Irritating phone call to Dish support

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
as one that has lost a local channel due to the latest round of pricing, I called Dish support to ask a couple of questons.
I asked to be sent one of the ota dongles to be able to watch locals via antenna. I was promptly told that I did not
need the dongle because the HWS units have the tuner integrated into the unit. They went on to say that all I needed to do
was purchase an adapter to change antenna coax cable to usb and plug into the back of the receiver. I told them that was
incorrect, that a dongle was required. They continued to tell me that they had the HWS and that is all that they had to do to receive locals.
Instead of continuing the discussion, I asked a question regarding the hopper + and the wireless joey 4. After being placed on hold for
a long period of time, I was told that the only way to get the hopper + was to replace the HWS with a H3. Explained to the representative
that I did not to switch out to H3 and 4K Joey to replace the 2nd HWS. I have the 2nd HWS connected to a couple of tvs via cat5 cable
and can't do that with a joey. Also tried to correct them by telling them that I would want the Joey 4 units as they were the latest version.
Again, I was told that they were all the same. After that, I ended the conversation.

Is any of this story correct? I really would like to have the wireless Joey 4 unit but it seems impossible to get from Dish

• Wow
Reactions: charlesrshell
Currently, dual hopper setups are not supported with Android TV receivers (Hopper+, Wifi Joey 4, Joey 4).

Edit for clarity: multiple hopper 2/hopper 3 (and in turn multiple hopper+) setups are not supported.

Last edited:
Currently, dual hopper setups are not supported with Android TV receivers (Hopper+, Wifi Joey 4, Joey 4).
all I wanted was 1 hopper + in order to be able to get the wireless joey 4.
Can I not get the hopper + with a HWS? I thought I read on here somewhere that it would operate properly

what about the HWS not needing the ota dongle to receive local channels....is this true?

Can I not get the hopper + with a HWS? I thought I read on here somewhere that it would operate properly
It should, yes.
what about the HWS not needing the ota dongle to receive local channels....is this true?
No, it needs the dongle unless you sub to satellite-delivered locals.

I guess I misread your post - Hopper w/sling does support hopper+ but I would strongly suggest going to a hopper 3 if you're considering an android receiver.

From what I read on the forums, it was the VIP models that had the built in OTA tuner as the Hopper series always needed a external OTA adapter to receive OTA. The only thing the Hopper with Sling had that the Hopper with Sling and later models being the Hopper 3 had that the models prior to the HWS did not have including the original Hopper 2000 is the Sling as in DISHAnywhere is built-in since on the Hopper 2000, one needed a external DISH Sling adapter which is also supposedly available for the VIP series as well when I just did a google search on it.

From what I read on the forums, it was the VIP models that had the built in OTA tuner as the Hopper series always needed a external OTA adapter to receive OTA. The only thing the Hopper with Sling had that the Hopper with Sling and later models being the Hopper 3 had that the models prior to the HWS did not have including the original Hopper 2000 is the Sling as in DISHAnywhere is built-in since on the Hopper 2000, one needed a external DISH Sling adapter which is also supposedly available for the VIP series as well when I just did a google search on it.

The VIP211z required the dongle. I had one, but it was pretty much junk. Not sure about the other VIP models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies
I knew they were wrong regarding the dongle.
Any suggestions on who to call to get the hopper + and wireless joey 4. If they would allow 2 hopper 3, I would do the upgrade

Thanks for the replies
I knew they were wrong regarding the dongle.
Any suggestions on who to call to get the hopper + and wireless joey 4. If they would allow 2 hopper 3, I would do the upgrade
You will not get the Hopper+ with 2 Hopper 3s. That's the rules and they will not bend that rule.

Yes, you can get the Hop+ with a HWS, but we have more issues with that setup than we do on a Hopper 3.

All I want is the wireless joey 4. I could care less about the hopper+, but the only way to get it is with hopper + apparently.
Or buy one from Solid Signal. Ive considered, but I want nothing to do with no Dolby Vision Android!

Reactions: HipKat