DISH eastern/western arc install issue

That install should not have taken place unless the customer clearly agreed to not getting locals in HD. Even at that, if there is another reasonable way to do the install and get them in HD that should have been done. The need to call a supervisor to do it is a completely reasonable thing to expect. I would have told them to take it all away if they can't give me what I am supposed to get even if you signed unless that paperwork said there was no HD locals.
I agree with you, except the contract wouldn't have to call for it. No channel is guaranteed let alone guaranteed in HD

In this case it isn't a matter of it not being guaranteed. If my locals are available in HD, and the DISH can be mounted securely on the house to get it my position is DISH is obligated to do that unless it truly is not safe to do so or I am advised of the situation and agree to no HD locals. (Very steep, can't be accessed, rotted roof, etc etc) Not calling the Supervisor or him not coming out before the work is signed isn't a reason.

Reactions: Troch77
In this case it isn't a matter of it not being guaranteed. If my locals are available in HD, and the DISH can be mounted securely on the house to get it my position is DISH is obligated to do that unless it truly is not safe to do so or I am advised of the situation and agree to no HD locals. (Very steep, can't be accessed, rotted roof, etc etc) Not calling the Supervisor or him not coming out before the work is signed isn't a reason.
I disagree. Here's an example.
I had a work order. I installed the system as listed on said work order.
When I called into activation, and got my part done, the CSR as was customary, asked to speak ot the customer. The CSR went into FAR more detail than was necessary including the always aggravating upsell part of the script. It was at this juncture the wheels came off. Seems the CSR told my custy that "the tech SHOULD HAVE installed a dish and receivers that allowed the reception of HD programming.
Mind you. Before the custy got on the phone with the CSR he was thrilled with everything. Afterward, he was really pissed off. Not at me per se. Although he initially grilled me for a moment. Anyway, The CSR wanted me on the phone and I told the custy to hang up. and that if he wanted HD programming, he could simply order it and another tech would come out and install the desired equipment. I also explained that we were obligated to install the equipment listed on the work order. And that was the equipment that was on my truck.....Well, while this was going an unusual thing happened. The CSR CALLED BACK....The custy who was now all set, says the guys is basically demanding to speak to me.
I take the phone and excuse myself outside the house.
I proceeded to let this guy have it. First I told him he pissed off my customer with his stupid insisting he listen to the entire upsell script of which the customer had NO interest. Then I let him know he was way out of line making any accusations against me and that I was going to do what I could to get him fired. And yes, I had already spoken to my supervisor and asked him to put notes of the incident and to describe my customer's obvious angst over what the CSR said to him.
The CSR could not get in a word edgewise. I basically told him 'you listen while I talk". I told him we were not having a discussion. Basically to shut up and listen. Finally the jerk just hung up on me.
Well we got the install of the new equipment all set up for the customer. I even got it expedited to the next day so i could do it myself.
Now, sure as the sun rises, when I got to the office the next day, my supervisor wants to talk to me. He shows me the note this whiny little bastard CSR entered. Get this "Tech threatened CSR".....
He asks me what I said... I told him I would had reported his poor conduct and that he made the customer mad. I left out the part where I said I would try to get him fired. LOL.....Anyway... I did not appreciate the accusation. And I do not believe in this case the tech did anything wrong. In fact, he got the thing installed. It can be fixed later on...No big deal.

To summarize...The reason I got out of this business is because of crap like this.
I got sick and tired of the techs in one instance not even getting so much as a thank you for doing a good job then when the slightest little thing went sideways we were suddenly public enemy number one.
I worked very hard to improve and perfect my customer service skills. I became the tech that the newbies went to so they could learn the job.
I never had much negative feedback.
However when I see things like this and comments accusing the tech of deliberately trying to deceive or that he is lazy or whatever I get a little pissed off.
And at the end of the day, without people to install and service the systems, the customers are doing it themselves.
Let's see how that works out.
BTW, I am not naive. I know there are lots of hacks out there that do crappy work.

I disagree. Here's an example.
I had a work order. I installed the system as listed on said work order.
When I called into activation, and got my part done, the CSR as was customary, asked to speak ot the customer. The CSR went into FAR more detail than was necessary including the always aggravating upsell part of the script. It was at this juncture the wheels came off. Seems the CSR told my custy that "the tech SHOULD HAVE installed a dish and receivers that allowed the reception of HD programming.
Mind you. Before the custy got on the phone with the CSR he was thrilled with everything. Afterward, he was really pissed off. Not at me per se. Although he initially grilled me for a moment. Anyway, The CSR wanted me on the phone and I told the custy to hang up. and that if he wanted HD programming, he could simply order it and another tech would come out and install the desired equipment. I also explained that we were obligated to install the equipment listed on the work order. And that was the equipment that was on my truck.....Well, while this was going an unusual thing happened. The CSR CALLED BACK....The custy who was now all set, says the guys is basically demanding to speak to me.
I take the phone and excuse myself outside the house.
I proceeded to let this guy have it. First I told him he pissed off my customer with his stupid insisting he listen to the entire upsell script of which the customer had NO interest. Then I let him know he was way out of line making any accusations against me and that I was going to do what I could to get him fired. And yes, I had already spoken to my supervisor and asked him to put notes of the incident and to describe my customer's obvious angst over what the CSR said to him.
The CSR could not get in a word edgewise. I basically told him 'you listen while I talk". I told him we were not having a discussion. Basically to shut up and listen. Finally the jerk just hung up on me.
Well we got the install of the new equipment all set up for the customer. I even got it expedited to the next day so i could do it myself.
Now, sure as the sun rises, when I got to the office the next day, my supervisor wants to talk to me. He shows me the note this whiny little bastard CSR entered. Get this "Tech threatened CSR".....
He asks me what I said... I told him I would had reported his poor conduct and that he made the customer mad. I left out the part where I said I would try to get him fired. LOL.....Anyway... I did not appreciate the accusation. And I do not believe in this case the tech did anything wrong. In fact, he got the thing installed. It can be fixed later on...No big deal.
So, just from what I read in this... The CSRs have to insist on a absolute up sell every call. That is in the rules. The only time that is not performed is when it cannot logistically be done. Those situations, per their guidelines are rare. It has been that way since 2012. The other part, the customer was satisfied with the install before he knew he wasn't gett HD? So to prevent a callback and a pissed customer with bad PR and a charge to him after the fact, HD was mentioned. Sounds more like excellent customer service on that regard. I don't know about what he said to the customer, so it is possible he stepped over the line, I'm not disputing that. Also, you stepped over the line with the way you spoke to him. From your own description, that was not respectful, and not professional. Whether he was an a$$hole or not, you should have maintained the same level of professionalism as with a customer. That was just bad business. Basically it sounds like both sides were guilty in this situation, and could have been avoided by just arranging what you offered with the expedited appt. That was a good move on your part, and white admirable.

To summarize...The reason I got out of this business is because of crap like this.
Probably a good thing.:biggrin
Don't know why anyone would want to be in the satellite install business these days.
When I started installing in 95 we pretty much answered to no one, and could charge what we wanted because it was all considered custom work, (mostly rich people back then who wanted everything fished) and made the bulk of my money installing OTA antennas as locals were not available. Good times. So good I left my HVAC job.
After the "F" and "H" cards were compromised it was really on.:eek:.....Good times!

So, just from what I read in this... The CSRs have to insist on a absolute up sell every call. That is in the rules. The only time that is not performed is when it cannot logistically be done. Those situations, per their guidelines are rare. It has been that way since 2012. The other part, the customer was satisfied with the install before he knew he wasn't gett HD? So to prevent a callback and a pissed customer with bad PR and a charge to him after the fact, HD was mentioned. Sounds more like excellent customer service on that regard. I don't know about what he said to the customer, so it is possible he stepped over the line, I'm not disputing that. Also, you stepped over the line with the way you spoke to him. From your own description, that was not respectful, and not professional. Whether he was an a$$hole or not, you should have maintained the same level of professionalism as with a customer. That was just bad business. Basically it sounds like both sides were guilty in this situation, and could have been avoided by just arranging what you offered with the expedited appt. That was a good move on your part, and white admirable.

It seems to me that the "up sell" should have been done before the installation by the original sales person. However, the purpose of the original sell was to get the customer committed, even with a substandard package (no HD). So, the installer goes out and does his job then gets stuck between the original sell and the "up sell".

I agree that each company representative could have behaved differently.

I don't think that changes anything for me for the OP. Locals are included in all packages in HD. If you are saying in your case the customer was set-up with SD equipment obviously a different story. But if HD equipment is being installed locals in HD should be unless it just is not possible, but even then the customer should be told they won't be. I honestly can't believe in today's world if HD locals can be obtained how an installer would simply decide it's too much work to get them for an HD equipment customer. Now an unsafe install is a completely different scenario, but again the customer should be told before the install.
If your installation was with SD equipment I don't see how the CSR had any business trying to change the complete installation...

It seems to me that the "up sell" should have been done before the installation by the original sales person. However, the purpose of the original sell was to get the customer committed, even with a substandard package (no HD). So, the installer goes out and does his job then gets stuck between the original sell and the "up sell".

I agree that each company representative could have behaved differently.
To be honest, I never agreed with the aggressive up sell attitude form corporate. They designated an executive position for an upsell manager. There is a time and place, in my opinion. They want as close to 100% of calls with atleast 2 upsell attempts, if the first one is not accepted. Stupid rule, but they were doing their job. That is why it was out of line to go off on a CSR if you're a tech, for doing what the corporate office requires them to do.

Ok./ Point taken. In the interest of brevity I left something out..The customer first asked, then told the CSR he was not interested in any upgraded programming. As the call progressed, I could see the custy was becoming agitated.
And once again. The CSR was not "inquiring" about HD. He flat out told the customer that ( despite the fact I had an authenticated work order with precisely what the customer ordered...I knew this because I always check and confirm before starting work) I SHOULD have installed an HD capable system....For which I was not equipped that day....BTW, this was well before 2012. It was when just a small percentage of systems installed were HD. Heck, they were still selling 311's 322's 510's and 522's...Let me say this....My customers always came first with me. And that included making sure they were pleased with the entire process. That included keeping them from getting from getting bombarded by a lot of aggravating questions from CSR's....Too many times, CSR's would absolutely infuriate the customer. In fact, we got so frustrated with them, whenever there was a problem with programming or equipment on the work order or a discrepancy in pricing from a third party retailer, we would call our office instead of Dish in order to attempt to save the job.
Trsut me when I say this. Due to the CSR's insistence on keeping an agitated customer on the phone he almost was ready to have me remove the equipment. He was not happy.

To be honest, I never agreed with the aggressive up sell attitude form corporate. They designated an executive position for an upsell manager. There is a time and place, in my opinion. They want as close to 100% of calls with atleast 2 upsell attempts, if the first one is not accepted. Stupid rule, but they were doing their job. That is why it was out of line to go off on a CSR if you're a tech, for doing what the corporate office requires them to do.
I understand policy. However, anyone with half a brain should know that "I'm not interested" is unambiguous. And time to back off.
The CSR that allows the script to take precedence over a customer's wish to not be asked about upgrades any further, is a weak CSR and should not be dealing with the public.

Reactions: Troch77
Probably a good thing.:biggrin
Don't know why anyone would want to be in the satellite install business these days.
When I started installing in 95 we pretty much answered to no one, and could charge what we wanted because it was all considered custom work, (mostly rich people back then who wanted everything fished) and made the bulk of my money installing OTA antennas as locals were not available. Good times. So good I left my HVAC job.
After the "F" and "H" cards were compromised it was really on.:eek:.....Good times!
When I started in 1998, our work was generated from cash and carry sales. When we arrived at the job, the equipment was there. We installed it, collected any additional fees for custom work, got the paperwork signed and that was it.
It was a fun job. Fun because the customers had already been sold equipment and programming. And were already made familiar with the basic functions of the equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)