This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dish Earnings Conference Call and reported HD Plans...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Couldn't agree more Scott, I was considering investing in a 921, as posted yesterday in another thread, but at this point if the format of transmission will change top MPEG4, what is the point in upgraing??

Scott Greczkowski said:
Dish needs to supply answers and it would be best for them to do it soon, the longer they go the more the speculation grows.

Yep. It would be really helpful to get a comment on all this from the E* engineering dept. They need to clarify what Charlie really meant by his statement's yesterday and in doing so hopefully provide some serious damage control.

NightRyder

If they (E*) don't come up with some kind of a statement, there will be a lot of defectors, with me leading them.

Scott Greczkowski said:
...considering what Mr Ergen said on the record yesterday.
Since when has he known what he is talking about....Just kidding
Scott Greczkowski said:
Dish needs to supply answers and it would be best for them to do it soon, the longer they go the more the speculation grows.
Agree wholeheartedly and say this in my rant.

Lets see a show of hands....Howmany people want me to send a link to this thread to a few key execs and the other charlie address?

nippjas said:
Lets see a show of hands....Howmany people want me to send a link to this thread to a few key execs and the other charlie address?

Aye.

NightRyder

Done, temporarily closing to prevent last minute bashers...will reopen in an hour or so.

Jason

Believe me, Dish Network is reading this thread, I just looked at the guests online and saw there were 7 folks from Echostar.COM just looking at this thread.

BTW I should note that last week I posted Jim Defranco's email address here to people to complaign to regarding the price drop from $999 to $549 and I understand that Dish is very upset at me for posting that information.

My reply to those folks who are mad at Dish is, you might want to get use to it. You MADE the problem you FIX the problem. If you don't like people complaigning directly to the management then use your brains and avoid doing crap like this.

I understand that Mr Defranco did not reply to most (if not all) of these consumer complaints, which kind of worries me as I thought Mr. Defranco valued his customers.

We are now 14,000 strong and growing every day, this site is NOT a support site for Dish Network, this is a support site for CONSUMERS with satellite issues.

If Dish Network does not like what we are doing they maybe they should look in he mirror as they are the ones causing all the problems.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Echostar employees...if you are trying to respond to this thread please email me the response at the company email address I sent original message from...I have locked this thread temporarily....I will make sure your unedited message makes it back to here.

Regards,
Jason

Just got an auto reply from Mr. Ergen...he is out of the office until November 15.

Ok guys we have talked about this a bit and will be reopening this for your comments (seeing we got no comments from Dish)

Again we urge all of our members to listen to yesterdays conference call and listen to what Charlie Says and make your OWN decission on what Charlies saying, do not let these posts here influence your own thought and opinions.

We have given Dish the opporutinity to reply and so far they have chosen not to, and we can't make them reply. The floor is always open for Dish to comment on things posted here, and the same goes for every satellite provider.

So everyone (pardon the pun) step up the the microphone and let your voice be heard.

Scott, with the amount of IP's present from the echostar domain right now don't you think it is fair to give them some time to respond? After all they are a large Corporation and they need to schedule a meeting in an available conference room, order bagels, maybe some Boston Market lunch, have their quorum, and formalize a response.

I recommend leaving thread closed until I get a formal response from them...The emails I have got pretty much ask for time. 30 minutes isn't enough.

Jason

I dont see any good in closing the thread for Dish to come up with an answer or reply. I would be shocked if we got anything at all.

This IS news and the users should be allowed to talk about it.

I will give Dish their own thread complete with Sticky so they can offer their statement, and I would also give Dish a standing ovation for addressing their customers concerns.

I guess my thoughts as an HD fan, and Dish subscriber is this: I understand the need for more capacity if we are to get more HD, and it not turn into an overcompressed mess that is no longer HD quality. I understand the fact that if this requires a new compression scheme (MPEG4) that testing will take time, and that new boxes could be required. My only hope would be that Dish would LET THE SUBSCRIBERS KNOW THIS UPFRONT! If we are buying equipment that will be useless in less than a year...let us know it NOW, and be honest about it. Dont blow smoke up our rearend, and leave us out here on the boards guessing all day (week, month, year) about it!

OK...enough of my dreaming...I'll go wake up now.

I have a feeling this is one reason why Dish is going to massive efforts to lease every new piece of equipment that comes out the door.

I sure hope microsoft doesn't get involved in this one.... It doesn't look good if MPEG-4 requires more horsepower than WMV9 does, that is for sure. Windows itself has overhead, and yes, the operating system does matter. Not with number crunching ability, but with the ability to do real time stuff. I don't think Windows or Linux are very good in that respect. Linux has a lot less overhead than windows though.

I think this depends on the scenario. The 921 is a consumer electronic device. What do you think is cheaper? A software download for the 921, or buying a PCI card upgrade for it for, say $100 - $200? Since it is for a satellite decode, you will probably need to buy two PCI cards to replace the old dual tuners. I would rather download an update than buy a couple new cards if they can find a workable solution that way. Think about the engineering side even, I doubt there are even 10,000 921s out there at this point. Let's say there are 5 to 10k units. With the 921 being discontinued, and that not everyone would upgrade their PCI cards, let's say they need to produce a run of 5000 cards x 2 per unit. With a volume of only 10k, and given a chip solution would be hot off the presses, the chip costs would be expensive. That upgrade would be expensive for such a small production run from an engineering and manufacturing standpoint.

I think a download would be cheaper than buying two cards. It is obviously cheaper for the consumer, and it may well be cheaper for Dish as well. It is not likely that they can do it, but if they can, it would be preferable.

I got to ask the folks at Dish many of the questions you have brought up here.

You can read more about it at http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=34716

I think to say that many (myself included) may have put the cart in front of the OX. Yes MPEG4 is coming, however Dish has no idea exactly how its all going to work yet. They are currently working on a bunch of technologies which we havenet even thought about yet.

Believe me when I tell you, that Dish has received your message loud and clear!

Thanks for being SatelliteGuys!

Every satellite provider has plans for MPEG-4 (ML for SD and HP for HD). They cannot afford not to given the strapped bandwidth they have.

It's just that there is no stable equipment, if at all, for realtime MPEG-4 HP encoding at the moment. I guess those encoder companies have plans to release something toward the end of 2005. That's why they all say it's in their plan, but at least a year away.

Hong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.