Dish for rv

Doughhead

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2018
Western desert
Hello all,
New poster here.I am hoping for help.
Here's what I've got . Dish network ,western arc,Wally receiver and king tailgator.
The system worked fine at first. It started taking longer to start,and eventually quit altogether.
I went through numerous restarts, moves,new cables and such . I have given up on the tailgator ,and switched to a dish on a tripod . I was told the hybrid lnb would work. No luck so far. Can anyone confirm, is this?
Thanks, Douhhead

Hello all,
New poster here.I am hoping for help.
Here's what I've got . Dish network ,western arc,Wally receiver and king tailgator.
The system worked fine at first. It started taking longer to start,and eventually quit altogether.
I went through numerous restarts, moves,new cables and such . I have given up on the tailgator ,and switched to a dish on a tripod . I was told the hybrid lnb would work. No luck so far. Can anyone confirm, is this?
Thanks, Douhhead

A Hybrid LNB should work fine with a Wally.

Reactions: pattykay
Ok thanks. I have tried the port # 1 , direct to Wally. When I check switch , it indicates 3 red x. Is my wiring correct?
It knows it's a hybrid lnb. Is there anyway a non tech

Ok update. After numerous restarts and check switch, it works. For the future, what satfinder app was it you recommend, and is there an inexpensive meter worth buying?

Reactions: NYDutch
Satfinder Lite is What I use. The 15$ meters on Amazon do a descent job but you can be on the wrong sat if you don't do your homework with Elevation Azmuth ranges first. Im always on the hunt for Superbuddies but finding a good one for sub 250$ is tricky especially in the summer.

Ok update
First location, unable to get signal. I tried for 3 days. Is there anyway to estimate clearing trees in the distance?
Second location, signal in about 2 hrs. It seems my elevation is way off. Where should I set up a magnetic protractor?
Will the cheap signal finder work with the hybrid lnb?
Thanks Doughhead

I use Dishpointer.com to get my settings, and the Dishpointer app on my smart phone to check for a clear view through trees for locating the tripod. I use a meter I bought on eBay for about $50 several years ago. It lets me choose which satellite and LNB port I'm aiming, and will show a lock on the western arc sats, but not the eastern arc. For eastern arc aiming, I just peak on the signal strength and quality readings.

I feel your pain.
First you have to have the vertical mounting post perfectly plumb. If not all your angles will be wrong.
Then you need to be aware that placing your compass / smartphone near metal (sat dish) can significantly effect the accuracy of the direction you're pointing.
I often failed to find signal with my tripod

First a Hybrid LNBF will not work with a regular meter. I have found that only Applied Industries Super Buddy 29 or later will work with a Hybrid LNBF.

Vertical mast is critical. Set the Skew on the dish before mounting on the tripod.

The dishpointer app will give you an idea where you have a hole in the trees. When it comes to aiming at satellite 119, the arm does not represent the satellite signal path. Because of the Skew, the 15 degree angle swings the signal beam to the right of the arm. Remember the signal runs from the center of the dish, really hard to get the smartphone down there.

The metal of the dish will affect the compass if the compass gets close to the dish. I usually added about 10 degrees to compensate for the Magnetic Deviation. Set the Elevation.

Since you don't have an effective meter, you can try using the receiver signal strength meter. You have to run the Switch Check and insure the Switch is identified as "Hybrid Triple WA.2". Then select Satellite 119 Transponder 11 and tuner 1.

While not cheap, the Super Buddy 29 makes it easy. With the Skew and Elevation set, I just swing until I get a hit on 119, then go back and fine tune for the best signal which the Super Buddy saw. Then check the other two satellites and I am done.

Ok, since I'm only in the West, might I be better off just to switch to a western arc lnb?

I find having both LNB's beneficial as we move around. I've used our eastern arc LNB in Arizona to get past an obstruction, as well as using the western arc LNB in the east for the same reason. Switching LNB's only takes a couple of minutes.

Reactions: pattykay
I just wonder if it's harder to get signal on a hybrid, and the inexpensive meter won't work . I wish my tailgator hadn't died so soon.

Not harder, just different.

When we started in 2006, we had a Winegard AS-2003 which was a single LNBF automatic roof dish. This is just like a dome like the tailgater. We had a VIP 622 DVR.

We lasted a month before the issues with the dish changing on the other viewer or because of a timer. That is when started to use a ground tripod. After learning the tricks of setting up the tripod, we were sorry we ever spent the money on the AS-2003. We average of 40 moves a year and we put the tripod every move. Until 2010 when we got a Trav'ler. That reduced our tripod mounts to a handful until this year, when for the EA we have put the tripod up 22 times.

Maybe if I only had a Wally, I might consider a dome. But the full satellite array and the ability to have the tripod a long distance from the RV and to be able to switch heads between the WA and the EA, the tripod is the way for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)