DISH Fails EAS Test? No Perhaps the EAS Test Fails DISH!

Had on NFLN on one TV, local NBC on the other, and neither had the EAS go off. Also, my weather radio is set to go off with an EAS activation, and it did not go off either. I think it was a system failure, not a provider failure.

NWS was not part of this test.

The test was to "identify weaknesses" in the system. No fines--this time. If it is received and not broadcast next time, watch out! Especially since the FCC can't use their standby-since-Janet-Jackson way to make money after the courts ruled against them.

Well I am hearing from DISH the alert never went off on DISH because they never got the Emergency Alert Signal. Seems as though the entire EAS system uses relays and when one goes out the other systems down the line don't repeat the signal. That's why the EAS didn't go off on DISH.

You can read more about what happened at Emergency Alert System to Be Tested Across the Country's TVs and Radios - NYTimes.com

Actually thinking back DIRECTV kind of cheated a bit on their EAS broadcast, as they switched to a slate about 30 seconds before the actual EAS went off. If it worked like it was supposed to the alert was to kick in when the alert went off. So they kind of jumped the gun there a few moments early. In addition DIRECTV never seemed to have got the audio, instead they played Lady Gaga... so almost looks like they never got the audio feed as well.

You would think that Dish / Direct would be added in to be higher up on the list (not quite the primary access point), but high enough to remove many of these issues.

My first thought is "Just use Dish / Direct as primary sources, let everyone pick up off of them". The giant problems with that, namely the biggest ones are the "unreliability" of satellites / vulnerability to EMP.

Something I just thought of is that E should just have the units that pick up OTA to trigger the alert in the unit it self. Then the TV would just switch to the local OTA for the majority of the units out there.

Who knew DISH could kill you! Had this been an actual emergency like a dirty bomb in your area, you would be dead because you wouldn't be informed while the wife watches the Real B******* of Beverly Hills (or me watching JoePa's resignation news on ESPN today during the test time where I got to see the whole report rather than it cut out like it should have).

I'm surprised it even took this long for a national EMS test. You'd think with technology (and especially if DISH took a leadership role), DISH would be able to put local warnings about tornados, earthquakes, winter storm warnings, severe thunderstorms, etc. on all the channels (local carriage and national channels) in a DMA where the local warning applied and not just have to figure out how to do it on a national scale.

I hope there are more tests - get the national EAS squared away on ALL channels and then work towards local EAS.

Something I just thought of is that E should just have the units that pick up OTA to trigger the alert in the unit it self. Then the TV would just switch to the local OTA for the majority of the units out there.
What about the other 75-80% then ? The # of people with OTA tied into their Dish receivers is really, really small. Don't base how many it seems like use it based on users here...

What about the other 75-80% then ? The # of people with OTA tied into their Dish receivers is really, really small. Don't base how many it seems like use it based on users here...
As E* moves forward replacing the old receivers then it would be more possible. Yes there will always be some that can't receive OTA but that will be a minority of the over all. This is just something that was a thought that came to me after the failed test.

This Week in Radio Tech devoted most of last night's episode to EAS- How their stations handled it. What might have gone wrong. Why the failure might have happened. And speculated on how the system can be/will be improved. They said that the entire state of Oregon didn't get the signal because the area is served by a single relay that didn't get the signal. They also commented on how awful the audio quality of the alert message was. Overall the host was really embarrassed on how badly the test went. Really interesting hour, but the recorded audio/video hasn't been posted to their TWiT page yet. I swear I've never heard the phrase "duck fart" used in serious conversation so many times in one hour!

Yes there will always be some that can't receive OTA but that will be a minority of the over all.
"Can" receive OTA and actually hook up an antenna to their OTA-capable receiver are two vastly different things. Dish CANNOT assure or assume people have it connected to an antenna that they'll rely on for EAS. They can be reasonably certain that people will be connected via satellite though...

Update received this morning on the problems. Looks like FEMA screwed the pooch.
The regional PEP station didn't receive it from FEMA, so nothing aired in New Mexico; this seems to be the case for a lot of stations in the Western and Southwestern US. The PEP station is doing an RMT today as a backup to ensure our in-state connectivity is still working. As the state EAS Chair, I'm going to have a busy month following up on this.

Mike Snyder, KNME-TV

As E* moves forward replacing the old receivers then it would be more possible. Yes there will always be some that can't receive OTA but that will be a minority of the over all. This is just something that was a thought that came to me after the failed test.

The thing is it doesn't necessarily have to be ota. It could be an alert to tune into a local station carried by dish or advising to check a noaa weather radio if sat signal is lost. The bottom line is this country is 1 big mass media & the information people need in an emergency is not getting to them. With the right tweaking and capable minds, many lives could be saved. Anything other than the way it is now would be a step in the right direction.

Update received this morning on the problems. Looks like FEMA screwed the pooch.
The regional PEP station didn't receive it from FEMA, so nothing aired in New Mexico; this seems to be the case for a lot of stations in the Western and Southwestern US. The PEP station is doing an RMT today as a backup to ensure our in-state connectivity is still working. As the state EAS Chair, I'm going to have a busy month following up on this.

Mike Snyder, KNME-TV
So the Albuquerque CBS station pulled a Directv and aired their "own" EAS Test (which was clearly marked KRQE)...

The test wasn't a huge success as they originally hoped it to be. Lots of distorted or no audio and lots of cases of no relay or detection. EAS still has a long way to go to be redundant for alerting with all the pit falls that can happen. I caught the test on Dish at about 2:11 I think on Animal Planet and all that happened was a crawl at the top of the screen advising the start and then the finish of the test. No other interruption in pgm audio or video. I hope the FCC doen;t go wild with their cash registers and NALS from this event.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts