Dish Earning Conf Call Monday 8/4/08

If you do this won't they lock you into another 2 year contract? If so I think most would want to leave the door open to other options. It's like handcuffing yourself to a pole and throwing away the key while your on the Titanic.
Nope. I own my receivers, dishes, DP-34 switches, and was not under contract nor did I agree to any such terms. Thanks to HD-Lite, I simply had to walk away with a lot of freebies on the table.:(

Were any of you aware that Dish paid a dividend early in the year of $3.78 a share. That is about the highest dividend of any communications stock. What did DirecTV pay? Nothing!
Mr. Ergen is a heck of a businessman, no doubt. If I were an investor, I would be patting him on the back. However, if I were a customer I would have another opinion.

Being profitable is not directly tied to subscriber growth.

Monthly subscriptions make up most of Dish Network's cash flow, not new subs - they get all the breaks and we carry the load.

Dish article in Ny Post today

Im from Ny but live in south florida. I get the Ny Post delivered to me
everyday.

Today there is a large article telling of major loss of subs to dish netork.
It was a very interesting read.

I know this is not ''new'' news to some.

Charles Ergen stated that the decline in subs is due to our economy and competion from the likes of At@t, cable and direc tv.

The article also says that the erosion of sub base would have been more if not for Dishes partnership with At@t which is about to end.

Im surprised that Mr Ergen does not take any responsibilty for losing subs.
In the article he blames outsides sources except himself.

Very interesting.

If any of you can pick up the post or read it online, do it..
Newyorkpost.com

This was all discussed in the Earnings Call thread yesterday.

I think some bad decisions are now coming home but ATT is probably the biggest cause of the major loss reported this quarter. Last quarter ATT signed up over 100,000 new subs for Dish but this quarter they only signed up 3,000. OUCH!

This was all discussed in the Earnings Call thread yesterday.

I think some bad decisions are now coming home but ATT is probably the biggest cause of the major loss reported this quarter. Last quarter ATT signed up over 100,000 new subs for Dish but this quarter they only signed up 3,000. OUCH!

3000 from At@t wow..that i did not hear about. Im not sure why dish ownership has made the moves they have made? Plus lawsuits and sqables galore.

Maybe new leadership at dish could breath better air into the sat company.
Not sure how that would happen since Mr Ergen holds the reins so tightly.

Since my dealings with dish way back from the 90s till now have been sour to say the least.
The loss of the 15HD channels kind of killed the good will i had started to feel towards dish.

To me the one and only reason I still stay with dish is the best darn Dvr on the market.
I wish they had direcs dvr then i surely would be gone..lol

Yes the net Loss was only 25K but the big tell for me is the nearly 1 million that dropped the service! at 777K that's 8633 people a day canceling the service.!
I wonder how many of those 1 million were people who signed up and never paid their bill and were disconnected?
Or is that 1 million subscribers who were out fo their initial agreement and dropped service?

25,000 loss out of 13.8 million subs. thats like 0.2% isnt it?

seems like no big deal to me. like waves in the ocean - up and down a little. sometimes alot. whatever.

IT effects all future growth. IT is 25,000 this quarter , what will it be next? The reasons for the tide of churn? THE number one reason is DIRECTV and there 95 REAL hd channels. THat and the combined advertising by DIRECTV have killed DISH.

THe number two reason is all the channels that we continually lose to "negotiations for a better price" by CHARLIE. Look at the loss of GOL tv , & the locals in many markets that aren't added or taken down due to price according to CHARLIE. The loss of VOOM hd channels has caused many to churn, I fear too.

Then the negative press about CHarlie and the loss of the satellites like AMC 14 and the death of a recent one they tried to move. Charlie sat idly by for many months and refused to address the negative speculation by the media and on this board and others why they weren't adding more hd when DIRECTV already had them. THose months of silence spoke volumes for many. DISH looked like it was floundering or dead in the water , while DIRECTV was moving ahead and adding more hd and marketing it to anyone that could get regular mail or email in this country. THey advertised in volume on commerical tv using clever advertisements that used many a Hollywood star recreating their movie roles they were using as a back drop for their commericals. WHat did DISH do? Frank Caliando and his stupid impersonations of famous people that got DISH sued .

DISH has also let ever major sports pack slip through their fingers including many that they carried all along. All in the name of saving MONEY. How can DIRECTV do it when they are charging practically the same thing for thier programming packs as DISH? DISH has been focused for too long on FEES of all kinds to get their profit margins up , at the cost of many a subscriber. People do not want to be nickel and dimed to death in the name of PROFIT. Just look at all the pay per view prices now that DISH is charging and DIRECTV is not: 4.99 for sd /5.99 for hd /6.99 for hard drive recorded movies on video on demand.

MAybe Charlie should go ahead and sell out to DIRECTV . He looks to me like he has lost interest in running the DISH part of his empire anyway. I would hate to lose my 722 dvrs and the cutting edge technology that Echostar does have. But it would mean never having to lose another channel in the name of greed. But my fear is without any competition there would be no stopping price hikes anymore . Competition is good for the consumer and having both sat companies prodding each other on to do better is good for us , the subscriber of both sat companies. Cable is no real competition to either DISH or DIRECTV. I don't see them being a serious threat to either provider or to a combined provider. Where would the competition come from to keep innovation in new hd channels , receivers etc come from?

DISH SUBSCRIBERS FALL IN "DUH" FACTOR

Just saw the article below in the New York Times and on Bloomberg. Dish has lost 25,000 subscribers since it canceled VOOM. Charley is scratching his head and wondering why. The "DUH" factor here Charley is that when you acquired 44,
000 new subscribers from VOOM after the sat service failed you had an obligation to keep the trust of the VOOMERS. They are gone now after you canceled the single one reason they joined DISH. Sorry, Charley......only quality programming attracts viewers! You are also very very late in adding channels that other services already have. They got tired of your empty promises. Too little too late.

Here is the article:

The satellite television provider Dish Network reported a surprise quarterly decline in subscribers as it lost ground to cable and phone competitors amid a weaker economy, sending its shares down more than 3 percent.

Although the subscriber loss meant lower installation costs for Dish, which helped lift its second-quarter profit above Wall Street expectations, analysts said on Monday that the customer loss boded ill for the company’s growth prospects.

“This is not pretty. It’s the first ever loss of subscribers by a major satellite TV company,” said Craig E. Moffett, an analyst at Sanford C. Bernstein & Company. “Dish appears to have lost its mojo when it comes to attracting new customers.”

Dish, which is facing stiff competition from cable companies’ competitively priced bundles of video, phone and high-speed Internet service, said it lost a net 25,000 subscribers during the second quarter.

IT effects all future growth. IT is 25,000 this quarter , what will it be next? The reasons for the tide of churn? THE number one reason is DIRECTV and there 95 REAL hd channels. THat and the combined advertising by DIRECTV have killed DISH.

THe number two reason is all the channels that we continually lose to "negotiations for a better price" by CHARLIE. Look at the loss of GOL tv , & the locals in many markets that aren't added or taken down due to price according to CHARLIE. The loss of VOOM hd channels has caused many to churn, I fear too.

Then the negative press about CHarlie and the loss of the satellites like AMC 14 and the death of a recent one they tried to move. Charlie sat idly by for many months and refused to address the negative speculation by the media and on this board and others why they weren't adding more hd when DIRECTV already had them. THose months of silence spoke volumes for many. DISH looked like it was floundering or dead in the water , while DIRECTV was moving ahead and adding more hd and marketing it to anyone that could get regular mail or email in this country. THey advertised in volume on commerical tv using clever advertisements that used many a Hollywood star recreating their movie roles they were using as a back drop for their commericals. WHat did DISH do? Frank Caliando and his stupid impersonations of famous people that got DISH sued .

DISH has also let ever major sports pack slip through their fingers including many that they carried all along. All in the name of saving MONEY. How can DIRECTV do it when they are charging practically the same thing for thier programming packs as DISH? DISH has been focused for too long on FEES of all kinds to get their profit margins up , at the cost of many a subscriber. People do not want to be nickel and dimed to death in the name of PROFIT. Just look at all the pay per view prices now that DISH is charging and DIRECTV is not: 4.99 for sd /5.99 for hd /6.99 for hard drive recorded movies on video on demand.

MAybe Charlie should go ahead and sell out to DIRECTV . He looks to me like he has lost interest in running the DISH part of his empire anyway. I would hate to lose my 722 dvrs and the cutting edge technology that Echostar does have. But it would mean never having to lose another channel in the name of greed. But my fear is without any competition there would be no stopping price hikes anymore . Competition is good for the consumer and having both sat companies prodding each other on to do better is good for us , the subscriber of both sat companies. Cable is no real competition to either DISH or DIRECTV. I don't see them being a serious threat to either provider or to a combined provider. Where would the competition come from to keep innovation in new hd channels , receivers etc come from?
Comments like this bring an old saying to mind. "You want your cake and eat it too?" or "what will be, will be". Anyone think of others?

Looking at the numbers VOOM didn't really make a dent in anything as their churn rate didnt really move at all.
I don't think VOOM was a major factor in customer defections (30k tops), however Mr. Bernstein reported churn at Dish Network was up 15% this year and mentioned Mr. Ergen stood up a special retention unit to address the problem. I also believe the increase in churn was noted in E*'s 2Q report.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)