Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH Expands Amazon Alexa Voice Control Support to Hopper ‘Joey’ Clients for Whole-Home, Hands-Free TV
Release Date:
Wednesday, October 25, 2017 7:04 am MDT
Terms:
Dateline City:
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.
• First pay-TV provider to offer whole-home Alexa experience

• Amazon Echo devices now pair with DISH Joey clients for Hands-Free TV in multiple rooms; builds on Hopper and Wally Alexa support announced April 2017

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DISH today unveiled Hands-Free TV™ for the entire home by extending its support of Amazon Alexa voice control to all Joey clients. Now, DISH customers can ask Alexa to control all TVs in the Hopper whole-home ecosystem by pairing each set-top box with an Amazon Echo, Echo Show or Echo Dot. In April 2017, DISH became the first pay-TV provider to natively integrate Alexa voice control when it enabled compatibility on its Hopper DVR and Wally single-tuner HD receiver.

When connected to a Hopper, DISH’s Joey clients extend Hopper functionality to other rooms in the home. Hopper 3 supports up to six Joeys simultaneously, while previous Hopper generations support up to three Joeys.

“DISH is again championing TV voice control, this time by extending our Alexa compatibility to create a more fully-integrated experience throughout the home,” said Niraj Desai, DISH vice president of product management. “Our customers now have the freedom to ask Alexa for help finding shows and movies in every room where their families enjoy watching TV.”

With today’s announcement, DISH’s list of Alexa-compatible products includes Hopper (all generations) and its Joey, Wireless Joey, 4K Joey and Super Joey clients, as well as DISH’s Wally single-tuner HD receiver. To enable Alexa voice control, each DISH set-top box must be paired with its own Echo device.

Ask Alexa for Hands-Free TV on DISH

Available voice control functions across compatible DISH set-top boxes include the ability to navigate, play, pause, fast-forward, rewind and search content based on channel, title, actor or genre. Universal search functionality works across DISH’s live, recorded and on-demand titles as well as Netflix’s selection of TV shows and movies. Example commands include:

• “Alexa, change channel to TNT”

• “Alexa, search for dramas”

• “Alexa, tune to channel 120”

• “Alexa, play This is Us”

• “Alexa, go to Discovery Channel”

• “Alexa, skip forward”

• “Alexa, find The Voice”

• “Alexa, rewind 15 seconds”

• “Alexa, search for House Hunters”

• “Alexa, pause”

• “Alexa, show me Will Smith movies”

• “Alexa, resume”

How to set-up Alexa on DISH

1. Enable DISH TV in the Alexa app: Open the Alexa app on a mobile device and select Music, Video & Books ? DISH TV ? Enable. If the DISH TV skill is already enabled from previous use, select Settings ? Manage in TV and Video ? Manage and Link Devices from the Alexa app, and proceed to step 3.
  2. Get receiver code: Turn on internet-connected Hopper or Wally, and go to Menu ? Settings ? Amazon Alexa ? Get Code. Enter the generated code into the Alexa app and select Activate. Click Done in the confirmation message.
  3. Pair set-top box with Amazon Echo, Echo Show or Echo Dot: In the Alexa app, select desired Hopper, Wally or Joey receiver from list of discoverable devices. Click Continue. Select Echo device to be synced with chosen receiver. Click Link Devices. Repeat this step for all set-top boxes to be paired with Echo devices.
For more information about Alexa on DISH, including possible commands and additional set-up instructions, visit www.dish.com/AmazonAlexaIntegration.

one thing DISH needs to do is update to allow skipping ahead more than 3 minute per request because some channels have 5 minute or longer breaks. (SYFY)
I wish the skip ahead was adjustable. When I was with Charter they had a Moxi DVR and the Skip Forward was adjustable. I use to have it set for six minute skip.

I wish the skip ahead was adjustable. When I was with Charter they had a Moxi DVR and the Skip Forward was adjustable. I use to have it set for six minute skip.
The problem with that is what I notice a lot is in the beginning of most shows the breaks might be about 3 to 4 min and towards the end is when they get to be six or more.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The problem with that is what I notice a lot is in the beginning of most shows the breaks might be about 3 to 4 min and towards the end is when they get to be six or more.
Yep, back then the shows and commercials were spaced a little different. Now days they can be all over the place.

So basically this announcement is to make it official that Alexa support now works on Wally, 4K Joey, Joey and Super Joey? Didn't all the mentioned voice commands already work before?
I am thinking of getting an Alexa product. Wonder what most folks are getting! When I took a look at Amazon there is six products. Do all of them work the Hopper/Joeys?

Amazon product ASIN B015TJD0Y4

I am thinking of getting an Alexa product. Wonder what most folks are getting! When I took a look at Amazon there is six products. Do all of them work the Hopper/Joeys?

I have 2 echo dots. One in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. The bedroom Dot controls my 4K Joey, the kitchen Dot controls my H3. Don't waste your money on the Echo. You can usually find Dots on sale for $40 or less, and if you need better stereo sound, stick the Dot inside a Vaux Speaker. Both my dots are in Vaux speakers and they work great and it adds battery portability to the Dot.

I have 2 echo dots. One in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. The bedroom Dot controls my 4K Joey, the kitchen Dot controls my H3. Don't waste your money on the Echo. You can usually find Dots on sale for $40 or less, and if you need better stereo sound, stick the Dot inside a Vaux Speaker. Both my dots are in Vaux speakers and they work great and it adds battery portability to the Dot.
Thanks

With one exception all the devices work about in the same way with the same functions, of course those with screens do more.
I happen not to want or need anything with a screen like the the Show and new Echo Spot. But those are the two devices with a screen. But be aware Google has pulled the use of Youtube from Amazon devices.

There is now the new and old Echo. The older one is taller with a built in speaker sounds pretty good and costs around $159 or more. The newer Echo is shorter with a better sounding speaker and costs much less around $99. I would not ignore that one depending on your needs.

There is the DOT, which is a hocky puck looking device and costs something like 1/2 the cost of a new Echo. But it has a tiny speaker because the real use is meant to connect to a bluetooth speaker or directly plugged into a speaker system. There is one downside in that for some functions bluetooth connections are not supported so the DOT will use it's small internal speaker but for most things bluetooth works very well. The built in speaker is ok for bedside use not for actually listening to much music.

There is the TAP. That one does not do quite all the functions/commands of the others. It can run on battery (The Echo and DOT can be made to with non Amazon add ons) You tap it then ask it to do things. It was designed to be portable and running on batteries it won't last long if it has to listen waiting for your voice. But it can be plugged in and Amazon did add the function of being able to use only voice and not the need to tap it.

A great new addition if you have a SiriusXM subscription is being to access it from Alexa directly. Now that Amazon has added group play, meaning you can play the same stream to all Echo device in your home more people buy more than one device. That's where you might use the Echo in the room where you most listen to music and put a DOT or two in other rooms.

With one exception all the devices work about in the same way with the same functions, of course those with screens do more.
I happen not to want or need anything with a screen like the the Show and new Echo Spot. But those are the two devices with a screen. But be aware Google has pulled the use of Youtube from Amazon devices.

There is now the new and old Echo. The older one is taller with a built in speaker sounds pretty good and costs around $159 or more. The newer Echo is shorter with a better sounding speaker and costs much less around $99. I would not ignore that one depending on your needs.

There is the DOT, which is a hocky puck looking device and costs something like 1/2 the cost of a new Echo. But it has a tiny speaker because the real use is meant to connect to a bluetooth speaker or directly plugged into a speaker system. There is one downside in that for some functions bluetooth connections are not supported so the DOT will use it's small internal speaker but for most things bluetooth works very well. The built in speaker is ok for bedside use not for actually listening to much music.

There is the TAP. That one does not do quite all the functions/commands of the others. It can run on battery (The Echo and DOT can be made to with non Amazon add ons) You tap it then ask it to do things. It was designed to be portable and running on batteries it won't last long if it has to listen waiting for your voice. But it can be plugged in and Amazon did add the function of being able to use only voice and not the need to tap it.

A great new addition if you have a SiriusXM subscription is being to access it from Alexa directly.
Thanks

Why does the DOT need speakers? I just want voice commands control my Hopper and nothing else. If it needs speakers can the USB be plugged into my TV's USB post and use the TVs speakers?

Why does the DOT need speakers? I just want voice commands control my Hopper and nothing else. If it needs speakers can the USB be plugged into my TV's USB post and use the TVs speakers?

It doesn't NEED speakers. I was just suggesting the Vaux speaker if you plan to listen to music on the Dot. Otherwise, the Dot's built-in mic and speaker are find for voice commands.

It doesn't NEED speakers. I was just suggesting the Vaux speaker if you plan to listen to music on the Dot. Otherwise, the Dot's built-in mic and speaker are find for voice commands.
OK, thanks for the info. But do you think the internal TV speakers would work? Does Alexa talk back at you, like maybe says wrong command or something like that?

Well, Dish could implement a system similar to Tivo, which allows you to skip an entire commercial break with a single button push and then add a voice command for Alexa. Tivo's litigious ways notwithstanding, of course. :)

OK, thanks for the info. But do you think the internal TV speakers would work? Does Alexa talk back at you, like maybe says wrong command or something like that?

If you put it close to your TV, you can run an 1/8" stereo aux cable from the Dot to your TV. The built-in speaker on the Dot is OK, but it's "tinny" sounding; not really good as a bluetooth speaker for music or anything.