout it's great if you own 200 MILLION shares like the Ergen's do - or the vast amount of shares that all of the Senior Management Team owns.

Let's see - 200,000,000 times $3.78 a share. I figure that their dividend payout was $756,000,000 unless I am missing something. Please read page 10 of the following:
http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...19512B0DC07E/2007_NoticeandProxyStatement.pdf

I wouldn't say E* is tanking. They do have a lot of catching up to do but E* is healthy as a business, and if Charlie is right he will be back on top of things as he promised, and hopefully has new priorities this time. I don't even think a little contraction is a bad thing, as long as they can reduce the churn rate moving forward.

The problem is D* will not let up, Verizon and ATT are in full swings, the competitions are more fierce than ever.

Found this story interesting, especially if the two sections quoted are accurate, DISH Network Falls Off the Roof - Seeking Alpha

"A college student I know told me he and his buddies used DISH at school because they could cancel the service after three months and re-activate it under another roommate’s name. They never paid a dollar for the service and held it for the entire school year. Inevitably, they’d re-up every September when they arrived back on campus. This is a pretty common trick and it surely contributes to the near 2.0% churn that DISH now experiences."

and

"DISH Network has been trying to cope with the economic crisis by offering cheaper packages. In California, the state hit hardest by the sub-prime mortgage collapse, DISH offers 200 channels for only $29 a month, and even gives customers free hardware, free DVR, three months of free service and either a home theatre system or a free airline ticket."

"DISH Network has been trying to cope with the economic crisis by offering cheaper packages. In California, the state hit hardest by the sub-prime mortgage collapse, DISH offers 200 channels for only $29 a month, and even gives customers free hardware, free DVR, three months of free service and either a home theatre system or a free airline ticket."

I am in California were can I get that deal???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts