Dish - get it from the local guy or 800 #?

gb387

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Just that I ordered my dish at the local State Fair to be installed on Sept 13th form a local company for getting that I had a 'club dish' card my parents wanted me to use. The local company will not honor/use the card since it takes 3 day or something to get the new account set up. Seemed to be a line, but he will give it to another customer?!?!? I thought I get free install and a $49 credit why would I give that to someone else.

-but-

Dish's 800 number will gladly honor it and set up a new account if I set up through them.

Reason I went with a local company was the thought I might get a better installer. What do you guys think?

Sounds like a "line" to me too.

Did you order from this retailer ?? Are they trying to charge you for installation ??

hall said:
Sounds like a "line" to me too.

Did you order from this retailer ?? Are they trying to charge you for installation ??

I ordered it from a local retailer.... its $50 when the installer installs then a credit on the first bill of $50 - I am told with the DishClub its no cost at install and $50 credit on the first bill and a credit to my parents for $5 for X months.

In the end it looks like it will save me $50. right?

screw the local installer, there are alot of things through dish that the local guy will say are extras or premium install.

You may wish to sign up through The DishStore...a SatelliteGuys sponsor. You won't be able to use ClubDish, but they will waive the $49 installation charge, plus Dish Network will still credit give you a $49 on your first bill if you sign up under Digital Home Advantage (DHA).

Club Dish is a pain in the arse (good luck getting credit) and I only received one credit out of 6 successful referals. Your best best for receiving ClubDish credit is to order service directly through Dish Network if that's your desire.

Local retailers/installers tend to be more experienced, but not always. Unless you can locate a reputable local retailer, or you require additional work beyond your basic install, then stick with Dish Network or The Dish Store IMO.

Try to find another local guy in the phone book. I would cal Dish and give them the retailers name that will not honor the ClubDish. He's too concerned about loosing the activation probably due to his cost of having the stand at the rair. Drop some names so we all know who this is. A far as ClubDish... I have never had a problem getting my credits. I'm peaked at $25.00 off each month.

RIRWIN1983 said:
screw the local installer, there are alot of things through dish that the local guy will say are extras or premium install.

Local retailers are what built Dish Network into what it is. I install for a DNS sub AKA "800#" and I guarantee you'll find incompetence and crookedness just as much with those installer.

Just tell the retailer that you'll sign up with him if he waived the $50 activation fee. This fee will still be credited to your first bill ( beleive it or not). Then just give your family the $50. problem solved.

Basically the clubdish card takes most of the money the retailer would have made on the sale away. Thats why they don't want to honor it. Call dish direct if you want to use it.

If you have heard of the local guy ( in business for some time) ask to speak to a tenured salesperson. Blatently ask them who is a good tech, and if they have someone they blow up, sign with them. Salespeople get paid peanuts, and hate bad techs. They always get feedback from their customers. You'll get a good skinny on that company. At the appointment, I would scope the tech. Did he wipe his shoes on the mat upon entering? yes is a taught and sure sign of respect and all that comes with it. If they make no effort to consider the way you look at them or try to rush you, send them packing. Then call you salesperson and bitch about what happened. If you have a bad first impression, you are likely to have the installation fee waived. Ask to talk to the install/service manager and tell them you have the competitor ready to go for $0 up front. If they balk, go direct. If they don't, insist on a quality tech.
Either way, the best route to a quality install is telling the guy that you'll pay him for a phone line or pole mount.* That extra $20-45 will make his day worth it, and likewise for you. But remember, scope out the guy and make sure he has things like phone line, wal plates, fish tape, etc. Don't be afraid to ask-it's your house!
Good luck and feel free to message with questions. I have worked with thousands of satellite customers and love to help.
Tom

In any circumstance, evaluate the installer at your front door. Ask if he has a fish tape, wall plates, phone wire, and tap-cons. The real deal will have all this-and know what you are talking about-and should be tipped for their fine work. Look for signs of simple courtesy like wiping their feet/taking shoes off without being told. The failures seriously need to be sent home and you should reschedule your appointment. Speak frankly, and no B.S. After all, it's your house.
Good Luck. Tom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts