Dish Earnings Call Recap

I was paying $76.42 for a silver HD package and Top 250. On my latest bill they put a premium package charge of $23.32. They said it was a one time charge. I said I don't want Gold HD. I couldn't hear him well as I have a hearing impairment but from what I understood now my bill will be $81.97. I am so confused. I don't have any premium movie channels at all. This must be the price increase that u guys have been talking about or am I being screwed?

Kathy in Ames

Gold HD comes with AT250, period. You can't get silver HD with AT250. Fortunately, they are the same price: $10/month.

Not can you detail the other charge you are concerned about? The price increase is not until Feb.

Any basis for the possibility of delaying the transition? I haven't read any credible discussion on that possibility. It's gotta be locked in now, too much money tied in. Can't see how anyone would want to delay it, other than just to cause trouble.

detail charges

I'll try to write it down like they have it on the bill....

DishDVR Advantage. 49.99
2 Premium Package 20.00
Multi Sport 5.99
Dishhome prot.pcg. 5.99
Total 81.97

Partial Charges

2 Premium Package 23.32
SilverHD -11.66

Taxes 5.75

Total $99.38

I did get a new smartcard this week and put that in. :confused:

Smartcard probably has nothing to do with it. Somehow you are being charged for 2 premiums you are not getting. Time to play some CSR roulette. If there is no joy there, and email to ceo [at] echostar [dot] com might do trick.

I'll try to write it down like they have it on the bill....

DishDVR Advantage. 49.99
2 Premium Package 20.00
Multi Sport 5.99
Dishhome prot.pcg. 5.99
Total 81.97

Partial Charges

2 Premium Package 23.32
SilverHD -11.66

Taxes 5.75

Total $99.38

I did get a new smartcard this week and put that in. :confused:

I know this sounds crazy but the 250 package is considered a $10 "premium" over the 200 package. HD is another $10 premium.

"Charlie says that consumers are not spending the money on HD so not much as a drive there on the HD product, but they will continue to heavily market it."

Then why when they launched TurboHD they got so many calls for new service but they were not prepared and didn't have the equipment for new installations. He's contradicting himself launching a full HD campaign with TurboHD and now saying consumers don't want to spend the money. :(

I just don't see people spending any money on HD right now...

headupyourasska1.jpg

I was also surprised he said HD was not a driving force, maybe not for those that lost their homes. But DirecTV just gave all the credit to HD and DVR for their continued sub growth.

E* did add 875,000 new subs, not bad but it was the churn that was killing them, and I think a lot of it had to do with not focusing on keeping the subs who wanted HD and DVR.

Last edited:
I was also surprised he said HD was not a driving force, maybe not for those that lost their homes. But DirecTV just gave all the credit to HD and DVR for their continued sub growth.

E* did add 875,00 new subs, not bad but it was the churn that was killing them, and I think a lot of it had to do with not focusing on keeping the subs who wanted HD and DVR.

Yeah, like customers who want another HD receiver or the 4 leased receivers max per account.

Yeah, like customers who want another HD receiver or the 4 leased receivers max per account.

Are you saying most people do not need more than four tuners or are you agreeing with me?:)

I did learn that E* will lease up to 5 tuners now, can anyone confirm that?

BTW E* added 875,000 new subs, not 875,00:)

E* can last a long time continue to lose 10,000 per quarter, Comcast has been doing this for a very long time:)

Charlie says he hopes the next generation of Smart Cards will work and wont be cracked.
Charlie says they have another generation of security ready to go if this new security is broken.

It seems like Charlie is expecting the new card to get cracked in the future as it is just a matter of time.

Sort of like strapping on a jet fighter built by the lowest bidder? :)

LOL.. yeah... but it also tells me that my mindset and Dish's are not at all the same. I want the best pay TV system available period regardless of a few extra dollars here or there, while Dish wants to be cheap about things apparently.

I guess they want to be the Dollar General of pay TV. More power to them, but that's not what I'm looking for... :(

Charlie says he hopes the next generation of Smart Cards will work and wont be cracked.
Charlie says they have another generation of security ready to go if this new security is broken.

It seems like Charlie is expecting the new card to get cracked in the future as it is just a matter of time.

It's already been cracked. (oops?) And "ready to go" I'm just not touching...

Ladies and gents, I give you the CEO of DISH Network.

They say that poor management within companies needs to be fixed from the top down. So I guess Charlie's plan works (if you flip the world over...) Way to fire from the bottom Chuck! Show us how it's done!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts