Dish Explorer App Update - Interesting New Hopper Feature

DustoMan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 9, 2010
Sparta, Wisconsin, United States
So the Dish Explorer app was updated recently to version 1.6 and with it an interesting new feature. The ability for the Hopper to turn your TV on and off and change the volume.

What's New in Version 1.6

- Personalized recommendations
- TV Volume control**
- Turn On/Off TV**
- Bug Fixes

**The front panel of Hopper should not be obstructed. (e.g. in closed cabinet or in another room) Hopper remote must be programmed to TV to check this go to Menu>Settings>Remote Manager and check for a TV code, if not present or if incorrect, click the TV code button and set up the remote.

So how is the Hopper doing this? Does it have it's own IR blaster? If it was doing this via CEC then they wouldn't have the note about making sure the Hopper's front panel wasn't obstructed.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dish-explorer/id583546028?mt=8

So the Dish Explorer app was updated recently to version 1.6 and with it an interesting new feature. The ability for the Hopper to turn your TV on and off and change the volume.

So how is the Hopper doing this? Does it have it's own IR blaster? If it was doing this via CEC then they wouldn't have the note about making sure the Hopper's front panel wasn't obstructed.

It's not surprising that it would as every previous DISH receiver has had an IR blaster built in.

Doesn't make sense for the Hopper to have an IR blaster because IR is pretty much line-of-site. Except for the ability for some surfaces to actually reflect the IR signal. So, if the Hopper is not physically facing the TV (which in most cases it won't) then it will not work. What I think is happening since the remote has to be set to control the TV then they are probably sending UHF signals to the remote from the Hopper and the remote is sending the IR signals out to the TV. The remote should be pointing at the TV then. We all know that the Hopper has 2-way communication with the remote.

But that doesn't explain why you need the front of the Hopper clear (unless that's just a generic statement). iPads do not have built in IR transmit capability so that's not controlling the volume of the TV.

Doesn't make sense for the Hopper to have an IR blaster because IR is pretty much line-of-site.
Not anymore, take a look at the XBOX ONE. The IR blasters are so powerful now that in most situations the IR bounces off of things.

I have been surprised how well the IR blasting works now, when before I was like you in saying it needed to be line of site.

With that said I haven't played with this new feature on the Hopper, but plan to tonight. :D

You are of course correct on line of sight, but it's not all or nothing. As three examples;

The IR "blaster" cables that come with the Slingbox work without being pointed directly at the item to be controlled. They have a curve that literally makes the signal more encompass the area rather line more of a straight line. There are limits - it may not work in a big room, but if there is anything the signal can be bounced off of even a ceiling I have found the signal will reach even if facing away. I would agree it may not be as reliable all the time as direct line of sight.

Second, satellite is direct line of sight, however I can use the indoor Sirius/XM antenna pointed to the roof (no skylight) and get the signal with little or no problem. Some construction might not allow that to work but most homes would.

My Harmony remote can be facing wherever I happen to hold it and it will change my Dish Receiver.

You are of course correct on line of sight, but it's not all or nothing. As three examples;

The IR "blaster" cables that come with the Slingbox work without being pointed directly at the item to be controlled. They have a curve that literally makes the signal more encompass the area rather line more of a straight line. There are limits - it may not work in a big room, but if there is anything the signal can be bounced off of even a ceiling I have found the signal will reach even if facing away. I would agree it may not be as reliable all the time as direct line of sight.

Second, satellite is direct line of sight, however I can use the indoor Sirius/XM antenna pointed to the roof (no skylight) and get the signal with little or no problem. Some construction might not allow that to work but most homes would.

My Harmony remote can be facing wherever I happen to hold it and it will change my Dish Receiver.
My Slingbox 500 works great without even connecting IR blaster cable.

Well then. I guess I learned something new today. Unfortunately for us we have a 1st gen iPad so we can't update to iOS 7 like the app requires. So everyone else, enjoy! Wonder if you can use this app as a way to address some of the shortcomings of the Hopper itself. Like being able to use the iPad keyboard for searching and also viewing recordings on your Hopper. Like the Sling app.

Guess they invested more time into this app to control the TV on/off instead of fixing what they broke on the HDMI control for the Hopper. :D

Hopper doesn't have an IR blaster. The TV controls would be via HDMI-CEC.

Really wish the new apps didn't require iOS 7. Time to update my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S to 7.0.4 so I can jailbreak.

I've got HDMI-CEC disabled on my Hopper and Dish Explorer is able to turn my Hopper and TV on on and off. It also turns one of my Joeys and its TV on and off. I can get it turn my 2nd Joey on and off but it is not doing anything with the TV....

I've got HDMI-CEC disabled on my Hopper and Dish Explorer is able to turn my Hopper and TV on on and off. It also turns one of my Joeys and its TV on and off. I can get it turn my 2nd Joey on and off but it is not doing anything with the TV....

The setting probably just disables the CEC functions while you're in front of the TV but not necessarily from the app.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

What is Dish Explorer?

The setting probably just disables the CEC functions while you're in front of the TV but not necessarily from the app.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I have to turn on the Hopper and the TV individually. It has nothing to do with HDMI-CEC..

My original 301 would bounce an IR signal off the far wall. But my far wall was too far, so I'd hand a pillowcase off the ceiling fan blades. Then it worked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)