Dish & FTA

wildcatman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
Ok.. I have a question, but let me say first that it is NOT about hacking.

I would like to know if I could pick up a FTA receiver, unplug one of my current receivers, plug the FTA receiver up and receive free-to-air channels using my SuperDish (I didn't know if I can only receive Dish channels with my Dish antenna).

In addition, if it is possible, is it worth my effort? I know that there has been a sharp decline in the FTA channels available. Thanks in advance for your responses.

can you pick up stuff....yes
Is there much....not really

119 has NASA, Angel One & Dish 101 (and the audio channels SANS Sirius)
110 has the PPV preview channels (103/500)

Thanks Iceberg. I don't think I need to spend the money to get a bunch of previews and NASA.

With the new DBS/FSS LNB coming out for the Dish 1000+ dish will there be any additional opportunities for FTA viewing? I guess what I am really asking is, could the FSS part of the new Dish 1000+ LNBF be used for receiving FTA if the dish were repointed and used with an FTA IRD? Or will it only be compatible with DishPro equipment?

Yes, it will DP type and you can use bandstacking setttings for your FTA box, IF Dish will put up there any FTA channel beside "Congrat, you have D1000+ dish !".

It's a shame that Dish won't authorize our IRDs to receive FTA programming. There are a few channels that I would be willing to put up an extra dish to receive, but not enough to buy a separate FTA receiver. I wonder why they will not allow this, even for those of us who have purchased our receivers? We already subscribe to their programming - how much extra would it cost them?

Main reason I can see is FTA uses a multitude of symbol rates (Dish uses 20000 for everything but 105 where is 26000 and HD which is 21500 I think)

FTA can have any symbol rate out there so how would the box know what to pick up? Its easier (IMO) to have a good FTA box to use.

Iceberg, Dish's receivers capable of adapt to wide range of SR ( at least from 5 to 30 Mbps ), problem is to make SI tables user configurable - there is no non-volatile storage in Dish IRD.
Ibbis, that's rithoric question - same as about DVB-S2 or AC-3, etc. Money !!!

Iceberg said:
Main reason I can see is FTA uses a multitude of symbol rates (Dish uses 20000 for everything but 105 where is 26000 and HD which is 21500 I think)

FTA can have any symbol rate out there so how would the box know what to pick up? Its easier (IMO) to have a good FTA box to use.

That being the case, if Dish did permit it it seems to me that there would be a number of programmers out there who would use the same symbol rate that Dish uses just to gain the extra viewers. Anyone who wanted to keep their signal out of the public domain could use a different symbol rate, or use encryption. I wonder if this might be an issue that the FCC might be willing to look at. They are public airwaves and Dish is a licensed carrier. Perhaps a case could be made that it is in the public good to require this, kind of like how TV manufacturers were required to put UHF tuners in all TVs back in the 60s. In exchange perhaps the public access channel requirement could be lifted. A whole new market could open up for FTA satellite TV and equipment sales in this country! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)