Dish Family vs current packages

omarh

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I've had Dish Family for over 2 years now. I'm out of contract, and my 622 VIP still works but makes a lot of noise and doesn't seem very responsive.

The reason I'm on the Dish Family plan is because at my old house, my satellite signal reception was pretty bad and I couldn't watch any HD channels. I called Dish about it and they said that I'd have to pay to have someone come look at it.
I was kind of disgusted with that because I was paying that $6 a month fee that I thought was supposed to take care of these things. But I guess that's only for the receiver and not the satellite reception?
Anyway they were totally useless on the phone, and I threatened to cancel to which they said I was still under contract. That was totally news to me but apparently when I added some channels earlier I got renewed and didn't even realize it at the time.
So the cust rep told me that I'd have to keep my service under 15 months.
After some discussion it appeared that if I switched to the cheapest plan they had, I'd be paying only a few bucks more than the cancellation fee if I kept it until the 15 months was up.
So I decided to just keep the service with Dish Family and make do with it.

Now flash forward to today, I moved, and they gave me a free Dish Mover setup so I got a new dish at the new place, and now all my channels including HD work. I'm still on Dish Family though.

Now here is the issue...
I chatted with support online and they verified that I'm no longer under contract. Apparently using Dish Mover didn't renew my contract! I was pleasantly surprised by that.
I am thinking that its time to fix my pathetic tv package...dish family is too pathetic..hell I couldn't even watch monday night football when I had some friends over...
But I'm wary of renewing my contract with Dish again...what if the satellite signal stops coming in again...then I'll get into the whole problem again.
Not to mention, the weird way in which they renew contracts when you change programming but not when you use dish mover seems very hokey to me...I hate contracts as a result.
I guess I don't understand satellite tv...with Cable, they send a guy to fix it, as long as the problem isn't inside your house...but satellite, it seems you're on your own?

I'm not sure who told you what, but Dish does not and has never required a contract extension or new contract to switch programming prices.

Dish does require a 2 year contract to generally get a new receiver, get a new dish or get a special discount like 10 off your bill for 12 months.

But you can switch from one package to another with no contract required.

Please note dish family is no longer offered so if you give it up you can never get it again.

I've had Dish Family for over 2 years now. I'm out of contract, and my 622 VIP still works but makes a lot of noise and doesn't seem very responsive.

The reason I'm on the Dish Family plan is because at my old house, my satellite signal reception was pretty bad and I couldn't watch any HD channels. I called Dish about it and they said that I'd have to pay to have someone come look at it.
I was kind of disgusted with that because I was paying that $6 a month fee that I thought was supposed to take care of these things. But I guess that's only for the receiver and not the satellite reception?
Anyway they were totally useless on the phone, and I threatened to cancel to which they said I was still under contract. That was totally news to me but apparently when I added some channels earlier I got renewed and didn't even realize it at the time.
So the cust rep told me that I'd have to keep my service under 15 months.
After some discussion it appeared that if I switched to the cheapest plan they had, I'd be paying only a few bucks more than the cancellation fee if I kept it until the 15 months was up.
So I decided to just keep the service with Dish Family and make do with it.

Now flash forward to today, I moved, and they gave me a free Dish Mover setup so I got a new dish at the new place, and now all my channels including HD work. I'm still on Dish Family though.

Now here is the issue...
I chatted with support online and they verified that I'm no longer under contract. Apparently using Dish Mover didn't renew my contract! I was pleasantly surprised by that.
I am thinking that its time to fix my pathetic tv package...dish family is too pathetic..hell I couldn't even watch monday night football when I had some friends over...
But I'm wary of renewing my contract with Dish again...what if the satellite signal stops coming in again...then I'll get into the whole problem again.
Not to mention, the weird way in which they renew contracts when you change programming but not when you use dish mover seems very hokey to me...I hate contracts as a result.
I guess I don't understand satellite tv...with Cable, they send a guy to fix it, as long as the problem isn't inside your house...but satellite, it seems you're on your own?

I'm not sure who told you what, but Dish does not and has never required a contract extension or new contract to switch programming prices.

Dish does require a 2 year contract to generally get a new receiver, get a new dish or get a special discount like 10 off your bill for 12 months.

But you can switch from one package to another with no contract required.

Please note dish family is no longer offered so if you give it up you can never get it again.
You are correct about everything but Dish Family. It has been reinstated to existing Dish network customers only on 2-1!

omarh, if you would like me to look at your account and assist you in any way, I would be happy to. You can just PM me your account# or phone# and any questions or concerns. We can check your satellites and verify orbital slots for additional HD programming if you would like. You can HD programming free for life with no commitment as of 2-1 as well! You would need to upgrade to an AT package. Just let me know!

do you get any sports with it? Sped? Whats in it

You are correct about everything but Dish Family. It has been reinstated to existing Dish network customers only on 2-1!

omarh, if you would like me to look at your account and assist you in any way, I would be happy to. You can just PM me your account# or phone# and any questions or concerns. We can check your satellites and verify orbital slots for additional HD programming if you would like. You can HD programming free for life with no commitment as of 2-1 as well! You would need to upgrade to an AT package. Just let me know!

maryb@Dish Network said:
We don't have it updated on our website yet but it is 55 channels. Sorry Speed is not on this package!Outdoor channel is only one listed as sports in the package. Try this link: Dish Network | Dish Family Package

I thought I would mention that Discovery Kids is now the HUB. Nice that this includes Animal Planet. Does it no longer include CBS College Sports?

On a side note, I wanted to thank Mary for the times she has looked at my account and found a solution. She is definitely a great addition to these forums.

I thought I would mention that Discovery Kids is now the HUB. Nice that this includes Animal Planet. Does it no longer include CBS College Sports?
Sorry guys, I was running out to lunch and it was the only link I could find. No it does not have CBS College Sports and Discovery Kids is indeed Hub! I am working on putting the channels on Excel Spreadsheet and will post when I have completed!!

It says 55 channels in the family pack , but I only counted 37 listed channels on that site. Wonder what the other 18 are and why isn't HGTV listed as one?

I am working on putting the channels on Excel Spreadsheet and will post when I have completed!!

Mary was having some issues getting it uploaded so she was nice enough to send it to me to upload.

Here is the list courtesy of Mary :)

Attachments

• Dish Family Channels.xls
    33.5 KB · Views: 556
That's a great list thanks Mary I've been looking for an up-to-date list for a while now because I still have DISH Family at my other house. Also good to know that they will now offer it to existing customers, which hopefully means that Family won't suffer the same fate as DISH Absolute HD (at least for now.)

It shows E* greed when they can add Science to family, but the next option is AT250. Natgeo and Sci are on D*'s second pack! They should consider channel changes if they want DTV customers. Can I have a programmng big-wig's e-mail? Chat couldn't give me one.

Mary was having some issues getting it uploaded so she was nice enough to send it to me to upload.

Here is the list courtesy of Mary :)

That is very useful!
I was trying to figure out what I would gain/lose if I switched to another package, and not having the Dish Family package listed on the website was making it difficult to do that!
I have to say though, Dish's website comparing packages is much easier to navigate than Time Warner's page.

Based on the channel lineup..I won't be switch out of Dish Family any time soon.
I love the Boomerang channel, and the only other way to get it is with the Dish 250 plan...

Free HD For Life

I own my own equipment, have paid the one time EHD activation fee for the 211k, and have paid the one time $99 fee for "Free HD For Life".

Dish's website says "Must maintain minimum qualifying monthly programming..." under the terms of keeping the "Free HD For Life" active.

My questions are, if I switch to "Dish Family" during the non-sports season...

1) Will I still get the HD version of all Dish Family channels that have one available?
2) Will my "Free HD For Life" still be in tact when I switch back to AT120+ for football & basketball season?

In other words, does Dish Family = "qualfying monthly programming"?

Cheers

Dish Family Plan price increase?

Will Dish Family Plan stay at $24.99/month or will it also be subject to a $5/month increase? And will Dish Family Plan subscribers be included in the 2 year price freeze and the one year free Starz?

Pat

If you want the equipment covered, you should pay for the protection plan. Then it would cost little or nothing if your equipment experiences problems.

I own my own equipment, have paid the one time EHD activation fee for the 211k, and have paid the one time $99 fee for "Free HD For Life".

Dish's website says "Must maintain minimum qualifying monthly programming..." under the terms of keeping the "Free HD For Life" active.

My questions are, if I switch to "Dish Family" during the non-sports season...

1) Will I still get the HD version of all Dish Family channels that have one available?
2) Will my "Free HD For Life" still be in tact when I switch back to AT120+ for football & basketball season?

In other words, does Dish Family = "qualfying monthly programming"?

Cheers
The only HD channels that will show on the Dish Family is your locals, if available. You will still be eligible to get the HD free for life when you upgrade to a package that has an HD add-on (AT package).

Will Dish Family Plan stay at $24.99/month or will it also be subject to a $5/month increase? And will Dish Family Plan subscribers be included in the 2 year price freeze and the one year free Starz?

Pat
Dish Family Plan is $24.99 a month now and since increase have gone through already for 2-1. this is the current price. It is not included in the Price feeze and would not have qualified for the 12 months free of Starz, all accounts had to have AT, Dish America, or Latino MAX & DOS, prior to 2-1 to get that gift.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)